Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Swamp Angel (Read 303 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
The Swamp Angel
10/02/13 at 10:49:03

Ok well, remeber yesterday when I said it was going to be next week when I would have my new project bike dissasembled, I lied.

I was able to get quite a lot done with a can of PB blaster in my hands.

here she is all stripped down. Things are looking rough, lots of rust, but in time she will shine again.

1986 model

I think rats might have been living in this muffler.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: The Swamp Angel
Reply #1 - 10/02/13 at 10:53:57

Wow!... how long was that thing submerged in the swamp?... Shocked...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 10/02/13 at 10:57:43

The guy I bought it from told me it had been out there 4 years, but I would guess longer.

IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #3 - 10/02/13 at 11:12:13

Wow ! Looking forward to continue reading this thread see how your rebuild is going enjoy reading about bringing back poor abused machines back to the living.. Smiley

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 10/02/13 at 18:58:58

Keep the photos coming.   Shocked

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/02/13 at 19:07:36

Kelly Moore paint store,, Quart jug of dilute phosphoric acid,, about $8.00,maybe less. Goes a LOOONG way,, turns iron oxide to iron phosphate,, no longer rust,,goes from red to black, its Hard, Only woirks one layer deep, no scale or it wont work,I keep a quart, always,, slip on a rubber glove, dampen a small rag & wipe it on,, read& follow directions, dont get the gel,, it sux,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 10/03/13 at 06:02:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/02/13 at 19:07:36:
Kelly Moore paint store,, Quart jug of dilute phosphoric acid,, about $8.00,maybe less. Goes a LOOONG way,, turns iron oxide to iron phosphate,, no longer rust,,goes from red to black, its Hard, Only woirks one layer deep, no scale or it wont work,I keep a quart, always,, slip on a rubber glove, dampen a small rag & wipe it on,, read& follow directions, dont get the gel,, it sux,,

Dont think we have a Kelly Morre paint store but I did pick up a bottle of Ospho, pretty sure its the same stuff, at ACE for like $10. Also have a can of tal-strip II for removing old clear, left over from my last build

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/03/13 at 06:50:55

Ospho it is,, I found oout about it when I was working on a drill ship in Mobile Bay in about 78. Sandblasting, needle gunning, & wiping Ospho.,,watching rust turn black was cool..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #8 - 10/03/13 at 07:43:48

spent many a day skipping class and fishing mobile bay as a boy   Cool

Do you know if ospho is safe on painted surfaces?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/03/13 at 14:13:09

Ive wiped it on rusted areas from chipped paint.. Neversaw any damage to thepaint,, Of course I wipe paint with a damp rag after,,

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 07/29/14 at 10:52:26

I am sorry everyone I just sort of started and then stopped all at once. As it often has a tendency to do, life has gotten in the way of best laid plans. So the project was stopped dead in its stracks almost a year ago due to my living situation. I was in a bad situation, thats really all that needs to be said, and I figured it was as good a time as any to make my first home purchase. (what a PIA)
    It took 7 months to find and close on a house and the bike sat almost completely dissasembled in my shed. Now that I am moved the bike has surfaced again as a priority, however, the new house has no garage  Angry
    So I will be bringin the bike back in the house as I am known to do. At least until I can have a grage built. But I am starting work again with a Lycan'esk sport cruiser cafe job in mind. Pics and updates coming soon.  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 07/29/14 at 11:04:42

Yup,.. that's the bike I remember...

Was this the original owner, by any chance?...  Huh...
Arrghh!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 07/29/14 at 12:58:19

actually they do look pretty similar.  Grin

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 07/29/14 at 14:29:57

To clean rust from chrome and not damage the chrome, I used oxalic acid. Put that into the 'googler' and you will see where people use it to bring chrome back to life...will clean everything but corrosion and pitting.  Did it myself and was shocked (in a good way) at the results.  Usually you let it soak for hours or overnight and let it work it's magic.

You can buy the powder online or do what I did...get some wooden deck cleaner from the 'box' store on clearance.  Read the labels...most deck cleaners are mostly oxalic acid and you just pour it in a pan and drop your parts in it to soak overnight...the acid does it's work and the other ingredients in the wood cleaner don't hurt anything.  

Did some of my chrome bike parts 2+ years ago and still have no signs of flaking, peeling, discoloration, etc...

Good luck!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/29/14 at 14:33:15

Thats what I use also. Oxalic acid is also known as "wood bleach" and can be found online or some local stores depending on where you live.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 10:29:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Swamp Angel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.