Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yamahog 1100 V-Star vs Honda 750 Spirit (Read 106 times)
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Yamahog 1100 V-Star vs Honda 750 Spirit
09/25/13 at 00:24:03

Had a chance to Ride a friend's '08 V-Star 1100 Custom this past weekend and expected it to be light-years ahead of my '06 Shadow Spirit ... I was impressed by the 1st gear roll-on, the seat and the position of the foot controls, but once up and cruising, the Yamahog did not feel that much more powerful than my Honda. There's no doubt that out on the open highway the V-Star's extra weight and cc's would have shown their advantage, but overall, I expected a little more?

Still a very nice Bike though and one I could see myself owning ... but am in no rush to replace the Honda! Wink Smiley

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Yamahog 1100 V-Star vs Honda 750 Spirit
Reply #1 - 09/25/13 at 03:52:31

You know you want to come down here and get my Savage since it has gone back to low bars and a low seat, with close to stock jets sometime later this week, same for the new tensioner widget.

Need a couple more paychecks, have to order levers and perches, new front brake shoes... swap a new rear tire on, license and insure it... oh yeah, finish wiring it... And add a windshield, maybe a small white face speedometer...

You know you want to swap...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 09/25/13 at 08:44:21

Yeah, you're probably right WD ... I wouldn't mind swappin' with ya for a scoot! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 09/26/13 at 07:19:20

Was the V Star still all stock? The 1100 needs to be uncorked to run right. I have a 1100 classic that has Cobra pipes and has been rejetted. It will break the rear tire loose and send the bike sideways from a stop if I twist the throttle too much.

A friend has a Honda Shadow and it will not keep up with my V Star 1100.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 09/26/13 at 08:19:30

yes, was all stock motor/exhaust wise ...

WWW   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #5 - 09/26/13 at 13:38:33

Yamaha's are hard to work on, I know this from experience. If you keep your Honda around 40,000 miles you'll have to put a Stator in it. $300 if a shop does it, other than that its just normal easy maintenance. Its highly unsafe to try to hot rod a cruiser.There's nothing wrong with riding fast or cutting up a little, I use to do it all the time. just get the right bike. I don't want you to get hurt.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 09/26/13 at 13:42:45

I hear that changing out the oil filter on the XV1100 is a royal pain in the ass from what I've read ... involves dropping the exhaust ... a kit can be bought to adapt a spin-on filter that does not involve dis-assembly, but they're not cheap apparently ...

I do like the fact that the Yamahog V-Stars are air-cooled though!

WWW   IP Logged
ESLloyd
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/26/13 at 18:10:27

Agree,changing the oil filter on a 1100 V-Star is a pain.
Probably the reason they recommend it every other oil change.
Sad

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #8 - 09/26/13 at 19:22:23

I put a oil filter relocation kit on mine. It's only with the 1100 that you must drop the front pipe to change the oil filter. The 650 and 1100 are air cooled/carbs The 950 is fuel injected and air cooled and the 1300 is fuel injected and  water cooled.

Too many bikes in garage, 2007 S40, 1983 Suzuki GS450E, 2005 V Star 1100 Silverado, and just picked up a 1988 Suzuki Intruder 750.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 09/26/13 at 20:58:50

Back in the 90's you had to drop the pipe on a 650 to change oil, I did it several times. Decided right then I never wanted another Yamaha, good bikes, I'm just lazy.One Yamaha sportbike I worked on, I think it was an FZ1100, you had to pull the motor to change the plugs and set the valves. They were never made to work on.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #10 - 09/26/13 at 21:02:06

Back in the 90's you had to drop the pipe on a 650 to change oil, I did it several times. Decided right then I never wanted another Yamaha, good bikes, I'm just lazy.One Yamaha sportbike I worked on, I think it was an FZ1100, you had to pull the motor to change the plugs and set the valves. They were never made to work on.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 09/27/13 at 00:12:45

I've never owned a Yamahog (or a Harley ... have owned 'Zuki, Kawi and Honda), but would own a 950 Bolt in a heartbeat could I afford a new Bike Cool

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/27/13 at 01:28:51

Midnightrider wrote on 09/26/13 at 21:02:06:

Supposed to crash & total  them before they need service

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:32:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Yamahog 1100 V-Star vs Honda 750 Spirit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.