Send Topic Print
Shortened to-do list... (Read 92 times)
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Shortened to-do list...
09/27/13 at 08:52:54

Heh, I was looking over my "Introduce yourself and your bike" message from before, where I had all of these things to list:

terpfan1980 wrote on 08/14/13 at 13:11:57:
{snip}

While I posted some details about things that are still on my wishlist of repairs/upgrades for my relatively new-to-me but definitely old and well-used 1998 Savage over in the Rubber Meets the Road area, I figured I could stop in here too and introduce my bike a little better.

This poor lady needed several items taken care of when I got it, including:
  • New tires
  • Brakes
  • New petcock
  • Broken speedo
  • Holes in exhaust (redneck engineering resolved for now, fiberglass tape has been used to cover over those holes and get the bike past inspection, as done by the shop that I had the inspection done at)
  • Oil leak repair (nasty oil leak on the left side of the bike)
  • tune-up/get bike running again (the catch-all that had the shop so happy to take my money  Tongue Cheesy Grin)

{snip}

Earlier resolved items, or items in the process of being knocked off my list:
  • Toolkit was lost long ago, ordered replacement while ordering a new Choke plunger
  • Choke plunger replacement is on order (choke won't stay in place as it currently sits)
  • Helmet lock was lost along the way, replacement for that is on order (now somewhat a non-issue since the saddlebags cover the helmet lock all the time Sad )
  • A couple of the turn signal indicators were damaged previously and had been kept on by tape, replacements were ordered and will be installed later

Still on the list of things to address:
  • Driver's seat has a hole in it that has been taped over - looking at replacing the seat with a new Corbin seat when funds are available.
  • New muffler (intending to keep stock muffler on it)
  • Windscreen (I prefer to have a windscreen/shield on bikes that I ride, aftermarket screen/shield is in my wishlist at Amazon, probably obtained soon)

I've since also added the saddlebag supports (which led to discovering that the support was cutting the sidewall on the tire Sad )
Saddlebags
Sissy bar bag
Forward controls were ordered and received, to be installed later

New rear tire will be ordered in the off-season and installed over the winter months with plans to get the bike back on the road (once "winterized") in the early spring

I've got some miscellaneous bolts, washers, nuts and such to deal with, and will probably have to dig into things more to permanently resolve the oil leak problem (since it seems to be persistent at this point), but otherwise,  I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get another year or so of riding out of this bike without investing too much more into it.  Eventually I want to get something bigger, but for now I'm very happy with this thumper and greatly appreciate the help that I've gotten here.

Oh, one other thing I've gotta put back on the list is the lock for the forks.  That key wasn't with the bike when I got it.  I can see the key number on it though, and am hopeful that a locksmith will be able to help in that area, if not a visit to a Suzuki stealership to get a replacement for it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Shortened to-do list...
Reply #1 - 09/27/13 at 13:44:47

http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=22&m=398106

Least likely stolen,nearly least likely crashed.,
Sweatin that fork lock is a waste of $$$ & energy. If youre worried, get a lock to hang in the brake disc.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 09/27/13 at 21:18:10

Thanks for reminding me, need to take mine off with an angle grinder and weld the hole up smooth. Every ounce counts... 10 pounds weight reduction is equivalent to a 1 horsepower gain.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #3 - 09/28/13 at 19:50:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/27/13 at 13:44:47:
http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=22&m=398106

Least likely stolen,nearly least likely crashed.,
Sweatin that fork lock is a waste of $$$ & energy. If youre worried, get a lock to hang in the brake disc.

heh, it's funny that you point that out... I trailered the bike down to the beach a few weeks back, rented U-Haul trailer.

Someone saw me working on unloading the bike and they started talking to me a bit about my bike.  They offered up a word of caution about having had a bike of their own stolen, trailer (enclosed) and all.  I offered thanks for the concern, but noted in return that if someone had stolen the bike and/or trailer I'd likely have made out on the deal thanks to the insurance that I had gotten from U-Haul and the insurance I carry on the bike.

I do need to make sure I have current pictures of the bike, with the various upgrades, just in case something were to happen to it, but I really don't expect it to just spring legs.

The fork lock is more a frustration in knowing that I don't have that key.  I don't need it, but I know it's missing and that bugs me.  Maybe not enough to pay to fix the issue, but enough to think about it as something I could get fixed.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/28/13 at 23:22:55

A thief can break a fork lock in 5 seconds... (one quick yank on the bars)...
If you want some security... a disc lock is a bit better...
Still,.. 2 guys can just pick it up and throw it in the back of a truck...
A heavy cable, around an immovable object, locked through a wheel,... will give you a minute or two...

Security is an illusion... if they want it, they will get it...  
Fortunately,... nobody wants a Savage...   Grin...

...'cept for us...  Watch out for us...   Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/29/13 at 19:53:44

AsI get older,my To_Dont list gets longer

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 09/29/13 at 20:11:41

Yup, seen too many security cam videos of two guys lifting bikes into a van or onto a trailer. Seen one video where a truck with a trailer backs up to a big ol' Harley till it touches, guy gets out (bout my size 5'10" and 150-170lbs-ish) and just tips it onto the trailer, gets back into truck and drives off, took about 25 seconds. If they want it, they will get it, and with todays battery powered power tools, nothing short of a bank vault will stop them.

Best prevention against theft? Full coverage insurance...... Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/29/13 at 20:14:13

& an ugly bike

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 09/29/13 at 23:30:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/13 at 19:53:44:
AsI get older,my To_Dont list gets longer

I have a to do list and a must do list. The to do list, ah sh!t I can live with that. It aint hurting nothing.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 09/30/13 at 00:06:46

I just have a Ohholycrapwhynow, list... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:17:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Shortened to-do list...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.