Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
some advice about wheel building please (Read 187 times)
strang

london
some advice about wheel building please
09/28/13 at 11:49:57

I am looking at changing out my rear wheel for an 18".
I already have a nice alloy 18" rim from a rear drum bike. Is it as simple as ringing up a spoke supplier and giving dimensions of the savage rim and them sending me the right spokes? or am I kidding myself?
I started thinking that the rim has its own particular hole angle and that isn't necessarily the same as what will be needed with the new Savage hub.
Anyone done this without too many headaches?
Maybe just send the hub off to some wheelbuilders and let them choose the rim and the spokes? (pricey ouch option)
Or is this a DIY possibility?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: some advice about wheel building please
Reply #1 - 09/28/13 at 12:52:25

Id bet a spoke supplier could tell you exactly how to deteremine the spoke lenmgth you need.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 09/28/13 at 13:14:34

Spoke calculator is right here... http://users.senet.com.au/~mitchell/misc/html/spoke.htm

It's even in metric.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/29/13 at 08:06:15

Buchanan Rim and Spoke in California has the dimesions you need and made my spokes for the 18" wheel conversion using one of their rims.  They punched the holes at the correct angle.....not all rims have the spoke holes punched at the correct angle.

I believe they charge about  $ 100 to spoke and lace it for you....not a bad price if you have never spoked a wheel or tried to true one....and don't have the proper tools.  The first one you do can take 4-6 hours....and even then you are guessing about the tension on the spokes as you have not developed a feel for it.....and don't have the ability to measure inch/pounds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/29/13 at 12:44:23

As years have passed I have learned to hire a pro when its time for a job that has a serious learning curve & I cant foresee the need to do it enough to ever actually get good at it., IOW, dont go slammin yer head agin a wall to save a few bucks, especially when its something that sees dynamic loads & can cause you trouble down the road,, I have tools & do electrical, plumbing, body work, welding, carpentry, & I have trued 10 speed rims that held up in a corner that put enough G foces on me I could hardly keep my chest off the bars( They drooped from the pressure & YES I was scared to death, I had NO idea I was goin thatfast when I decided to turn) BUT,, for $100.00? I have experience with rims & spokes & I would hire it done./ Anyone who doesnt know what theyre doing would wish they had paid the $$.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SimeonC

Tha-Tha-Tha
Thumper!!

Alabama
Reply #5 - 09/29/13 at 20:53:33

you could do it yourself if you have a "true stand" my advice call a supplier and they will give you the specs for what u need... get the parts... then take it to a professional! I worked as a tire tech for abt a year and your biggest problem is going to be getting the new wheel "true" or perfectly round and straight. Its important in a motorcycle tire to be as straight as it can be or you get excessive and uneven tire/wear, insane wobble, and strain on individual spokes.. each tightening of a spoke twists and bends the rim to its favor getting them all to cooperate so that the wheel is actually round and even is tricky!!  Shocked #pay for quality it'll save you in the long run#

ALL GAS EYELID-FLIPPER!!
GO-BABY-GO!!
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #6 - 09/30/13 at 05:19:48

Yup thanks people - I woke up in the middle of the night and decided doing it myself was a recipe for disaster. So I'll send it off to the pros.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 09/30/13 at 06:26:52

strang wrote on 09/30/13 at 05:19:48:
Yup thanks people - I woke up in the middle of the night and decided doing it myself was a recipe for disaster. So I'll send it off to the pros.

There's a good chap.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #8 - 10/01/13 at 04:53:46

Another possibility I thought of trying was a gs550/450 wheel but keeping the belt. I quite like the cost effectiveness of the belt.
Is this possible with minimal issues (spacers?) or not?
Just read the chain conversion thread and so imagine the holes line up the same, just whether the belt pulleys can be lined up proper with the GS wheel?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/01/13 at 07:17:02

strang wrote on 10/01/13 at 04:53:46:
Another possibility I thought of trying was a gs550/450 wheel but keeping the belt. I quite like the cost effectiveness of the belt.
Is this possible with minimal issues (spacers?) or not?
Just read the chain conversion thread and so imagine the holes line up the same, just whether the belt pulleys can be lined up proper with the GS wheel?

I didn't have any problems, the pulley and hub from the savage slip right in and the belt is perfect.

WWW   IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #10 - 10/01/13 at 10:56:00

Ok cool Verslagen - I've read a couple of threads about the cast GS wheels and I'm still confused.
Having done a bit of googles, seems there was two GS models at the time, the gs550L and the gs550e. L being a slight chopper/similar to a savage geometry with a 17" rear wheel and the gs550E which was more standared and had 18" rear wheel but a disc brake at the back. I take it then that the GS550L is the right one? Will GS450 L work as well?
Also Verslagen do you have a pic of your ride?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/01/13 at 11:52:58

essentially the same wheels shown in this thread...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366486692

mine are 19" front 16" rear.
just about all 80's GS bikes are 19" front, but vary a lot for the rear.
I'd get no larger than the 16" for the rear so you don't have to either mod the swingarm or get low profile tires.  130/90-16 or MT90-16 fits fine and is a HD standard size.

Be careful when selecting a rim, you don't want shaft drive or disk brake types.  Check the hub for 6 pockets for the rubber dampers and a hole for the drum brake and you should be ok.  Of course I could be the luckiest b'tard alive and capable of picking the only one that'll fit at random.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #12 - 10/02/13 at 05:22:54

thanks, looks great - I'll start searching the bay.
nice match between your dog and the whitewall tyre  Smiley

« Last Edit: 10/02/13 at 13:39:31 by strang »  
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #13 - 10/04/13 at 03:38:36

I've been looking at a gs450L wheel on the bay but have just reread all the threads on gs wheel conversion and there is quite a bit of confusion. Well in my head anyway.
Vers you seem to be the only one who it went smooth for - can you confirm the model of wheel you used for the back please?

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #14 - 10/05/13 at 14:29:04

Buchannan is the way to go.  I worked with them 3 1/2 years ago on my 18" conversion as they had not done one at that point.  They had me send the hub and rim in so they could confirm they had it right.  They make beautiful SS spokes.  They did mine so they sure should have the dims now.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:32:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › some advice about wheel building please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.