Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First bike: 1986 650ls... now what? (Read 153 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First bike: 1986 650ls... now what?
09/23/13 at 16:15:30

I just got my first bike, a 1986 savage 650 ls 14747 miles. I am enrolled in the motorcycle safety course done here in va and I am excited but in reading all the stuff on this forum I am very nervous about the bike's reliability. Granted I bought it from a meticulous relative who cares for his stuff dearly. It needs a battery, that I know. Its running a little rough too. I am mechanically inclined and all, but for something that's going down sky line drive or on the blue ridge I want the first tune up done by an expert. What should I be asking for them to do at the shop? What should I look for? I don't want to be taken to the cleaners due to my ignorance....sorry if this is too vague. I'll answer any questions... much thanks...

0919031245.jpg

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: First bike: 1986 650ls... now what?
Reply #1 - 09/23/13 at 16:36:08

Do you know what? The "experts" probably know just as much about this model as you do. They'll take it in, change the oil and fudge around for a while then charge you $60 an hour for it. The tech section of this forum has more info than they probably have access. to. You'd be better off doing it yourself and get familiar with your new scooter than letting "professionals" mess with it. Especially if you're mechanically inclined. How rough is running rough? These things ALWAYS sound like they're only running on one cylinder  Roll Eyes.
Congrats on the new scooter. They're lots of fun.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 09/23/13 at 17:07:29

One of the great strengths of this site is the amount of information avaidable to new owners. It's potential weakness is information overload, particularly about carburettors. Some very useful posts in the tech section are page five, cam chain adjuster check by Verslagen and page four, How to Adjust your valves by Verslagen. Another useful post by txsizzler is on how to change the stock petcock for a stock Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock this is right at the top of the tech section. Sopme would advocate that at 14000 miles the cam chain tensioner should be checked. Many on this site advocate the use of Shell Rotella engine oil because of its enhanced ZDDP content which will help your valve lifters.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/23/13 at 17:16:47

Welcome Jsud, if you are mechanically inclined get yourself a Clymer's shop manual and have at it!!  Don't pay anyone to do what you can do yourself, most riders would agree working on your own bike and getting to know it first hand leads to being a more comfortable rider and helps a ton if you ever get stuck somewhere  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/23/13 at 22:11:58

If it hasnt been done,  its time to check that cam chain,,
I suspect thats "sold" a bunch of these bikes,,People cant afford to have it done & dont wanna learn how, so they park it & sell it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/24/13 at 02:32:04

It runs like it's got old gas. I am guessing carb cleaner, drain and fill with premium, and add booster/fuel system cleaner will go a long way.

The cam chain tensioner is a topic that interests me. My impression would be that once it's maxed out it will sound like a loose slapping chain on a chain saw. Why would I bust a gasket to "check" it if there isn't any audible indication of wear.

I would be interested in knowing how many people have an issue with the adjuster verses people who just replaced it anyhow.

I need to source out parts, however, if I am gonna do a takedown and check the tensioner? Any recommended websites or should I hit up the local suzuki shop.? I figure the bike really hasn't changed in 27yrs.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 09/24/13 at 04:18:34

The cam chain tensioner doesn't have any sort of retainer to keep the plunger in.  If you hear the chain slapping, you are definitely in danger of the plunger falling out into the gears just below it.

Many people change it out before it gets to that point just to be safe.  If it falls out, from what I've read on here, it generally ruins the engine.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 09/24/13 at 05:43:59

Hello JSUD04, this is Maurizio from Rome, Italy  Smiley

Shocked

Rome, NY, right ?  Huh

NO, Rome, Italy, as in, the other side of the Ocean, six time zones frmo Virginia (where I happened to live, btw  Cool)
Rome, as in "The Eternal City"  Cheesy

Sooo... what am I doing on this here Forum ? Enjoying some very good company and getting to know all the "it's good to know this and that" kind of info.

Wink

So, you're concerned and all. That puts you on the safe side, there's nothing worse than the "happy go lucky" attitude.

You say you have an '86, which means a 4speed. Good. I have a '88 4speed and believe they are formidable bikes.
Built to mimic the 1982 Harley 1340 Sturgis with the 80cu.in Ironhead, by the way.

Here's what I did to mine (over a long and windy/rainy winter season, so it was a number of short stops and checkups):
- check the front fork, possibly replace the fork oil with new oil, possibly a little thicker (the forks are kinda soft...)
- check the rear shocks and make sure the oil is recent - else, replace,
- check the front brake, see how well the rubber hose is doing; replace with a braided line, rebuild the pump and the caliper (old seals and the rubber rottens and fails)
- check the final belt drive, it could be that a low mileage bike still has the original belt on it - it could fail anytime soon...
(if it proves to be too expensive to replace, a good alternative is a 530 chain with 17/49 sprockets, half the price)
- replace the fuel line and vacuum lines; better still, replace the entire vacuum petcock with an "ornery" (=more reliable) Raptor petcock,
- ensure both brake switches work - unlike mine where the front brake switch simply didn't exist...  Shocked
- anytime you hear the cam chain rattle, it may be 8almost) late; not only should you replace the chain (and possibly the tensioner shoes as well) but the plunger, with one modified by Verslagen; I know I did  Cool)
- fit a tachometer ! Unlike a 2-3-4cylinder engine, the big single simply growls louder, not higher as revs rise.

This is good .......................................................this is ridiculous and half useless, you will rarely if ever rev beyond 5000 anyway.

I personally cruise between 3000 and 4000... best economy and sound  Cool

Once you've done all this, you will have a very solid bike, certainly not the fastest 650 on the block but hey! what other bike can give you that solid "classic thumper" economy, low down grunt and ease to ride and park?

I promise you, once you take her up to Skyline Drive, you'll wish the day would never end !  Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 09/24/13 at 07:23:09

If you hear ANY amount of chain slap, you're within minutes of your engine turning into scrap metal. Check the tensioner. My bike has somewhere in the neighborhood of 20K on it, has 2 or 3 clicks left before the plunger falls out. I have a new tension widget on hand, intend to install it this week (would have been in today, but I have to work this afternoon).

Carb will drive you nuts, but Lancer is our resident guru. And parts supplier (stock is running low currently) check his thread in the marketplace section.

Welcome aboard, psych meds are doled out at 3 pm, 10 pm and 7 am...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/24/13 at 08:55:40

A while back I was spending a lot of time looking at chainsaws on an Arborist forum.....and eBay.  I noticed that there were a lot of Stihl MS260 saws that needed repair.....and I got to thinking they must be horribly unreliable.  As it turns out......they are very reliable and the main workhorse for a lot of professional woodcutters.  They just get a lot of use, abuse and sometimes neglect......same for the Savage.

The three weaknesses of the Savage are the cam chain tensioner, the original vacuum petcock, and the rubber plug.  All the other problems mostly come from abuse, neglect, or sitting outside for 15 years!  There is the jetting thing to work out.....and sometimes a bike will backfire more than the owner can live with.  There are however thousands of bikes and bike owners that have never heard of this site.....and just keep on motoring down the highways without problems.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 09/24/13 at 09:17:27

A dealer "tune-up" on this bike, is not much more than a new spark plug...
They will add a valve adjustment and oil change, if ask,... that will be extra...
... if they are thorough,... they will pull out the air filter, and stare at it for a minute... if it's dirty, they'll replace it... that'll be extra, too...
Somewhere in the range of $150 to $300... total...

DIY,... is the way to go...
This is the bike to own,...if you don't want to pay them...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 09/24/13 at 09:40:10

NAPA has the oil filter, K&N 137. They also have the spark plug NGK DPR8EA-9 is stock, I run a DPR5EA-9, my bike is way overjetted and saw mainly commuter duty from 2/98-2/11 when I did not have a different primary bike. Kept the carbon level down a bit burning off the excess fuel, a 5 heat range in a stock bike will do damage. Air filter tends to be a "blow and go" unless it is past the point of filthy. 2 quarts of Rotella, Delo, Delvac or Super Tech 15W40 is cheap.

My bike has been beat to pieces several times, engine guts are flawless, electrical took a dump. Almost back together, about a 40-50% rewire. All safeties deleted, bar switches deleted, FLR handlebar, FLH rear fender, unknown but likely ATC fuel tank. Bike was totaled in 2005, back on the road in 2007.

Other than the truly stupid cam chain set up, the engines are nearly bullet proof. They like 15w or heavier oil, the valves on mine have never needed to be adjusted, the top of the carb has never been opened up...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/24/13 at 11:21:00

Just run regular gas, no premium needed,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 09/24/13 at 11:33:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/24/13 at 11:21:00:
Just run regular gas, no premium needed,

Maybe he's rich? 87 octane is actually higher than the stock engine requires, it will happily burn 85 octane (do not confuse that with E85, that crap will eat your carburetor).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/26/13 at 03:47:31

Sooooooooo, where is the best way place to get a can chain adjuster and a gasket kit...I will get a modified adjuster later, but I need a tide over. I am looking o. the net but there are few clear answers.  

Oh, and the bike is is meticulous conditions having been garage kept and babied by it owner(a relative). It is stock, he has never had a single issue, all recommended maintenance was done...defiantly not abused or "found" in the elements

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:22:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › First bike: 1986 650ls... now what?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.