Send Topic Print
S40 Volkswagen (Read 217 times)
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
S40 Volkswagen
09/19/13 at 18:30:39

Noticed past few days my 06 S40 begining to sound like a WV Beetle.  Noise definately coming from muffler (stock).  Anything can be done other than replacing muffler? I checked connection from header I was only able to tighten the bolt just slightly didnt help.  I started when it was cold and immedatley put my hand near there didnt feel any air coming from the joint.

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: S40 Volkswagen
Reply #1 - 09/19/13 at 18:40:20

I think you might have to be more descriptive.  Is it a strange squeak?  suddenly loud?  Suddenly sounds like a 1600cc flat four? Cheesy

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 09/19/13 at 18:59:12

They have been known to start whistling (like an old air-cooled VW).  It is something rusting/coming loose and vibrating inside the OEM muffler.  Mine did it.  

Junk that thing and get yourself a takeoff Harley Dyna-glide muffler.  They fit easily, sound nice, weigh less and are nice quality heavy chrome.  There are a number of threads on this site that explain how to do it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/19/13 at 19:53:08

Yep,, by 5,000 miles thats what mine sounded like,.,
I dropped a load& got a Supertrapp, but, that was a waste of $$, IMO.
A Dyna muffler looks better, sounds great &  offers about the same power boost. Leaving about $380.00 for tires &gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 09/20/13 at 05:00:19

ahhhhh

yep..  I pulled mine off, did the can crush gasket... still sound like a VW....

IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #5 - 09/20/13 at 05:21:08

It is definately coming from the muffler. I swear if I wasnt looking at it sounds like I have a VW Beetle in my garage  Grin I just dropped $$$ on new tires this week (it needed them bad) and it just turned 5000 miles this week too.  Where can I find those dyna glide mufflers and is it something that has to be modded or direct bolt on?  Carb need rejet for that?

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/20/13 at 05:26:07

There are currently several of them for sale in the Marketplace in this forum.  They come in pairs on a Harley so most people buy a pair and then sell the extra one.  You can also find them on eBay.

Go to the Technical Section and read the Guide to Dyna muffler thread to find out which one you wan to buy and how to mount it.  If you don't want to slice the muffler and use a soup can....you can buy the angle adapter from RYCA.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/20/13 at 06:17:33

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #8 - 09/20/13 at 07:42:01

Looks that will be my next project soon as I pay off the new tires I bought for it this week.  Having rear tire put on today.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 09/20/13 at 07:58:50

Rush, I just purchase two Dyna mufflers off ebay for the wife's savage and my future savage, for a measly $30 + $10 shipping and handling. You can find bargains out there, just bid low and see what happens.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #10 - 09/20/13 at 09:16:45

old_rider wrote on 09/20/13 at 07:58:50:
Rush, I just purchase two Dyna mufflers off ebay for the wife's savage and my future savage, for a measly $30 + $10 shipping and handling. You can find bargains out there, just bid low and see what happens.

I have thats probably where I'll go to get one

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #11 - 09/20/13 at 10:08:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/19/13 at 19:53:08:
A Dyna muffler looks better, sounds great &  offers about the same power boost. Leaving about $380.00 for tires &gas.

I too spent the big bucks thinking a Supertrapp universal megaphone #728-50650 was the way to go.  Nope - 5,000 miles later it's buzzing from a loose baffle and backfiring worse cos the fiberglass packing is shot already.  I'm springing for the $30 repack kit this one time but will be on the lookout for a more solid stock, undrilled Dyna or Sporty shorty as well.  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 09/20/13 at 10:20:28

rokrover wrote on 09/20/13 at 10:08:45:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/19/13 at 19:53:08:

I too spent the big bucks thinking a Supertrapp universal megaphone #728-50650 was the way to go.  Nope - 5,000 miles later it's buzzing from a loose baffle and backfiring worse cos the fiberglass packing is shot already.  I'm springing for the $30 repack kit this one time but will be on the lookout for a more solid stock, undrilled Dyna or Sporty shorty as well.  

Copper and or stainless steel scrubbing pads; wood stove door gasketing rope; fiberglass cloth topped with bulk mat and more cloth... all work better than the repack kits. wood stove rope lasts for years, just wind it onto the core fairly loosely. It's basically 1 inch wide, 3/8 inch thick header wrap. If you can find a 1950s or older house being remodeled, swipe some of the black "rock wool" insulation, wear gloves and a respirator, it's pretty much copper smelting slag with some asbestos in it. Doesn't blow out as quickly as fiberglass packing material does.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/21/13 at 08:45:48

wood stove rope lasts for years,

Well DUHH! I could slap  myself. Usually I am able to look at something that has certain properties & see it used to solve other problems,BUT I didnt see this, even tho Ive known about that rope.. OfCourse its okay for a muffler.. !!!Thanks,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 01:19:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Volkswagen

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.