Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Master cylinder port question, spuratic rich condi (Read 103 times)
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Master cylinder port question, spuratic rich condi
10/06/13 at 16:49:23

Hey this is my first time posting I believe... I just finished building, or should I say unbuilding my savage. I went to take it on the first test ride and noticed two things. One the front brakes are locking up to the point of not being able to move. I've noticed a few things, the brake lever will get very stiff when they lock up, and I can open the bleeder and the caliper will release. I've cleaned the master cylinder but was unsure of the ports inside, there are two one where I can see the plunger actuating underneath, the other looks blocked with a piece I'd metal (should that be open). Next problem is a spuratic rich running condition in the main circut, I think I've narrowed it to a leaking enrichment valve ( aka choke on these bikes). Any body have any advice for a sinking ship

« Last Edit: 10/07/13 at 13:33:43 by ChrisTech »  
  IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Master cylinder port question cleaning
Reply #1 - 10/06/13 at 16:54:22

Pic of the bike finished, if you like staring at motorcycles all day like I do

image_122.jpg
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #2 - 10/06/13 at 17:32:33

Not wild about the stang (sorry I'm a chevy guy)  Wink But the bike looks gorgeous! I do share your affinity for staring at bikes, I don't know much about your specific problems but I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will help ya out

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/07/13 at 07:43:13

There are two holes and two rubber seals on the Master Cylinder, along with an outer rubber dust seal.  The first seal (one farthest in) is the pressure seal, and is the one that pushes the fluid and make the pressure.  It should be located in a way that the fluid from the reservoir can fill the area in front of the piston while at rest - but as soon as the piston starts moving it will move past the port and start making pressure.  The second seal is at the back of the aluminum slotted piston and it keep never builds up pressure, and it is there to keep the fluid contained and diverts any fluid that gets past the first piston back into the reservoir.

When you let the lever back....there should be nothing holding pressure back in the line....it should all bleed off.  If there is nothing wrong with your master cylinder - then maybe you have a defective brake line.  Sometimes a flap of rubber will come loose and allow the pressure to go toward the brake....but not let it bleed back as the loose flap of rubber will seal things off.

You said the pressure is relieved if you loosen the bleed....try loosening the fitting up at the Master Cylinder.  If the pressure goes away....the problem is in the Master Cylinder.  If the pressure remains....the problem is in the brake line.

« Last Edit: 10/07/13 at 08:49:47 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/07/13 at 10:40:22

Ok thanks for the suggestion, I plan on pulling the whole master cylinder, brake line and caliper off for a good cleaning and once over. Anybody els experienced the same issue I am having, Or any epierience with a leaking enrichment valve or intermittently running rich?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/07/13 at 11:21:45

Do you have the stock vacuum petcock....or the Raptor replacement?

IP Logged
ChrisTech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/07/13 at 13:30:15

Raptor petcock
Screamin eagle pipe
Cone filter
50 pilot, 150 main w/ homemade washer underneath until the new one arrives (but is copper and about the same width).
I've noticed that when it's running rich (aka I open the throttle and the engine Boggs down and some black smoke comes out of the pipe). I've noticed that when I put tension on the choke plunger it corrects the problem and the bike revs like it should. I've ridden the bike for a while with no issue this is all out of the blue. I have extensively cleaned the carb I know every jet and every passage , every spring and diaphragm in this thing. Thanks for the replys man, I think I'm getting close to achieving an 86 daily driver

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Master cylinder port question, spuratic rich c
Reply #7 - 10/07/13 at 13:48:06

If you take the enrichment lever out - is the seat in good shape and does the plunger work at the notched stops?

One member had to replace the plunger as the stops would no longer work properly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:28:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Master cylinder port question, spuratic rich condi

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.