Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wow !!!   Unexpected competition OS for Microsoft (Read 52 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Wow !!!   Unexpected competition OS for Microsoft
09/23/13 at 12:04:01

I really didn't see this one coming, although I knew technically they could do it, the fact they WOULD actually go do it has crept up on me unawares .....

And, while folks always kept saying they were slow to go over to Linux mainly because "there simply aren't any Linux games out there" --- this development strikes my funny bone as completely appropriate that these are the folks who will be the ones to take Linux mainstream as the big Linux success story .....

http://liliputing.com/2013/09/valve-introduces-steam-os-game-centric-operatin...

I also note that all the major new ARM chipsets all seem to have Direct X 11 built in and games ARE a major reason folks used to have to buy a new PC way back in the day ....  

But now all you will need is to dual boot your machine with Steam OS to get everything you need .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Wow !!!   Unexpected competition OS for Micros
Reply #1 - 09/23/13 at 22:16:07

Gamers, myself included have had a love/hate with MS. MS did not and does not really give a flying flip about gamers. The market is just too small and extremely fickel. Many gamers are computer savey... or at least savey enough to know that besides the MS tax.. the system is horribly bloated, creating a huge negative impact on gaming. I know that in one game I use play, just turning off "window effects" made as much a boost to FPS, as buying a $100 more costly GPU.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/24/13 at 06:33:37

Yeah, but we all still remember the upgrade cycle that gaming on the PC drove us into.

The AMD Athlon 64 "old white box" that I still have and use was bought specifically so I could play Far Cry the orginal game that was so far out there you SIMPLY HAD to go buy a state of the art machine just to be able to play it.

(man, I was relatively rich back then -- I dropped $2,300 on a new set up just to play a feekin' game and I thought nothing of it .....)

I don't think Steam is going to find itself needing any sort of newer hardware, Linux is so much simpler and tighter and lighter (especially the way Steam has done it by stripping down the OS) that just about any old machine should be able to run Steam OS.

I await the flood of fan boys and the mods.
  I await the distro boys who will make pathways so you can flip over to their distro's look and feel and functionality on your Steam OS machine.

I await the cute little Linux Steam boxes from the far east (there is already an offical Steam box out there -- fairly expensive compared to the low end hardware I tend to watch out for).

===========================

Speaking of hardware,  the CubieTruck (dual A-7 A20) is in production now and so is the Radax RK3188 board, both projects being led by Tom Cubie as a matter of fact.

Cubie seems to like the RK3188 board more for its raw power and 4 core Mali GPU, although the software support and daughter board support for it is just at the "just started" minimalistic level right now.    

Software will be PicUntu which isn't bad as it is a full Ubuntu (xubuntu) experience using the minimalist interface.  He fully expects the existing stick fanboy base to move over and support this one, with new I/O daughter boards and everything else to be sold by his new RK3188 specific board company, Radax.  

Me, I will wait for the Radax follow on board as Cubie gets a cheap limited board out there first then follows it a year later with a board with more I/O options built in (like VGA and SATA).  In this case the follow on board will likely be an A-12 based 64 bit chipset as Rockchip will move over to that early next year as they are the designated ARM partner for that push effort.

« Last Edit: 09/24/13 at 10:15:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/24/13 at 08:10:28

New information:   Steam simply isn't saying what they are basing their OS upon.  

They have access to the Unbuntu stack and the Gentoo stack and are getting "fully developed" brand new FAST accellerated video driver support directly from Nvidia and the other graphics suppliers.   Likely their Steam OS is a frankenstein of whatever code works fastest and best (you can see how Gentoo code could creep into the mix as it is completely optimized by its very nature).

Valve/Steam is the 800 pound gorillia in the gaming industry and they can get fast 3D driver support from their direct suppliers that nobody else can get.   But likely they have to sign non-disclosure agreements to get that total support level, just like anybody else would have to do to get the root code from the state of the art 3D graphics accellerator guys.

Apparently there are going to be some legal restrictions on dispersing these very fast brand new custom Linux video drivers that will cause the need for a closed "Steam OS".   Steam is also going to be enforcing a level of consistency in hardware & I/O that so far has not been possible in the ARM Linux world.

Hardware vendors hopefully will embrace these new consistent hardware & I/O standards as part of their upper end products as they will want Steam ability in their products as a major selling point.    

The cheapie Chinese guys unfortunately will continue to chase lower cost as more valuable than any set of standards and they will continue to do so just as long as the device will run on the chopped up, tweeked and customized Android version that they cook up for it that will run OK at the time it is sold.    This will keep their products at the throw away device level going on out into the future.

============================

Look for the GPL loving mass of Linux hackers to start up some pure open source equivalents of any new drivers that Steam is given within 6 months of them being shipped inside Steam OS.   Rest easy that secrets will out faster and better going out into the future.

I think the GPL people will allow Steam to do its closed source thing for a year or so before asking politely for the all of the code officially as Steam is using GPL liscenses to use the core Linux system no matter which flavor they are basing it upon.    And core drivers are part of that agreement if they choose to enforce it.  

Then Steam will have to open up, or shut down.

There is sort of an unoffical grace period while the code is "solidified" to be stable enough for GPL inclusion.    Even Google uses this same grace period of time to fix and fiddle with things before releasing Android code for each version completely.   So things have a year or so to shake out.

The hackers will likely have any worthwhile GPU tricks desiminated long before then, so it likely won't really ever become an issue.

If Steam can get VR graphics to really cooperate with them, that will be a first.

Also realize by the time 2 years elapses, we will be so far down the ARM road these current Steam video drivers won't even be relevant for much anyway.  

ARM moves just that fast .....

===================

Wink      ..... question becomes, where will Microsoft be inside that 2 years down the road time frame?    

Intel is building low cost Bay Trail and low cost Haswell to primarily run on Android and Linux primarily (and incidentally to run on MS as well).   The latest low cost Intel New Unit of Computing systems all run on Android/Linux (Microsoft isn't even mentioned until you talk about last year's high end expensive NUC devices with older, bigger processors).    

Wintel is over, finally.

Can Microsoft come up with anything compelling to sell the world for $100 a year in MS 365 tax?    All their core tricks are moving into Android/Linux OSs even as we speak .....

http://liliputing.com/2013/09/ixonos-multi-window-for-android-runs-apps-in-re...

You got a whole crew of brand new groups proposing new replacement OS products, including the Android mod groups, the Linux distros, Mozilla/Firefox, Tisen, Sailfish, etc. etc. etc.    And they SHARE tricks with each other, freely, so whatever is neat and good soon gets used by all.

You got Google itself, building Chrome OS now with full windowing type features including a natural Office eqivalent that has also been released to the Open Source community.   Chrome OS laptops are selling better & better now that they have hard drives and HD based apps.

You got Oppo and Xiaomi each buying up some key Android engineering personel and making up deals with the existing Android Mod teams to make up a new phone and tablet OS of their very own.    Cyanogen is becoming an independent OS company with open roots quite quickly now.

You got Steam and Ubuntu, each now proposing a new OS system to replace Windows.

Windows devices just cost way too too much for what you are getting.   At least the high priced Apple can claim with some justification their closed world "just works better" because they can control all the aspects of that world.    

Issue for Apple is they are falling behind the functional curve with features, speed, etc. etc. and they haven't innovated anything really new for much ever since Steve Jobs died.

Google is now your driver for "new stuff" and they currently rank #1 in both tablet and phone space OS products.  

Cheesy      ..... fun fun fun for everybody next year, I suspect ,,,,,

« Last Edit: 09/24/13 at 10:11:45 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:28:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Wow !!!   Unexpected competition OS for Microsoft

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!