Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I think I'll set out winter..... (Read 77 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
I think I'll set out winter.....
09/17/13 at 16:57:12

After a few close calls in the ice and snow, I believe its folly for me to ride (commute) to work this winter. Ferry lines are not a problem but parking at work is. I can walk on the ferry and catch a special shuttle that picks me up and drops me off at work, then brings me back. Of course I'll lose some time in all the shuffle, but safety will be assured. My question.... our winters are not so bad that I can't slip in a winters ride ever so often, once every two weeks or so, is that good enough to keep her spirits up, or should I put her up? I'd rather keep her going, as they seem to fair better when active.... 3 months max is all were talking about, and most of those days are above freezing.

What you all think?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Re: I think I'll set out winter.....
Reply #1 - 09/17/13 at 17:24:57

It's been many years since I had to think about this sort of situation, but...  what I used to do was leave my bike outside all the time (no garage to keep it in) and go outside and start it up at least once per week, if not multiple times during the week.

If it was warm enough to be able to ride around the block a couple of times, I'd ride around my neighborhood (trailer park), otherwise I left it sitting and ran it in place.

Back then I had a center stand so I could stand the bike up and put it in gear to keep everything going (chain, wheel, etc.) if I wanted to.

Winters in my area aren't that bad, though there were times when there was snow/ice on the ground or in the forecast and I would avoid riding the bike at those times.

I used to ride almost full time as the car that I had back then wasn't that reliable and/or had it's own mechanical issues, so just being cold wasn't enough of a reason to not ride.  Insulated overalls were used to cover me as I rode to and from work, etc.  When I had a car that I could drive, I would take it and over time I had saved enough in costs to be able to get a better car so the bike got used less and less over time, and with little ones in my home, well, eventually I was somewhat commanded to stay off bikes if possible.

It's many years later, I've survived a wife that was killed in a car wreck that wasn't her fault, and wife 2.0 doesn't mind me riding.  My kids are grown and have their own income, I've got plenty of insurance, so I ride and enjoy myself knowing that the risk is always there in everything I do, even if it is just driving a car minutes away from my home (as happened with wife 1.0)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/17/13 at 17:25:52

I jez' finished setting out summer... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/17/13 at 17:43:16

If you can go for a ride every coupla weeks I don't think you need to do anything. I'm aquainted with a few bikes that don't get rode any more often than that, and the guys that own them think they ride a lot Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/17/13 at 19:11:50

IMO, Youd be ahead to shut off fuel & drain the carb, so it doesntevaporate away& create some film every coupla weeks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 09/17/13 at 20:10:26

oldNslow wrote on 09/17/13 at 17:43:16:
If you can go for a ride every coupla weeks I don't think you need to do anything. I'm aquainted with a few bikes that don't get rode any more often than that, and the guys that own them think they ride a lot Smiley

You must be talking about me Grin I barely get in 10,000 miles a year!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 09:28:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think I'll set out winter.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.