Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing stock sissy bar? (Read 191 times)
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Replacing stock sissy bar?
09/20/13 at 18:09:00

(Didn't think this was enough of a technical question to put in RSD, so I'm sticking it in here . . .)

I took my wonderful, but occasionally crotchety, wife on the Savage last weekend, our first two-up ride since I bought it a few weeks back.

And, she liked it, overall.  She pronounced it superior for her posterior than previous sportbikes were.

But she did complain, semi-loudly, about the passenger backrest/sissy bar pad.  Too much vibration through the pad, and it hit her right in the small of the back, she wants it higher.  This is the factory (short) sissy bar and pad, or at least that's what I'm assuming it is.

I did a search of the board, but while the question had been asked, I didn't see any definite answer.  So, is there a direct, bolt-on replacement that will extend the sissy bar and/or raise the pad?  Or, am I going to have to modify something to fit?

I've seen any number of supposed-to-fits, but these all seemed to have round tubing, and what I have now is made from square stock.

Also, as to the vibration through the pad, has anyone tried some type of rubber mounting for that, to reduce the vibration?

2002 Savage, 2005 HD E-Glide Classic
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Replacing stock sissy bar?
Reply #1 - 09/20/13 at 20:47:38

I haven't seen any aftermarket parts that sound like what you are looking for.  I have seen some real nice sissy bar racks but they were custom made / fabricated.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 09/20/13 at 20:54:52

No direct swaps, a few HD part numbers are close, but you'll have to drill and tap new mounting holes in them. Most owners end up cobble jobbing a workable replacement. I sent my only spare to Colorado about 3 months ago, was a 14 inch or so rise unit, but did not have a pad.

I do have this one left, you'd have to modify the fender rails to run it though... and make a pad...

Yes, those are 15 inch rise handlebars, and yes, the chick stick really is that high... that is not an optical "delusion"...

1970s KZ/CB/GS 4 banger chopper left over.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #3 - 09/20/13 at 21:22:34

OK, well that last one is a bit more than I need . . . Wink

Thanks for the replies, so it looks like some fab work will be needed.  And I have neither expertise nor equipment for that sort of modding.

My off-the-cuff first thought is to get a second stock pad to use for experimentation.  I'm thinking maybe I can retain the stock bar, and just make the pad itself bigger, then reupholster the whole shebang in an over-stuffed sort of fashion.  If it could be made to look decent, that might be an easy way around drilling holes,etc.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 09/20/13 at 21:50:02

You can come up with a lot of ideas pretty easily.  Maybe make your own pad with some foam padding and marine grade vinyl from the fabric shop.  Or you could just get a new seat cover and save you the trouble - just kidding.  http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Templates/Forum/default/cheesy.gif

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 09/20/13 at 21:52:36

Easy fix, cut the mounting rails off, heat it and bend it to fit the factory brackets. Would drop it about 6-8 inches.

My wife actually wants to run it on her Intruder, but I have one off a lowrider bicycle that will be easier to adapt. You think the Savage is odd, try an 800 Intruder sometime, craptastic...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #6 - 09/20/13 at 22:22:28

Keep the stock sissy bar. Get a new wife. See, problem solved! Wink

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/20/13 at 23:49:17

I think it's more a height issue than padding...
That lower area of the back isn't meant to support our body...
A vise, and a propane torch, can bend you up a a taller sissy... that will lend support to her back, rather than jab at it...
Ask the wifey, what will help...  

I'm guessing,... if she could arch toward you, she could lean.... if she could arch more back, she could recline...
The stock sissy prevents both... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 09/21/13 at 02:41:21

I took my stock sissy bar to a welding shop and they took a square 5/8 inch stock of steel and formed it to fit exactly the same demensions as the stock one so it would fit into the rails and shortened it so I know have a grab bar. I never ride double up and hated the pad. You can have them make it any size you want and if i remember right they charged me $20

IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #9 - 09/21/13 at 20:27:49

Having one made up hadn't occurred to me, but that idea does have some merit if none of the aftermarket ones will fit without modifications.

Perhaps have one made that will take the stock pad, just about 6" higher.

Quote:
if she could arch toward you, she could lean.... if she could arch more back, she could recline...
The stock sissy prevents both... Huh...

Bullseye, Serowbot.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 09/22/13 at 00:51:53

I went down to Lowe's and bought a 3 foot piece of 3/4" square tubing and some 1/8" sheet steel (1' square). I cut off a six inch piece of the tubing and then halved the other piece (about a foot and 3" each piece.
I then clamped the long pieces to the existing short backrest, laid the six inch piece across the top and marked then cut the top of the long pieces so the six inch piece would lie flat.

I then made some brackets angle pieces out of the sheet metal and riveted them to the top. After wards I drilled two holes thru the bottom to the existing short backrest and viola! Another backyard bill production piece, wife is happy, I am happy she is happy, all is well!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 09/24/13 at 07:33:04

Missed your chance, the chick stick from hell has gone to a new home. Friend is picking up a KZ650CSR to make a period correct swing arm chopper out of. He'll likely also get my 4.75 gallon Mustang tank, since the Savage has such a stubby little frame backbone.

And I swapped him my 15" rise apes for some FLR-P bars, a police solo for the Drfter since it won't work on the Savage's god awful goofy frame design, and a Road Star windshield to cut down and custom make one for my Savage. Had to go back to town friendly commuter specs, 90 miles per day commute starts in Oct or Nov.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
civilsavage
YaBB Newbies

Standing at the
Crossroads . . .

OH and PA
Reply #12 - 09/24/13 at 19:41:43

Quote:
Missed your chance, the chick stick from hell has gone to a new home.

Several punchlines come to mind . . .nah, too easy! Cool

The fact that you're talking commuting on two wheels in November is the difference between TN and here.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 09/25/13 at 02:28:31

Rode year round in the Seattle area as well, even after shattering a shoulder in Feb 2008. Rain or shine. I loathe driving, my bike being down for more than 2 years has been driving me crazy.

Down here, air cooled are usually parked for the late spring through early fall, this is like living in hell, but it's humid.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:26:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Replacing stock sissy bar?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.