Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fox News uses gigantic tablets to do the news (Read 130 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Fox News uses gigantic tablets to do the news
10/08/13 at 06:11:02

Hey, what?   You thought I was kiddin' ??  ----  really really really BIG tablets.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Fox News uses gigantic tablets to do the news
Reply #1 - 10/08/13 at 07:47:45

Back to some more serious stuff --- Bay Trail is out now and it outperforms all old Atom chipsets by 2x and it out performs some ARM chipsets on some tests and it can offer battery life in the same ball park (under certain circumstances).    yep, sounds all conditional, right?

So what makes Bay Trail tick?

First, Bay Trail can come packaged in a sub-board arrangement, it is not always a single chipset arrangement.   There is some in chip integration that Intel chooses to not do, but instead substitutes in various subsystems on a sub-board as needed.   This can make the current Bay Trail sort of bulky inside the case of a hand held product.

Next, power control is one of those separate subsystems.  Intel has a separate processor system just to choke back on their Bay Trail chipset to keep it power friendly when it naturally isn't that power friendly at all.  

Intel also has a new way of stating power usage since they don't like to use ARM's total processor loaded maximum power usage nomenclature (they suck at it, BTW).

Intel will always state a power usage number that is close to ARM's number -- it doesn't mean the same thing though.    Please also note there is some evidence that Bay Trail is being throttled back by their energy management chipset to performance levels that are below ARM's performance levels simply to keep batteries from dying too early.   http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/9/18/bay-trail-performance-preview-...  

Intel chipsets do cost 2-4 times as much as an ARM chipset in any application that both can do about at the same level (software counts here and Microsoft is still trying to get that down right).

Android isn't something Intel does as well as ARM can do, so some shaking out needs to take place before folks start doing head to head comparisons all over the place.   Comparing an ARM/Android to an Intel/Android is still not really possible right now.

Intel will get better --- it took them 2 redesigns and 3 years to bring their team out on the ball field and get the game going.

Now here is the good news -- Intel is on the field finally and the ball game has finally started.   ARM is going through their 64 bit transition right now and Intel is shaking out their line-up trying to get the boys helmets on straight.  Everybody is looking for fumbles and interceptions as the game size is going up into the 50 BILLIONS of products shipped level this year and is increasing greatly next year.

BlackBerry and HTC and Nokia are in the process of being bought out, going broke or basically exiting the playing field, carrying all their wounded with them.

The new guys are coming on really really big from the Far East, the big driving progress is going to stop coming from the old USA based companies and switch over to basing out of South Korea and China.

Samsung is the biggest portable consumer electronics player right now, trading world leadership on and off with Apple.   BTW, this is a HUGE come down for Apple.  Microsoft isn't even in the top 4 any more.   There is no 800 pound gorilla any more, just a bunch of larger monkeys.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 10/08/13 at 09:21:44

I will miss HTC... I really wanted to get one of those.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/08/13 at 18:02:15

HTC phones are laid out very easy to work on too, I'll miss them for that reason LOL   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 10/08/13 at 18:50:13

My neighbor has a rotary phone, which is promised to me when he dies.  Not worth fixing his food but worth waiting for.   (We loose cable and power and often cell reception, but not once have we lost rotary phone service in our neighborhood. Cheesy

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/09/13 at 08:24:48

You have alternatives now to a rotary phone that are MUCH less expensive than they used to be.  

AT&T is actually pushing out an OS upgrade to all the Firefox OS ZTE phones that folks had bought on Ebay and hauled into the stores for them to hook up.  

AT&T is really supporting an open OS phone -- THAT is amazing to me, not only are they supporting the little bootleg phones that they didn't sell, they are actually starting to sell them in their stores for the same $80 price point.

http://liliputing.com/2013/10/firefox-os-1-1-brings-basic-features-including-...

You can pick up an unlocked ZTE Open with support for AT&T for just $80, which is probably the most attractive thing about the phone (and Firefox OS) at the moment.

Will wonders never cease?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 10/09/13 at 09:35:31

Thing is though, most cell phone companies are charging $30 a month to have the "data phone" connected to their service.
And still charging for data downloaded per meg. or only allowing for so many mg.s then charging out the yin yang for whatever you go over.
There are no "free text/talk/data" rates that don't charge for data downloaded.... the "free" is always limited to a specific amount of data downloaded.
I went to wallyworld and checked on the "advertised" free Iphone thing and you have to sign up for a contract....even tho they advertise "no contract", the no contract applies to the cheapo non-data plans.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 10/10/13 at 01:16:05

old_rider wrote on 10/09/13 at 09:35:31:
Thing is though, most cell phone companies are charging $30 a month to have the "data phone" connected to their service.
And still charging for data downloaded per meg.
or only allowing for so many mg.s then charging out the yin yang for whatever you go over.
There are no "free text/talk/data" rates that don't charge for data downloaded.... the "free" is always limited to a specific amount of data downloaded.
I went to wallyworld and checked on the "advertised" free Iphone thing and you have to sign up for a contract....even tho they advertise "no contract", the no contract applies to the cheapo non-data plans.

This is ridiculous.

Over here my wife, my son and I pay €10/month for 400 mins call time (incoming calls are paid for by the caller) 400 text messages and unlimited data.
Unlimited means unlimited. Older contracts may have a 2GB or 4GB limit, after which HSDPA is toggled to 56k download (pig slow)
but the three of us pay €30 for the entire family and only my 15y.o. son will even hardly reach the limit on his iPhone3GS - my wife and I have Samsung smartphones running Android 4.1.2, updated more or less weekly.

My 74y.o.mother ditched her landline and is now running a "homephone" off 3G wireless,

it's basically a GSM phone in the shape of your typical tabletop landline phone; the signal is strong and she comes through clean as a whistle.

I stand to be corrected but you are billed/charged for "airtime" meaning you pay even for incoming calls?
We had similar billing some 20 years ago but it wasn't received well at all by the public, and the wireless companies soon got the message; these days nobody in his right mind would ever consider charging for incoming calls, the only exception being satellite telephone services such as those provided by comanies as Inmarsat, Iridium, Thuraya and Globalstar.

As for the phones themselves... an unlocked Samsung Duo"S", 4.8" screen running Android Jellybean, retails for €140 on Amazon.it ; similar prices for Samsung S2 and S3, you choose the service provider.
On the other hand, if I choose a "locked-to-service provider" phone, the phone is generally free with a 2-year contract.

http://eshop.vodafone.it/cellulari-e-smartphone/smartphone/?ecmp=002_SEM_P

I can't believe mobile phones are so expensive over there.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/10/13 at 08:06:04

I had a big tablet in first grade,, pretty danged big pencil, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/10/13 at 08:50:52

"Fox News uses gigantic tablets to do the news"...

I hear that the operators manual recommends stretching exercises before use...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/10/13 at 09:10:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/10/13 at 08:06:04:
I had a big tablet in first grade,, pretty danged big pencil, too.

That wasn't a pencil, it was a chisel.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/10/13 at 10:01:24

http://liliputing.com/2013/10/lenovo-confirms-upcoming-ideapad-a10-android-la...

Obviously, this item really intended isn't for the USA where Android is only seen as a phone/tablet "entertainment" OS.   It is intended for the Orient, where Android is THE OS of choice for work and entertainment.

The screen folds over backwards (keyboard facing down) to be used in tablet mode.  When folded back into laptop mode you have a full sized typing keyboard to use to type on.  

(with full finger swipe multi-touch still available on the screen to run all those touch only apps)

It is a mainstream Android laptop to do light real work on, complete with heavy duty texting, gaming and entertainment.

It is the first of the new mainstream Android devices to hit reality by a major PC/laptop supplier.

It isn't the last.   Android and its direct descendants will become full function OS systems that will do real work and will eventually replace PC type devices.

HP has one coming.

Dell has one coming.

Lenovo just got theirs out first.

Notice please that a Rockchip RK3188 is enough processor to run a light Android laptop.   This is a very inexpensive tablet chipset right now at <$12 each for a thousand purchase quantity.

Microsoft and Intel need to be very very afraid if this idea takes off -- the big new market for computing expansion is the Orient and Indo-China and South America.  

These are the people who really LIKE Android and have grown up on it as their "XP".  

Such folks would be perfectly happy with this $200 laptop that does everything they have ever needed just fine .....

And if all the Chinese rip off guys go with the idea, the price will be $125 (or less).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 10/11/13 at 03:11:48

As America quietly slides down more and more into 2nd World Power conditions, we will look back fondly on all the stuff that used to be based out of US corporations that came out aimed at us and our particular world view.

NOTHING new seems to be aimed at our market any more, the target markets that all the new stuff are aimed at are Chinese and Indo-Chinese.

Product announcements are coming out daily now about Allwinner going 64 bit in 2015 and Rockchip going 64 bit in 2014 and Allwinner coming out with an Octa core by the first of 2014 to "dominate" Rockchip's first 64 bit effort.   Each market seems to have its own competitive pairings and they all are duking it out furiously.

The big boys (Apple/Samsung) are slugging it out continuously in Europe and America, providing lots of fun and sparks, but it is Qualcomm who is actually producing most of the upper end phone/tablet chips that are in use today.

Qualcomm is in more upper end products right now than the rest of the players combined.   That is sort of scary interesting, now isn't it?

ARM and Qualcomm have a different approach to chip building and both have elements that the other could profit from copying (and as an ARM design licensee Qualcomm does copy some innovations from ARM's stock bag of tricks, but that street is one-way only).  

Qualcomm has a totally optimized and tweeked A9 Krait coreset at 2.3 gigahertz with 4 cores and a large chipset that has absolutely everything about a phone/tablet fully tuned and integrated on the chipset itself.   Qualcomm sells a do-all totally tweeked and tuned complete solution to your phone/tablet needs at a healthy premium price.

The rest of the circuit board on a Qualcomm phone and tablet is pretty empty as the Qualcomm chipset does most all of everything right on the chipset itself.

This makes Qualcomm the absolute winner in 2013-14 as no one can compete with their level of custom tuning right now.

However, the A9 platform is getting long in the tooth now, even the Chinese cheapie guys will totally leave the A9 platform space next year and roll into something faster and more capable.

Qualcomm is silent about what they are going to do until they release it out to their phone design partners, so we don't get a bunch of press releases out of Qualcomm about what their plans for 64 bit actually are.  

Krait is their core brand name and their cores aren't ARM standard designs, so they could cook up a 64 bit Krait that continues in line with their current chipset design flow.   Goodness knows, if they have an A-9 base cooking at 2.3 ghz right now what they could do with a more efficient and faster A50 series thought at 16-20nm manufacturing process.

It is funny.   Samsung actually uses Qualcomm's Krait 800 in any market that requires 4G and really big power.   Samsung makes their own chipsets but they will use Qualcomm to sell "the best" in the 4G markets that demand the best.

Right now that is their 8 core Exynos 5420 in the older 3G markets, and Qualcomm Krait 800 in the 4G markets.

Intel sees Qualcomm as their direct competitor and aims all efforts at out doing Qualcomm's integrated systems.  This is sorta sad as the only way Intel can even go into phone space right now is with a sub-board system with a power choking control chip system to get their stuff to be "energy friendly".

And Qualcomm cheerfully prices their product to be slightly cheaper than Microsoft's at a higher performance level.

Qualcomm is raking it in right now, believe me.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:22:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fox News uses gigantic tablets to do the news

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.