Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starting up an old 1986 savage (Read 315 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Starting up an old 1986 savage
09/22/13 at 20:34:16

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.  I just want to explain a little bit about myself and my bike.  I live in Raleigh, NC.  I don't have much mechanic experience, the little bit I have is from doing maintenance on my car.  I do however have the internet, a clymer manual, and appropriate tools.  I'm really willing to put in the amount of work needed to get this bike running (if it's worth it.) I am an industrial engineering major junior at NC State university and I'm repairing my dad's 1986 savage to ride to class.

The bike has been sitting indoors for at least four years.  It was running at some point around then, but not frequently.  There is no battery.  The front suspension leaks oil and might be pitted.  It doesn't look too severe to my untrained eye.  I can shift through the gears and the brakes seem to work.  

There was unwinterized gasoline in the tank for some long amount of time which I have drained out.  When I was doing it, I switched the petcock to 'on' with the fuel line going into the carburetor and gas started leaking from somewhere below the carburetor onto the floor pretty rapidly.  I emptied the gas tank into a fuel can using the fuel line.  

I took the seat off and checked the fuses and noticed one was broken.  I'll probably replace the fuse and test the electrical system with my car battery tomorrow.  If that goes well then I'll buy a battery and test the spark plug. Then maybe some cleaning and a photo op.

Basically, I want to know some things to check to determine the overall cost/difficulty of repair and the priority of repairing these things.  I will try to be active in this forum and update frequently.  Any information or recommendations you guys can give me would be great.  I look forward to working on this bike and learning more about it.

« Last Edit: 09/24/13 at 20:18:31 by NCSUindy09 »  

IMG_01722.jpg

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Starting up an old 1986 savage
Reply #1 - 09/22/13 at 22:50:17

Ya know,, NO Gas, just checkin spark,, not a bad  plan,,IF you have spark, then gettin thegas to stay in it,
If the old battery is as dead as I suspect, dont leave it hooked up when you getready to start it, It will load the charge system real hard .
Of course, fresh oil is in its future.,
Alook in the tank, for rust,
Gas running in places not considered good can be a problem, These petcocks have been known to allow gas into the carb& even into the crank case, diluting the oil.. not good,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 09/23/13 at 02:20:04

Hi.

Had a similar experience after leaving my bike unchecked in my own garage for the better part of... 18 months...

1. Ditch the old battery, it's hopeless...

2. Drain thegas (you've done it, ok) you can recycle it in your car  Wink
just remember to top to "full" at the gas station, you don't know what chemically happened to the old gas... Undecided

3. Get a can of WD40 or similar, spray a looong dose (10 secs or so) in the cylinder through the spark plug hole (taking the tank off will help)
Leave it to soak in overnight. This is to help the piston unglue itself from the cylinder walls.
Good for the piston rings too  Wink AND helps when starting for the very first time.

4. I advise against using a car battery for the bike's electrical system, it has such a huge surge current you could fry wires right through,
whereas a small (moped or similar) 12V battery will eventually only fry the fuse  Wink

5. BEFORE trying out the starter motor, pull the spark plug, engage 2nd gear and push/pull the bike back and forth a few feet;
you should hear the typical "chuffchuff" sound as the air is sucked in and pushed out of the cylinder.
That is good.
BUT if you hear any scraping - squeaking sounds...  Lips Sealed... aren't you glad you were merely pushing the bike rather than starting it ?  Roll Eyes

6. Once all these tests have proven OK; only after you've renewed those few inches of fuel line with new rubber;  
only after spark plug and solenoid have shown to produce a nice string spark;
pour a quart or so of fuel, turn petcock to "prime", give it 15" to fill the carburetor bowl, pull the starting knob and give her a try.
She may stutter and die out, just avoid gunning the throttle, she should start.
Cool
Best of luck.

PS Once it's "all systems go" may I suggest you replace the stock petcock with a Raptor.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 09/23/13 at 04:37:21

And after all that.If the fuel still runs out,you also may have a bad needle and seat in the carb.The needle on these  have a rubber tip.I just bought one at the local stealership.It was about 30 bucks.Be careful pulling the float bowl off and you can reuse the seal on it.
You'll probably need to clean the carb anyway.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #4 - 09/23/13 at 06:20:33

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll check some of these things tonight and keep you all posted.  Thanks for the quick reply.  

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/23/13 at 07:15:36

Hey,, just ditch my reply & go with Pescatori's answer.. Its much better.
Good answer, Pesci,

Snatsafrazzin ritsafrappin ding dang FURRINERS Innyway!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 09/23/13 at 15:54:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/23/13 at 07:15:36:
Hey,, just ditch my reply & go with Pescatori's answer.. Its much better.
Good answer, Pesci,

Snatsafrazzin ritsafrappin ding dang FURRINERS Innyway!

Words of wisdom,couldn't have said it better. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #7 - 09/23/13 at 16:27:54

Apart from rolling back and forth. I'd just be rolling "forth" on an '86 without the torque limiting starter gear, right?

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #8 - 09/23/13 at 19:01:46

I got the bike to start today.  Fresh battery and fuse.  There was enough oil and the gas tank wasn't rusty.  It would barely idle and would knock off when revved.  I think it just needs the carburetor cleaned.  I'm thinking of buying a rebuild kit, any recommendations?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/23/13 at 22:54:22

Yea, Dont,, just take it apart, clean it up, have a look at the jets,,you may clean them up, you may decide to change them..
Be aware, those arent #2 philips.,You can Use a #2 phillips,  BUT,, ya gotta blunt the tip off till it lets the X land down in the slots all the way.
Youll  be way ahead with a hand held impact if you dont have a power tool impact.

Mechanics need tools,, Anti seize is one of the tools I keep in my shop.
Very handy when working on a bike, cuz thereare so many places where steel bolts screw into aluminum,( aluminium for those across the [pond)

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #10 - 09/24/13 at 06:22:52

Ok thanks.  I don't have an impact driver but I'll see if I can find one of those bits at the store and maybe borrow one from a mechanic friend.  

Another question: the front suspension.  How can I tell if it's good enough for a test ride?  It leaks oil and it's slightly pitted.  I figure I would have to replace the seals, but should I bother with trying to smooth out the forks?  If I go over to work on it today I'll take some pics and post them.  The front suspension goes down and comes back up when I lean on it with the front brake on.  

After I clean the carb and take care of the forks I think it's ready to get inspected.  Then I have to get a motorcycle license and update my insurance.

Thanks everyone for your help, I wouldn't have been able to do any of this alone.  After hearing the bike start and idle yesterday I've been constantly thinking about it just dying to get back in the shop.  Such a great feeling.
-Ryan

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/24/13 at 06:31:42

If its pitted youre gonna need to adress that. That will cut new seals.

Also, be careful spankin on bolts in an unsuported, cast aluminum bit.. they can break..That impact costs a whopping FIVEDollurz..

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #12 - 09/24/13 at 19:04:24

I removed the carb and took the entire thing to a car mechanic friend to have it cleaned.  He came with me and we put the carb and gas tank back on.  We started the bike and the idle sounded much better.  However, it would knock off after revving.  It would backfire after knocking off.  My mechanic friend tried to stop it from doing that by adjusting the mix using the gold screw at the front of the carb.  We couldn't get it to run smoothly after being revved although the idle sounded fine.  I haven't done my research yet on why this is happening but I'm going to start digging now.

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #13 - 09/24/13 at 20:02:47

Ok so I read a lot about tuning the carb and adjusting the idle speed.  I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow now that I know a little more about it.  Hopefully I won't have to take the stubborn carb out again.  If I can't get that to work I might just take it to a professional.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/24/13 at 21:34:23

Lookat the TEV stuff in the tech section.

Dont ;let the gas  slap shut
Make sure the idle ius high enough. It will die coming off the gas if its toolow

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 09:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting up an old 1986 savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.