Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diagnosing Front Pulley Noise/Tick??? (Read 137 times)
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Diagnosing Front Pulley Noise/Tick???
09/25/13 at 08:48:58

Greetings everyone,

I have a 2006 RYCA Suzuki and so far, LOVING IT. The bike has 2000 miles on it, and I've put 200 or so miles on after the Ryca build. A few weeks ago the bike developed sort of a ticking, scraping type of sound while the clutch is in and I'm rolling, I can usually hear it when I'm in 1st or 2nd gear, slow rolling. The EMGO exhaust makes it very difficult to pinpoint where the noise is coming from- darn thing is LOUD.

Last week I busted a rear hub bearing due to my belt being too tight. Yes, you read that correctly, I BUSTED a bearing with only 2000 miles on the bike.

I ordered the bearing and changed it myself, then did 100 pushups as punishment for riding with a tight belt, gave the belt some more slack (90 degree turn with fingers method) and put the tire back on. Ever since then, the tick I hear from the front of the bike while slow rolling with the clutch in has gotten worse. Almost sounds like gear noise?

Clutch is adjusted at the lever and on the side of the bike. Could the noise be a loose drive pulley?? Or rear wheel out of alignment?? After I put the rear tire back on the noise is there even when rolling in neutral with bike off, but not consistently? Hard to diagnose where the sound is actually coming from.

Don't think the cam chain needs tensioning so soon?? I will no doubt hit up Verslagen for his sweet cam tensioner invention. Any of you vets know if this ticking,sanding type of noise a loose pulley? Or clutch issue? I will be taking off the covers this weekend to get a better look. I read a topic here that says I need to "mechanically" check the drive pulley, and not just visually inspect? I have no impact tools, so how would I know if the drive pulley is even loose?? Thanks for any help you can offer guys.

Ride safe,

Mr. Pazloe

2006 Ryca Suzuki Savage (2300 miles)
Army green with black spoke wheels!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Diagnosing Front Pulley Noise/Tick???
Reply #1 - 09/25/13 at 09:06:34

Mine ticks when the front pulley starts to loosen...
This can happen even with the crimp washer still in place... It's just the tiniest fraction loose...
I crank that sucker down way tighter than factory spec...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/25/13 at 09:57:50

If you've busted the rear pulley bearing, I'd be wondering the condition of the output spindle bearing.  That output spindle will spin with the rear wheel.  You can change the seal from the outside, but not sure about the bearing.

Jack it up, spin the wheel in neutral and listen.  Take the cover off, grab the pulley and yank it around.

And yeah, make sure the drive nut is unbelievably tight.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/25/13 at 10:42:58

Pull off the cover and check the tightness of the front pulley.  One member here had to replace his engine when he stripped the output shaft splines.  It is labor intensive and expensive to fix it.

Take a few minutes and check the front pulley....before you ride again.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #4 - 09/25/13 at 11:31:59

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. She will be parked until I can sort this out. Verslagen, what noise should I be checking for while spinning the tire in neutral? At the moment I can hear a ticking coming from the front pulley area whenever the wheel spins. At first I only noticed it while in gear, now its happening in neutral as well.

Can I tighten up the pulley nut by throwing a breaker bar over socket and torquing till im blue in the face?

I should just stop messing around and get an impact wrench Undecided Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/25/13 at 11:50:12

MrPazloe wrote on 09/25/13 at 11:31:59:
Verslagen, what noise should I be checking for while spinning the tire in neutral?

What noise?  I thought you were looking for a tick.

WWW   IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #6 - 09/25/13 at 12:19:46

I know there is a ticking noise coming from the drive pulley area. Is this the same noise I'm going to hear if my output spindle bearing is bad??

You said I should spin the tire in neutral and listen for anything out of the ordinary. Just did and I'm getting a ticking from the drive pulley.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/25/13 at 15:00:50

The front pulley shoudl be torqued to 74-96 foot pounds.  You will have to bend the flat part of the lock washer away from the nut....then I suppose you could try to torque it....but I always loosen the nut and take it off first and clean the threads first. For this application I also install some Thread Locker....then torque it to the maximum in the range.

I am not sure how sensitive your hearing is.....or how loud the noise is.  There will always be some gear noise from the transmission.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #8 - 09/25/13 at 17:22:57

Thanks Dave, that is exactly what I plan on doing. I'm eager to get in there and clean threads and other gunk out of the nut and pulley housing. Normally I'm very forgiving of ticks, squeaks and rattles- these are after all, super simple single cyclinder thumpers. But this tick and scratching just recently developed.

I've only been riding a couple of years, but just as with a car's clutch, I know there shouldn't be any noise when you're just rolling with the clutch in? It should be quiet just like if you were coasting in neutral, no?

IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #9 - 09/29/13 at 11:23:58

PULLEY NOISE UPDATE!

Hey guys, if any of you were wondering where the ticking noise was coming from, I have figured it out. It WAS NOT a loose drive pulley but the rear wheel out of alignment. It was way off! So I loosened the axle and adjusted the belt bolts, tightened down the axle, checked for belt tension, and went for a spin. No more noise.

Just to be sure I took the cover off the front pulley and cranked it down super tight using a breaker bar. Also, changed the front brake pads while I had the tools out. Bike runs perfectly again Smiley

Thank you to Dave, Verslagen, and Serowbot for your contributions to this thread. I have a knack for overlooking the smallest issues when troubleshooting. Thanks again guys!

Mr. Pazloe

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Diagnosing Front Pulley Noise/Tick???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.