Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rtv sealant for valve cover gasket and found a par (Read 367 times)
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rtv sealant for valve cover gasket and found a par
10/01/13 at 19:46:13

I asked in a previous forum what type of rtv sealant to use as a valve cover gasket and I think wd said gray? I wanted to make sure this is correct because I saw in a tech topic that y'all use red rtv for the head seal cap.

My next question is I found what looks like to be a small metal dowel rod, it's about an inch maybe inch and a half long and I don't know where it came from, right now my the two cases are open so it must have came out in either one of those? Anyone have any ideas?

I'm going to ride whether I have to push this bike or not!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Rtv sealant for valve cover gasket and found a
Reply #1 - 10/01/13 at 20:45:21

The dowel rod sounds like one of your case alignment pins...someone more knowledgeable will jump in and help, I have yet to have to pull the head off.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/01/13 at 22:18:46

I hope it ain't a pain in the butt to put back in

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/01/13 at 23:25:01

I doubt that there is whole lot of difference... and I've sealed things with dollar store RTV that worked fine...
... but, when in doubt,... making a seal... use Hondabond, or Yamaboond...  This stuff costs triple the cheap stuff, but you use so little, a tube will last you for years...
I know car guys that go to the Honda dealer for Hondabond...
It's grey... and if you fail with Hondabond it's your fault, not the sealant...

...and, isn't it comforting to know,... when you're kicking yer a$$ 'cause it didn't seal,... you're kicking the right person?...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/02/13 at 02:59:38

Your head alignment pins are hollow roll pin of some decent size that are oriented around screw holes.    There are two of them.

Do you have a Clymers manual?

Can you take and post a digital pic of the pin you are asking about?  Take a pic of the cases you refer to having taking apart since you have reposted in a new thread and are separated now from all your past information.  

(go up to top of this section and read the posting guidelines for why you don't do this).

There are several solid pins associated with the valve mechanism but they are retained by screws and such.  Some are close to 1 1/2 inches.  Is there a groove cut into this pin (or a flat)?

=================

RTV comes in all sorts of colors now, so pick one that matches the paint on your head.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/02/13 at 05:25:05

I would suggest you buy the Suzukibond, Yamabond, Hondabond....it is the right stuff to to the job.  It only takes a thin strip to seal.....just enough to coat the parts and barely ooze out the seam.  It is the sealer between the flat sections that does the sealing....not the stuff that oozes out the seam.  If you put on too much you can block the oil passages inside.

Whatever you choose.....don't do this:

headsealplug-033_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/02/13 at 06:18:10

Look at this parts diagram.  There are round pins (#5 and #6) that align the head cover to the head, and one has a rubber O-ring with it.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432111&catego...

Or is the pin from the case halves?

IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/02/13 at 06:46:47

Thanks Dave, that pic kind of looks like what I did, so I got to take the valve cover back off and I'm going to get some bond for next time I'm I go to the power sports store.
As far as the part goes I can't find manual right now but I was looking at a diagram on bike bandit and so far I think it maybe the pin to the starter clutch but I'm not sure

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/02/13 at 08:05:24

Yes,.. it goes on very thin... these surfaces practically seal themselves, they will squeeze out nearly all excess RTV.... and some may squeeze into bad places...
Thin as paint,.. not toothpaste...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 10/02/13 at 08:13:10

When using rtv this way, put a very thin layer of non-silicone grease on one mating surface.  It won't affect the seal, and the next time you have to take it apart, all the cured rtv will stick to one surface and not to the other at all.  This usually allows you to not have to use rtv again for reassembly,... in effect you have a permanent gasket.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/02/13 at 08:13:14

Each large part that assembles will have 2 locating pins.  Some of these pins are solid - some are hollow and have a bolt pass through them.  It required 2 pins to properly locate and lock the parts together.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/02/13 at 08:15:33

Gyrobob wrote on 10/02/13 at 08:13:10:
When using rtv this way, put a very thin layer of non-silicone grease on one mating surface.  It won't affect the seal, and the next time you have to take it apart, all the cured rtv will stick to one surface and not to the other at all.  This usually allows you to not have to use rtv again for reassembly,... in effect you have a permanent gasket.

Wow.....I sure don't like this idea......it is certainly not the method that the factory uses when they assemble the case halves or head cover at the factory.  I have no problem using this method on one side of a fiber gasket....but not with sealant.

IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/02/13 at 09:12:15

I'm really thinking of using some thin layer of black or gray rtv because I have some extra I haven't used.  The pin is solid not hollow and has no grooves or cuts or flat surfaces on it besides the ends

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #13 - 10/02/13 at 11:40:07

TheProduct2007 wrote on 10/02/13 at 06:46:47:
Thanks Dave, that pic kind of looks like what I did, so I got to take the valve cover back off and I'm going to get some bond for next time I'm I go to the power sports store.
As far as the part goes I can't find manual right now but I was looking at a diagram on bike bandit and so far I think it maybe the pin to the starter clutch but I'm not sure

Weird, I thought I posted this morning but checking back now I see it did not post?
Anyways, I think your right, it is the shaft for the starter gear.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/02/13 at 12:14:15

Gerry that looks exactly like it, thanks man

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rtv sealant for valve cover gasket and found a par

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.