Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Help me decide...
09/18/13 at 09:59:25

Progressives...

these...
http://www.jcmotors.com/p-15027-progressive-suspension-412-series-11-chrome-r...

or these...
http://www.jcmotors.com/p-14906-progressive-suspension-412-series-115-chrome-...

150 lbs, 5' 9", occassionally ride double but not very often.
I've heard the 11.5" will jack the back up a couple inches but I don't want it to look odd...although I've also heard it improves front end handling...
kinda pricey so I want some feedback from those in the know...
Thanks!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Help me decide...
Reply #1 - 09/18/13 at 10:26:36

Well, you need to do a little research before you decide.  The stock shock has a very limited amount of travel - so the shock does not move much.  The Progressive shocks probably have more travel - so even though it is a longer shock it might actually allow the wheel to rise up higher in the fender when fully compressed.  Take the part numbers you are looking at, go to the Progressive website and find out the length of the shock when compressed.  Take off you stock shocks and raise the swing arm up so that the distance between the shock mounts matches the compressed length of the shocks you are considering, and see if anything hits or rubs.  You can buy some travel limiting blocks from Progressive that can be installed to limit the travel a little bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 09/18/13 at 11:03:40

Thanks...I should probably add that I have Pirelli 140/90 15 tires...the compressed length on both the shocks I'm looking at is 9 inches...

I wasn't thinking really of clearance issues (but that's a good point) more ride characteristics and I wanted to know if the 11.5 inch shocks would look goofy (only 1" longer but raises the fender 2")...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/18/13 at 11:06:05

...goofy is in the aye of the beholder... Huh...

I think hardtails look goofy... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 09/18/13 at 11:15:45

Thanks Serow for the reality check but anyone have input about what these do to the lines of the bike as well as the ride/handling?
Wink
The goofiness factor is not the biggest priority if the trade off is great performance...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/18/13 at 11:18:00

Use the search function and look through some old threads.  There are plenty of photos of bikes that have longer shocks on them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/18/13 at 12:43:22

Inch longer shocks don't mean inch higher
More like 5/8 higher per inch longer shock

WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 09/19/13 at 13:58:19

I just put the 11.5" shocks on... really, if you didnt know how it sat... you really wouldn't notice now. However the seat height is up about 1/2"

ha I ran outside and took 2 pics:

Before shot:

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 09/19/13 at 14:02:22

Thanks Pine. Good to know...

I'm looking at some on e-bay right now and a guy near my home just posted some on CL...he's gonna check the model #/Spring rating for me tonight...he's asking 150.00 but I think I might try to get him down to 100.00...

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 09/19/13 at 16:26:31

Sorry bout' gettin' off topic but, pine the wife wants to know where you got those seats or did you stuff them?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 09/19/13 at 16:35:56

old_rider wrote on 09/19/13 at 16:26:31:
Sorry bout' gettin' off topic but, pine the wife wants to know where you got those seats or did you stuff them?

I posted about them when I got it done. Thats the stock pans that I had a guy re-cover. The guy that did it normally does boat seats... so he knows his stuff on weather and comfort. Those seats are now over a year old.  The seats have all new vinyl, and two types of foam, including memory foam.
While he did his best and it is better... its still a 30 minute seat.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 09/20/13 at 08:01:30

Thanks....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:19:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help me decide...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.