Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dyna Muffler Shopping List (Read 336 times)
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Dyna Muffler Shopping List
09/30/13 at 10:10:26

I'm planning on gettiing my S40 rejetted when I get home back to sea level. (bought in Denver, driving home to San Francisco currently)

Since I'm doing that anyway, I figured I'd have a dyna installed at the same time since it requires rejetting as part of that process.  EFFICIENCY! (and also... sweet exhaust tone...)

I'll have a shop do the installs so I wanted to gather all the stuff I'll need to give them in one go. So I wanted to clarify a few things based on all I've been reading:

1.) I'm getting this muffler model: 65747-94
2.) I'm getting the exhaust adapter from Ryca: http://shop.rycamotors.com/exhaust_adapter.html

That adapter seems to come with the clamp. So my questions are:

1.) Is there anything else I need to do this install?
2.) Do I still need to fashion the tin-can gasket or is the size mismatch solved by the Ryca adapter?
3.) Will I still need to cut the muffler with 6 slots or is that also covered by the adapter?

Thanks for any help. I'm hoping to drop of a pile of parts to my mechanic in a way that is pretty clear what needs to be done.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Dyna Muffler Shopping List
Reply #1 - 09/30/13 at 10:18:46

1. If you use an adapter,... you'll need 2 clamps...
2. Shouldn't need a spacer if the adapter is made right...
3. If you're paying someone to install... let them worry about the slots... (it shouldn't need them)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/30/13 at 16:42:44

I just installed a Dyna on my bike. No adapter. I did use the tin can method and bloodied up my hands good. I only used one bolt on the rear muffler support. I haven't started it yet, waiting for a new petcock. But it looks fine and I cant see why you would need any adapter.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/01/13 at 05:07:06

njrmahoney wrote on 09/30/13 at 16:42:44:
I did use the tin can method and bloodied up my hands good. I only used one bolt on the rear muffler support....it it looks fine and I cant see why you would need any adapter.

With the adapter, you don't need a tin can and you won't bloody up you hands.......and the alignment is better!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #4 - 10/01/13 at 06:42:21

Serowbot wrote on 09/30/13 at 10:18:46:
1. If you use an adapter,... you'll need 2 clamps

So yesterday my road trip just happened to have me going through Los Angeles so I stopped by the Ryca offices in Whittier, CA instead of shipping the adapter up to myself.  Great guys! ...And cool to see the workshop in person.  They were hard at work with cafe fiberglass panels and Savage frames in various states of tear-down all over.

When I bought the adapter it comes with one clamp and I asked them about the 2nd clamp and they said the muffler will already have one clamp on it.  Is that true? Or should I be sourcing a second clamp somewhere?

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 10/01/13 at 08:54:42

I guess it depends on who you get the dyna from. I ordered mine off ebay and had to buy one from the Harley Davidson parts dept.
I ended up adding a thin piece of metal around the outside of the dyna between the dyna and the clamp, so it would crush the end down farther and make a better seal. I think it might have a miniscule leak but there are no pops or backfiring so i'm good for now and the wife is happy, the dyna does sound awesome compared to the OEM exhaust.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #6 - 10/04/13 at 06:40:14

I arrived back to the bay area yesterday and started calling shops to see about getting the dyna installed and getting the rejet done at the same time (both for my altitude change and the new exhaust).

It was interesting to talk to shops here in California. One woman told me "we try not to even say the word exhaust on the phone anymore." Apparently CA emissions are being cracked down on hard and shops are getting big fines for installing non-compliant aftermarket exhausts. Many shops wouldn't touch the dyna install.  One shop said they'd consider it if it was a CA compliant model of the Dyna.

I HOPE it is. I ordered it off an eBay seller from California, though that doesn't guarantee anything.

Does anyone know how to check a Dyna to see if its the CA model or the other 49-state version?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/04/13 at 08:25:13

The CA model has a catalytic converter on the inlet end.  Look in the inlet end and if you see a honeycomb looking surface with lots of tiny holes, that is the catalyst.  If you see a metal tube about 1-1/4" diameter that extends back about a foot without restriction.....it is not a catalyst model.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #8 - 10/04/13 at 16:17:12

I really want to believe the holes on the sides here are the holes you mention but I don't think that's the case. This is the 49 state version, isn't it? Crapballs.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/04/13 at 18:59:47

Crapballs alright...  
Just DIY install, or find a dude on Craigslist to do it...
Nobody here's gonna' tell on you... Huh...

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 10/04/13 at 20:52:39

Anyone got a pic of the cali model??

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #11 - 10/05/13 at 11:35:30

Yeah so I'll be doing the self-install. I had a peak under the bike today and it does look pretty straight forward (famous last words).

It looks like there's a clamp already there too so between that one and the clamp that came with the Ryca exhaust adapter I should have everything I need right?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/05/13 at 11:40:48

deejaysham wrote on 10/05/13 at 11:35:30:
I should have everything I need right?

...other famous last words... Grin...

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #13 - 10/11/13 at 13:43:38

I'm doing the install today.  I removed the header pipe from the engine and there's a little crush gasket disc in there.  Is that a one time use part? Should I be getting a replacement from a suzuki dealer before I remount it?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/11/13 at 16:13:34

Naahhh,, just dont crush it,, Itll work, as long as you havent accidentally "modified" its size or shape,,You COULD carefully expand it a little so the header has to crush it against the head a little better,, but I didnt & iit worked out okay,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 05:26:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Muffler Shopping List

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.