Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I dare not say it… But is this my petcock dying? (Read 119 times)
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

I dare not say it… But is this my petcock dying?
09/20/13 at 05:35:45

I'm 500 miles into a 2000 mile road trip and I've started noticing an issue with my bike that I hope is not the petcock but I fear might be. First, the stats: it's a 2009 S40 with 2200 miles on it.

It's very subtle and I almost can't tell if it's psychosomatic or if I'm really feeling it, but I think I'm feeling it… When I'm driving around mid RPMs I feel a slight bucking or pulsing in the throttle. If I'm up at highway speeds I don't feel it. And if I'm geared too low so that I'm at high rpm's for my speed I don't feel it or at least it's incredibly subtle.

Am i describing petcock failure?

I really hope not, because getting a hold of a raptor on a Friday in the middle of nowhere doesn't seem like something that's going to happen.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: I dare not say it… But is this my petcock dyin
Reply #1 - 09/20/13 at 07:29:55

What you describe could be a dirty carb problem, a mid throttle lean surge, or a petcock issue, a spark plug problem.....or maybe some other issues.

You could throw some SeaFoam, Lucas, STP or any other brand of fuel system cleaner in and see if that helps.  A single bottle should be good for about 10 tanks of fuel.

If you want to rule out the petcock pull off the vacuum line, plug the vacuum port and hose, then switch to PRIME and see if the bike runs any better.  If your petcock does fail....plugging the vacuum ports and running on PRIME this will get you through your entire trip....but without any Reserve tanks so stop and get fuel every 100 miles.

Long trips do give you the time to start noticing things that you don't normally notice on short trips.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #2 - 09/20/13 at 07:45:29

Thanks for some peace of mind, Dave.  I worried that I was stopped dead in my tracks for a few days.  I just wish I could tell if I was noticing it for REAL or becoming paranoid and feeling road bumps.  But I mean, I know what road bumps feel like so I really don't think I'm imagining it.

If I engage the clutch and coast should I feel the issue go away? That would at least let me rule out psychosomatic engine trouble. Smiley

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/20/13 at 07:54:28

If you feel the issue while coasting.....it is not engine related but more likely the pavement, wheels/tires, buffeting wind, etc.

With the stock jetting my bike had a lean condition that would make the engine unsteady at a throttle setting just about 1/8th throttle...the engine would pull unevenly....and adding or subtracting just a bit of throttle would make the engine run smoother.  After re-jetting it ran just fine.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #4 - 09/21/13 at 20:36:25

FWIW, my 2007 S40 with (then) 9000 miles on it had the same symptom, and it was cured by substituting three thin washers for the white spacer on the carb needle.

2200 miles seems like very few miles for the petcock to go, though that's easy to test as Dave described. My stock petcock was perfect when I swapped it for the Raptor, also at 9000 miles, but anything's possible.

- David
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #5 - 09/23/13 at 15:31:54

Well I can report that the bike is still running, and likely running "fine."  I say likely because I still can't tell if I feel a little something or not.  It could be the uneven throttle people have mentioned or it could be nothing.  When I was in Moab, Utah (the last moderate sized town I'll see for a while) I had a shop look at it.  A mechanic took it out for a spin and said it felt fine to him, though he did notice the bolt on my steering column was very loose. With that fixed, I headed off and have done about 600 more miles without any problems.  If I pay attention to it, I still think I sorta feel a subtle jumpiness to the throttle when cruising at what should be a steady speed but it's not bad so I'm just cruising on.  When I get home to sea level I'm going to have my carbs rejetted anyway and I'll see if it goes away then, anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 23:27:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I dare not say it… But is this my petcock dying?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.