Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Starting my search for me a savage/s40 (Read 376 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Starting my search for me a savage/s40
09/29/13 at 20:05:34

Yup, momma ok'd it even before I've sold the Harley or the Little 250 Honda. Hit craigslist here today and will call this person tomorrow, but, should I buy one or both? (parts for our rides?).

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/4087700799.html

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Starting my search for me a savage/s40
Reply #1 - 09/29/13 at 20:41:59

Id want some answers first

1997 & 1998 Suzuki Savage LS650 - $1500 (Pensacola)
1989 Suzuki Savages LS 650 1500 each o

97/98or 89?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 09/29/13 at 20:46:31

Yeah, I think he just got dyslexic while typing...but the call will clear it up, and its only about 45 min from me.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 09/29/13 at 20:52:48

Of course look for your answers, but I think the title has it right.  According to this the savage wasn't even available in the US between 89-94:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098969480

Also, "Aztec Orange" was one of two colors available for '98, and "Candy Koran Orange" was also one of two colors for '97. (Not so sure that last color was politically correct...   Huh)  If you look up these colors on www.colorrite.com, the '97 color looks rather reddish.

Let us know if that matches your answers! Smiley

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 09/30/13 at 06:52:03

I don't think I am willing to match those kind of prices... but read my post... I may be needing to sell 2003... due to the wife wanting a tourer for us both.

I got 6500 miles, of which I put 6000 mile on it. So I know everything about the bike. ( NO PRESSURE) I aint exactly sure I want to sell. Heck I JUST put the new shocks on last week!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 09/30/13 at 09:39:53

Well Pine, we might need to talk.... I have a touring bike I am selling, my Harley Davidson Road Glide 2007 pewter pearl in color (silver) 52k on the odo, garage kept. At present I have a quick release system on the back to add passenger backrest and luggage rack (which I have). and also I have an Ultimate Tour Pack that is a different color and it needs a new quick release adapter to fit the system I have ( I used the adapter on the wifes Suzuki).

We could discuss trade and cash?? LOL I don't know if PM works but we can try

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 09/30/13 at 09:52:18

Heck, just put Road King bars on my Savage, but, it does have a front drum now... I could use the Road Glide, but you'd probably hate what I do to it (all I need is the engine, transmission and main loop)...

I've met Pine, he and a Road Glide won't get along, at all.

One of my riding friends is trying to con me into a pair of 1988 ElectraGlide Classics... But is mad as a wet cat that I would chop them out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 09/30/13 at 10:46:09

WD wrote on 09/30/13 at 09:52:18:
Heck, just put Road King bars on my Savage, but, it does have a front drum now... I could use the Road Glide, but you'd probably hate what I do to it (all I need is the engine, transmission and main loop)...

I've met Pine, he and a Road Glide won't get along, at all.

One of my riding friends is trying to con me into a pair of 1988 ElectraGlide Classics... But is mad as a wet cat that I would chop them out.

Why is that WD?
What touring bike would I get along with?  

PS: I tired to talk my wife into getting a "pair" of bikes... she did not like that idea at all.  Not trying to be ugly... but my wife out weighs me by  double. So truth be told... little me + big bike + wife = scared to death. Killing myself on a bike is one thing... two up really adds a level of nerves.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 09/30/13 at 11:07:31

Road Glide is very heavy, as in, top heavy. You really need to clear 6 feet by a decent margin to be comfortable throwing one around on roads like the Trace or the road I live on.

Honestly, a C50T is more than sufficient unless you want to do a bunch of super slab runs. The Yammie 1100 should be a decent compromise for Trace and freeway use. Keep the Savage as a commuter or back up. I've kept mine through several other bikes that have since been sold or junked.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 09/30/13 at 12:58:58

WD, i'm like 5' 10" and weighed a whoppin' 150lbs when I was healthy. Layed the Glide down slowly a couple times (while stopped, loose gravel underfoot once and oil on hot blacktop second) and managed to get it back up myself. After the cancer and chemo, i'm like a 12 year old in the strength factor and my bones have the density of a 70yr old woman. I have a trike system on it (tow-pac add a trike) and its easy peasy to ride now, just don't take 90 degree corners faster than 10miles an hour Smiley.
The trike system can be removed by three bolts and a pin, takes about 10 min with a jack, you can order some front stabilizer feet from tow-pac for like 35 bucks, then you can do it without a jack.
I really just need to get rid of it before I decide to remove the trike kit and ride it like ol' times and end up hurting myself and the bike, its very tempting seeing as i'm getting slightly healthier.
I'm facing facts tho, getting older I won't get my total strength back so out the with the big and in with the small. I've already proven that i'm good with the savage on long trips (from florida to north Carolina), and that was one I did not have set up for me.
I figure with forward controls and a good seat, i'll be happy. So i'm going to butcher a savage to make it lighter and with forward controls, seat and a bigger gas tank it'll be just right. Cool

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 09/30/13 at 15:27:30

WD wrote on 09/30/13 at 09:52:18:

If ya can come up with the askin' price I wouldn't care if ya mounted the motor on a moped....i'm not a Harley freak, just got it cause it served a purpose, now it don't. Just gotta get the cash to pay off a couple small loans and set up the wife for her a newer car.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 09/30/13 at 20:52:19

And I'm going the other way. Bringing the points ignition trucks and car back to life so I can send the late model junk to the metal shredder. Same fuel economy, fewer headaches.

I'm trying to get a friend in WA to start sending me back the Panhead a section or two at a time so the Savage and Intruder can get scrapped out. I want NO non-points gasoline vehicles on the place anymore. And no more fuel infested either other than the diesel tractors. I am so sick of moisture sensitive electronic parts failing...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
The Creator
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/30/13 at 22:01:24

A S40 is all about the weight, my 2009 zS40 with 40 Hp is just a tad over 350 lb. Really, a c50 or a harley, for a 150 lb guy, really? both are 600+ pounds.
I can sit flat footed (5' 9") and still put an 18 pack of beer under my a** and ride home on it, and still sit flat footed, looking forward to some sadle bags.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #13 - 09/30/13 at 22:47:19

Yeah, that's why i'm getting rid of the big ol' monster, loved it when I could handle it, now I just want a fun touring machine, and believe it or not the s40/savage can be just that.

You should see the travel rack I manipulated on the wife's savage...you could hold you eighteen pack and then some on it.

I even once put a Harley Ultimate Tour Pack on it to see what it would look like, was a bit bouncy, so I took it back off.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/01/13 at 05:12:42

I had a gym bag I sewed a piece of 1/8th ply into. but glue woulda worked.,.glued another under it. Sewed d-rings on it & a flap w/ velcro to grab the seatstrap.A piece of parachute cord under the seat to tie it down.. I could haul plenty,,cost me beans..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:25:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Starting my search for me a savage/s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.