Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting a flooded Savage (Read 134 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Starting a flooded Savage
10/05/13 at 23:41:02

So, I put a new Raptor fuel tap on the Savage. Now, if I forget to turn the tap off when I stop it, the float needle leaks a little and fuel goes into the airbox, and presumably, the other way too. Ironically, the old vac one works perfectly still. It's a bear to start when its happened (twice now). Anyone got Savage specific tips on how to get the thing going again? I needed to drain the float bowl, remove the spark plug and wind it over quite a bit before it cleared up enough to run. Guess I'll be changing the oil this week.
Got a DR250 with a CV carb too, it's a similar pain to start if it lies down and floods.
Cheers
s

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Starting a flooded Savage
Reply #1 - 10/06/13 at 00:19:50

Fix the carb..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SteveIsGr8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jamestown, NC
Reply #2 - 10/06/13 at 04:20:03

If you flood can engine with a carb the drill to start is typically to make sure the choke/enrichment circuit is off, then turn the throttle wide open and start cranking. Don't let the throttle off of wide open between the 3 to 5 seconds of cranking. Once the bike starts leave the throttle open until it clears and then it should be good. YMMV

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/06/13 at 06:37:59

SteveIsGr8 wrote on 10/06/13 at 04:20:03:
If you flood can engine with a carb the drill to start is typically to make sure the choke/enrichment circuit is off, then turn the throttle wide open and start cranking. Don't let the throttle off of wide open between the 3 to 5 seconds of cranking. Once the bike starts leave the throttle open until it clears and then it should be good. YMMV

I am not sure this drill works with a CV carb.  The drill works with a normal carb as holding the throttle wide open makes a big hole in the carb, and the venturi effect is low and little vacuum results....so the engine gets lots of air and very little (or no) new fuel.  With a CV carb the slide stays down and keeps the vacuum high, and may still allow new fuel to be pulled into the flooded engine.  It may however still work if the throttle butterfly does not direct the vacuum right at the idle circuit opening in the throat.

The best thing for you to do is fix your carb.  When the needle and seat work properly - the bikes don't flood.  I only turn my Raptor off at the end of the day, and I have never had a problem flooding when the bike sits.  I also have gotten into a habit of turning the Raptor off a the end of my street when I am headed home.....the carb is out of gas by the time I hit my garage and the bike doesn't sit with much fuel in the carb while parked in the garage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/06/13 at 07:09:48

park it with nose higher than tail and if it leaks it will go into the airbox.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/06/13 at 07:18:47

+1  on fix the float valve -- it isn't that hard.

Having a perenial float valve leaker on you hands is dangerous as you are only pacing time until you get a intake spitback with an air box full of gasoline.

Not funny -- not fun.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
danjray

Connecticut
Reply #6 - 10/06/13 at 07:47:42

I don't have a leaky carb currently, but out of curiosity, when you guys say fix the carb, what does that entail? So what part of it is broken to cause the sticky/leaky slide needle?

2012 LS650 Boulevard S40
~11k Miles and counting fast
Mech Engr Student and backyard tinkerer
  IP Logged
SteveIsGr8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jamestown, NC
Reply #7 - 10/06/13 at 08:03:47

Dave wrote on 10/06/13 at 06:37:59:
SteveIsGr8 wrote on 10/06/13 at 04:20:03:

I am not sure this drill works with a CV carb.  The drill works with a normal carb as holding the throttle wide open makes a big hole in the carb, and the venturi effect is low and little vacuum results....so the engine gets lots of air and very little (or no) new fuel.  With a CV carb the slide stays down and keeps the vacuum high, and may still allow new fuel to be pulled into the flooded engine.  It may however still work if the throttle butterfly does not direct the vacuum right at the idle circuit opening in the throat.

The best thing for you to do is fix your carb.  When the needle and seat work properly - the bikes don't flood.  I only turn my Raptor off at the end of the day, and I have never had a problem flooding when the bike sits.  I also have gotten into a habit of turning the Raptor off a the end of my street when I am headed home.....the carb is out of gas by the time I hit my garage and the bike doesn't sit with much fuel in the carb while parked in the garage.

Worked on both mine and my sons when we got them used and had the same issue. Just need to crank them a bit longer to clear them out. But then again, YMMV

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/06/13 at 09:16:53

danjray wrote on 10/06/13 at 07:47:42:
I don't have a leaky carb currently, but out of curiosity, when you guys say fix the carb, what does that entail? So what part of it is broken to cause the sticky/leaky slide needle?

Float needle assembly, to get to it you drop the bowl and tap out one pin to free the float, the spring retainted/assisted float needle assembly comes off with the float.   The float seat.jet needs to come off so you can clean the little filter underneath it (this should be done assuming you find a lot of loose crap in your bowl).

Plan on replacing your weak headed allen bowl screws with stainless allen wrench heads -- not doing this spells trouble later on.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/06/13 at 09:21:01

& a little anti-seize on those bolts will help..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 10/06/13 at 15:40:45

Thanks for the input, guys. I realise the best thing to do is to fix the carb. That means ordering a new needle (done), which could be a couple of weeks before it arrives. It's an easy job. The wide open throttle thing doesn't work with CV carbs (In my experience) and I am getting into the habit of turning the fuel off. Never had to do that with the stock tap, so I didn't realise the needle leaked until it started leaking, you know? By then it was already flooded. Best I came up with is take the plug out and crank for a wile to clear it. On the Up side, I have a few more chrome head covers for Dave's chrome armadillo if he comes to get them  Wink They're not going back on if I cant get the plug out without pulling the bike apart.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/06/13 at 17:15:06

gizzo wrote on 10/06/13 at 15:40:45:
. On the Up side, I have a few more chrome head covers for Dave's chrome armadillo if he comes to get them  Wink They're not going back on if I cant get the plug out without pulling the bike apart.

That is not "my" chrome Armadillo....that is Serowbot's idea!  I got a couple to donate to him however.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:30:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting a flooded Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.