Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
So I did the Dyna exhaust (Read 512 times)
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Re: So I did the Dyna exhaust
Reply #15 - 10/18/13 at 08:48:45

Sometimes the reducers have a little gap where they expand over the Suzuki exhaust pipe and you will have a small exhaust leak. I use this stuff to make an air tight seal.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80333-Muffler-Tailpipe-Putty/dp/B000BKEBOU/ref...

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #16 - 11/07/13 at 08:00:25

ST, how do you under the Permatex? Going to go ahead and get some in advanced since my reducer should be here anyday.

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #17 - 11/07/13 at 08:27:43

I don't use that putty, it's made for covering larger holes. I use the stuff in the tube, it's NOT made by Permatex, it's thinner more like toothpaste, allowing you to spread it thin enough to seal any small gaps. You can find it at any Auto Zone or Advance Auto parts store.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-35958-Hardware-Muffler-Cement/dp/B000CQHVLI/ref...

WWW   IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #18 - 11/07/13 at 08:51:23

Thanks

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #19 - 11/07/13 at 09:01:06

st, I have one more question. The clamp on my muffler is all messed up and I need to get another one so that I can connect the reducer. Do you know what size clamp I need to get or should I just take the stock one to the shop and see if they can match the size

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #20 - 11/07/13 at 09:55:12

I bought this clamp:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

I think any 1 3/4" Clamp would work.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Problems with dyna install
Reply #21 - 11/08/13 at 20:49:33

For the love of all that is holy, I cannot get my dyna installed! Purchased the reducer and several clamps but it's just not working. I tried using the largest reducer first; slipped reducer over end of header and pushed it up against the flange of header and then slipped dyna on over reducer but there is such a big gap between dyna and flange of header. Can't push the dyna over header any farther.  See pic below. Then I took reducer off and tried using tin can crush gasket; wrapper it around the end of the header and snugged the dyna up over it and tightened clamp over it.  Exhaust leak coming from header/dyna joint. I could feel the air puff out with my hand. Someone please help! Then I gave up on that and decided to try to put my new handlebar grips on. When I took off the old grip to put the new one on, there was a hard plastic sleeve underneath the old grip. There is also some sort of spacer that matches the old grips butted up against the start/on/off assembly. What do I do?

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #22 - 11/08/13 at 20:51:29

Tin can Crush gasket is under clamp

C360_2013-11-08-17-24-50-583.jpg
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #23 - 11/08/13 at 20:52:29

Another pic

C360_2013-11-08-17-25-07-390.jpg
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #24 - 11/09/13 at 08:08:24

The outside diameter of the 2001  Suzuki exhaust pipe on my bike is 1 3/4".

The inside diameter of my Dyna is 2". With the reducer over the end of the Suzuki exhaust pipe I was able to clamp it tight.

The only thing I can think of is your Dyna muffler must have a larger opening.....OR your Suzuki exhaust pipe is smaller than 1 3/4"
this would be your answer.

When I bought my Dyna off eBay I made sure to ask the seller what the I.D measurement was.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #25 - 11/09/13 at 08:19:07

Aegerprimo, I ended up putting a small shim under the clamp also, it kinda buckled but it worked. The problem I see in your pic is the places where you cut the dyna are exposed to open air, that is where your air leak is coming from no? I used the tin can method between the header and the dyna, then a thin piece of metal between the Harley clamp and the dyna (made it crush more), plus I removed the hourglass shaped piece of metal from between the clamp ends.

Hope this helped.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 11/09/13 at 10:15:03

Search
T-Clamp

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageDiver
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 11/09/13 at 23:38:40

Hi , I'm. Thinking bout doing the same mod. Did you have to re-jet or was it just a direct bolt-on?  

old_rider wrote on 10/03/13 at 14:50:32:
Managed to get it to seal with maybe a minor leak, can't really tell, kinda feels like there might be a puff of air when I open the throttle really fast.
I don't think it will make a difference tho, so I'm going to leave it as is and not mess with it no more. Sounds great and runs great too, don't look too bad neither, with the cheepo' cover I put on it.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b471/Orphistle/Suzuki%20Savage/Dyna2.jpg

IP Logged
DavidEckel
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 11/11/13 at 12:59:02

Super Thumper wrote on 10/17/13 at 08:13:35:
Because Suzuki has seen fit to put a "Kink" at the end of the exhaust pipe where it meets the muffler you need to loosen the two bolts at the cylinder head exhaust flange so the pipe is loose enough to rotate a little bit and allow you to slip your muffler on with no binding.

I used these exhaust reducers....

(link deleted)

Slip the largest reducer over your exhaust pipe then the Dyna over that...tighten the clamp so the muffler and pipe are tight.

I did the Dyna today with the intention of using those pipe reducers.  However, I was unable to get any of them to work.  I just couldn't get the Dyna muffler to slip up over the reducer when it was on the header pipe.  I sectioned the flange of the Dyna, too, but I just couldn't make it work.  I ended up using the stock gasket.  It's a soft lead gasket with a steel belt inside it.  I sectioned about 3/8" out of it to get it to slip inside the Dyna. Then I used the stock H-D clamp.  It seals pretty well, but not perfectly.  I'm probably going to try the Ryca adapter down the line.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:24:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So I did the Dyna exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.