Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Starting my search for me a savage/s40 (Read 376 times)
The Creator
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Starting my search for me a savage/s40
Reply #15 - 10/01/13 at 18:14:42

OMG< Old Rider,
what did you haul around in that thing,
the state of TEXAS?

So, when you opened it up, did a mini cooper drive out with a full set of clowns, followed by a set of Shriners on mini motorcycles, and circle around your wife's bike.

I was tthink a little smaller and strapped to the belt side of the bike.
I got 3 sewing machines and new roll of black naugihade (vinyl basically), to make a custom seat, so I I will make at least one side saddle bag for now.

FUNNY  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 10/01/13 at 21:13:21

The Creator wrote on 10/01/13 at 18:14:42:
OMG< Old Rider,
what did you haul around in that thing,
the state of TEXAS?

So, when you opened it up, did a mini cooper drive out with a full set of clowns, followed by a set of Shriners on mini motorcycles, and circle around your wife's bike.

I was tthink a little smaller and strapped to the belt side of the bike.
I got 3 sewing machines and new roll of black naugihade (vinyl basically), to make a custom seat, so I I will make at least one side saddle bag for now.

FUNNY  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

LOL wife says I want something on the back that will hold my helmet, my purse, my jacket and my boots.... so I put the Harley one on. She actually liked it and was a little upset that it bounced too much... but she is happy with the kuryacn one, even tho it doesn't hold all her stuff (she needs to be in uniform at work and wears different shoes and doesn't have a locker at work).

Oh and the rack is big enough to hold a medium sized cooler that fits about a case and a half of cans with ice!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 10/03/13 at 14:37:25

Found a couple newer ones than the 2 in Pensacola...but they are 3.5 hours away, not a bad thing mind you, the guy that wants to buy my roadglide is in tampa which is about halfway, so I might ride the Harley to mid point talk to him and have the wife drive me (if the guy buys the Harley) to look at the other two savages and i'd pick up and drive one home (they both are drivable according to their owners).

Hope this plan works out, the ones I've got my eye on are south of I10 and are a 2002 (with 982 miles on odo) and a 2005 (with 19,000 on the odo) both are $1,500.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #18 - 10/04/13 at 20:07:29

I'm only 5'7" and I can ride anything. I grew up riding when they poured burnt motor oil on the dirt roads here in NC. I had two of the new Triumph 1200's, a Daytona and the touring bike in the 90's. I'm so old I cant think of the name of it right now. Both of them had a 33" seat height. The only street bike I ever dropped was an 86 Goldwing. I came in one night and forgot I had dug up a rotten clothesline post and put my foot down and nothing was there. Raced Motocross in my teens. They had a big track and a certified AMA race every year at Siler City, NC. My racing buddy and I loaded our bikes and headed down there. We walked through the pits, checked out what we were up against and headed back towards the truck. My buddy looked over at me and said I'm not getting my sh!t off the truck. I said why not. He said follow me. We walked through the European pit section again and some of them were laid back stretched out on their bikes, I said so what and my buddy pointed towards the ground. They didn't have their kickstands down, they were laid back on the bike almost taking a nap with the bike balanced. Of course one of them won the race. Its all balance, nothing to do with both feet on the ground. As long as you can get your toes down on preferably the left side you can ride it. They build tall bikes in Europe and they're not giants. Somewhere along the line Harley convinced us we had to have both feet flat on the ground. I've ridden over 200,000 on the street and learned a little bit. If you firmly believe you have to have both feet flat on the ground thats's OK, but don't be afraid of a taller bike. If setting flatfooted on a bike was the only way to ride no European bikes would ever be sold.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #19 - 10/04/13 at 20:32:19

Here's me on my Triumph 1200 with a 33" seat height and I never dropped it in 14,000 miles. Notice my foot. I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but you can ride a bike safely without both feet setting flatfooted on the ground. If any of you know what the Iron Butt Association is I qualified on this bike. My initiation was to ride 1000 miles in 24 hrs. I live in Winston Salem NC and I rode to Daytona, eat a hot dog and drank a milkshake and back home in 18 and1/2 hrs. 1126 miles. There was no way to cheat. I had to have a public officer take a picture and certify the mileage on my bike when I left and returned. I had to save all my gas receipts and if you've ever noticed they have location,time, date and how much gas written on them. I'm not trying to brag, the point is if you ever want a bigger bike don't let the seat height or size intimidate you. There's a lot of Goldwings and European bikes on the road with munchkins like me on the seat.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #20 - 10/04/13 at 20:47:12

You can buy the biggest duffelbag they sell at Wallmart. Cut you a wooden dowel the same length as the duffelbag. Fill the Duffelbag up, bungee it to the wooden dowel and then bungee the wooden dowel to your backseat. I can clean out half my closet doing that.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #21 - 10/04/13 at 21:18:27

No worries, I chose to go to the savage because of weight... not height. I've driven enduro's that I had to tippy toe to ride, I even liked the WR250X Yamaha supermoto I had, because it weighed 285lbs and was really torquey.
I have just gotten used to riding in a supine relaxed style.

I went this spring up to North Carolina to meet the fella's and accidently dropped the wife's savage on some loose gravel. When I picked it up I felt a pop in my back, the pop was my L4 vertebrae fracturing. I have a bad case of Osteoporosis and my bone density sux really bad (70 yr old woman density), so I have to get a light weight small bike to use as my touring machine and the savage fits the bill, if I trim it up a bit and loose a little bit of weight off of it.

I might even go half bobber, half adventure rider, but for sure it will be a single seat that I will be able to add a rack to hold stuff for a long trip.
I'm planning on going to one seat, higher bars, 6" forward controls, comfy tall back rest and remove anything I don't really need or replace it with plastic or aluminum. It will be a real fun challenge to see what Back Yard Bill Productions can come up with!  Cool

My point for getting the savage is..... I ride alone mostly when I travel, if something like dropping the bike happens to me in the desert of say Arizona, and the bike is fully loaded, what do I do?
I unload the bike and pick it up right? What if it weighs 500+ pounds? I've already broken my back by picking up a 400lb bike, so what do I do? Wait 3 days until someone comes by? I'm a realist, i'm not real old, but due to health reasons I have to adapt to survive, thus, a lighter motorcycle and different platform.
I will not stop riding until I can't throw a leg over a bike, and then I might rig up a lift on the back that will hoist my azz over top! ROFL, if it can be built, I will build it! Grin

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #22 - 10/04/13 at 23:20:49

Imagine me dropping that 800lb Goldwing on me that night and no close neighbors. You do what you have to do. The motor was frying my leg. There use to be a guy that worked at the Honda shop and he had all the gaurds on his Goldwing. He would lay it over on its side and pick the smallest woman in the crowd and show her how to pick it up. I learned his tricks. I wasnt directing my post at you or anybody, if I offended you I apologise. I should have started my own thread. I just wanted people to know you don't have to set flatfooted on a bike to ride it safely. Good luck on finding what you're after and ride safe. If you ever decide to ride to NC again you have a place to stay.         Midnight

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 10/05/13 at 08:48:40

Nah, not offended, I've also owned several different models and types of motorcycles. But like you, I've got health issues now and I refuse to let them keep me from riding, that's why I put an add-a-trike system on my HD road glide.

But a trike doesn't lean into the corners, well the big ones don't, there are some larger scooters that will, the ones with two wheels in front and one in back, they are kinda neat looking, not ready to go down to a scooter just yet tho.

Besides, if I can get a savage cheap, I can turn loose my creative side and have fun with a rebuild, which in turn will keep my lazy butt off the computer chair! LOL.

What kind of ninja do you have? I bought a 2013 Ninja 300 in march, its a blast to ride! But it is fuel injected so I would have to have a motorcycle mech work on it, that is until I learn the system.

My ninja...painted it while I was on chemo....took me 3 weeks....

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #24 - 10/05/13 at 10:18:17

I have an 09 250. They are a blast to ride. The trouble with Lupus is its taken away over half my body strength. That is one sharp bike and you are a very knowledgeable man. I have to take chemo once a week on sundays so i never plan anything on monday. Most mondays I'm in the bed. It messes with my eyesight to. There's days I wont drive a car much less a bike.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #25 - 11/06/13 at 18:40:25

Well, got a caller coming to look at the wife's 250 rebel and got a message and a number from a guy for the road glide.....maybe, just maybe, my savage is going to come to me soon. Although I like the pic's of the new Harleys that are coming out, but I could still get a savage and strip it to see how much weight I could peel off of it and make it function for me and then maybe sell the little 300 ninja or trade it in on the new Harley if I like it. We shall see....I've got some cooler weather coming...no paint, but I could rip and strip and mod a bike ..... I'm getting soo antsy, LOL took the wifes savage out for a long ride today....

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 11/08/13 at 21:13:53

Old Rider

lookie here on ebay !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Boulevard-2007-suzuki-boulevard-s-40-motorcycl...

I gave $1600 for my 07 a year and a half ago .  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #27 - 11/09/13 at 08:52:03

That's about a $400 gas trip for me, plus what ever the final cost of the bike would be, plus its been layed down a time or two.
I'd rather be able to see it in person first, then bid on it. There are a couple locals with them for sale, guy last month had two for 2,200 or 1,500 each. Was thinking if I get rid of the Harley and the Honda rebel, it opens up the garage for two more bikes...and one could be a total teardown and rebuild.

I would really like to get involved with a local bike shop and try to make an aluminum frame for one. My ninja has large portions of frame that are aluminum. We shall see...... Smiley

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #28 - 11/09/13 at 17:08:44

They still make new fuel injected Savages dont they?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 11/12/13 at 20:20:52

Got a call today, young man in the navy needs a small economical bike, is coming by Friday to pick up the little Honda 250 rebel.

One step closer to my project bike.... now if only I could get the Harley sold.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:30:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Starting my search for me a savage/s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.