YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: How old are you ?
Reply #60 - 10/08/13 at 12:34:26

kimchris1 wrote on 10/08/13 at 10:47:57:
Also I remember nothing in the car but the am station.
Guys remember when their wasn't even an fm station?
OMG I am getting younger by the minute.. Smiley kim

Yep:

My first car I got in 1972 was a 1950 Pllymouth.  I lived in Ohio near Youngstown, and after dark I tuned the AM radio to WCFL in Chicago.  Then a while later I got a converter to change the 6 volts to 12 volts and installed a SEARS 8 track player under the seat.  I listened to Melanie, The Guess Who, Johnny Cash, The Ventures.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #61 - 10/08/13 at 16:32:13

I still have a pioneer ps-1 turntable in storage along with a few boxes of albums and even some 45's and 78's.  It has the red and white push plugs so it will still hook up with anything that will accept that type of connection. Our family still had the big Stereo Console you could play all types of records on and it had the new fandangled fm dial too! I graduated in 77' and mom and dad still had it in 85' when I went to visit on leave from the air force. I don't know what ever happened to it, my parents were adopted and after mom passed, dad remarried and we lost contact.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #62 - 10/08/13 at 19:56:31

Even most people alive at the time didn't see one of these- they were pretty rare.

2002 Savage, 2005 HD E-Glide Classic
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #63 - 10/08/13 at 20:24:25

Very interesting, I'd heard of and listened to 16 rpm records, they were made for talking or conversations, I remember them as either 78 or 33 size. I take it the ad is mid 'fifties to early sixties. Most American stuff avadable here at that time was what you guys would have thought was very basic. Chev Belairs. Ford Customlines or Galaxies, Dodge Kingway and the Plymouth equivalent, and a bit later Pontiac Laurentians and Chev Impalas. They were very expensive and difficult to obtain.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #64 - 10/08/13 at 20:50:04

My 21 year old son just got to see his first record being played a few months ago.  He thought that was so neat!

You should have seen him with the old double bell wind-up alarm clock.  It quit working in a couple days.  He asked me to take a look at it. Told me he thought the battery might be dead.  Had to explain the whole concept of winding it up.  He was 16 or 17 at the time.

He lived most of his life with his mom.  I just got to see him on weekends.  Guess she didn't teach him very much about things like that.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #65 - 10/09/13 at 02:52:43

Quote:
I take it the ad is mid 'fifties to early sixties.

It's 1956.  I believe that was near the end for DeSoto.

Chrysler only offered the record player for 1956 as it wasn't very popular.  It didn't work very well, the records would skip on all but the smoothest roads.

They re-introduced a better version in the early 1960s, but that, too, only lasted a short time.

"Pontiac Laurentian" reminded me that US car makers used to re-badge cars for the Canadian market- that was one of the brands.  The same car in the US was called the Catalina, I believe.  Guess they thought that the Canadian models needed their own identity or something.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #66 - 10/09/13 at 04:56:49

I have an upright record player/radio (radio on top, drawer that pulls out with the record player on it down below) that belonged to my grandfather, my mother says she remembers them buying it when she was in high school, either 1949-50.  Can't remember what size records it plays.  Plans have always been to restore it, but haven't done it yet.  Its in really good physical shape though.  My husband always wanted to get one of the new old-looking players to pop in it so it would actually play.  Also have an old friend's cabinet style, wide record player/8-track/radio and tons of albums that we still throw on, on occasion.  Sounds like crap, but still runs well.   I like to put on Carole King Tapestry while I clean house...  

Was also thinking about "film".  I referred to filming something, but everything being digital now, do the kids still call it filming?  Are major motion pictures still shot with film?  And are they still called "major motion pictures"?  Funny to think about that term too...  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #67 - 10/10/13 at 07:04:20

They still call it "filming", although a lot of it is digital these days.

Similarly, the nice lady voice's on my car's Bluetooth hands-free tells me to say "dial" when I want to make a call, even though no cellphone has ever had a dial . . .

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #68 - 10/10/13 at 11:12:33

Curiously enough, a lot of our 1951-4 Dodges Plymouths and De Soto's came from a factory in Belgium.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #69 - 10/10/13 at 11:24:16

My first car was a 62 Chevy/4door/283/2 speed slip & slide
I found an 8 track that had a head adjustment knob, so I could tune the head to read the tape & not "dual-track"..I got a Slide In  mount & put one
in the house. Bass 48 speakers were the hot ticket in 71 or 2. With a little 12 V supply in the house I had a tape deck in the bedroom & it slipped in the car. 62 chevy had the glove box between the seats, in the dash, so, it went in there, just left the thing open,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #70 - 10/10/13 at 13:13:09

I had a 64 fleetwood with the slide out 8 track,but left the door unlocked in the city, while on an errand, and the 8 track dissapeared. Durn it.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #71 - 10/10/13 at 16:04:14

Was born 12/10/1971 and my wife was born 07/03/1963

I remember eight tracks, LPs, cassettes, and do ya'll remember the first digital movie disks? The size of a 33 record and you even had to turn them over to watch the second half of the movie. They obviously didn't last long but we were the kings of the neighborhood to the neighbor kids when my mother bought one. We only had three movies. Benji, Grease, and Cannonball Run, but that didn't matter.

I also remember three on the tree, four on the floor, and actually having to push and pull the door locks to lock and unlock the car from inside and actually using the key to do it from the outside. The high beam switch on the floor or more commonly known as The Brights.

Don't forget the ill-fated Beta video cassettes. Grin

I also remember cars you could work on yourself straight from the factory without having to have a degree in computers or having to have a truckload of special electronic gadgets. A torque wrench and a set of sockets was the least you needed and you could practically rebuild the entire car.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #72 - 10/10/13 at 22:36:33

I remember rebuilding the carb on my brothers 63 chevy in the auto parts store parking lot with a Phillips, a standard, a small crecent wrench and a pair of regular pliers.

Dang thing ran great after we tore it apart sprayed the heck outta the insides and put it back together!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #73 - 10/11/13 at 06:12:35

It's time to get back to basics.

I'm selling my '08 Dakota and looking for a 70's model Ford p/u with the 300 straight 6 and standard 4 speed.  
No computers; plain & simple electrical system; enough room under the hood to actually crawl in there and sit next to the engine while working on it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #74 - 10/11/13 at 06:19:30

Lancer:

What you need is one of those Chevy vans that had the straight 6 engine in between the two front seats.  Remove the engine cover and you can work on the engine while sitting down......and even if the weather is rainy.....you can stay dry while working on the engine!

1967_Chevrolet_108_Long_Wheelbase_Chevy_Van_Second_Generation_4.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:22:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › How old are you ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.