Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Attached Saddlebag supports, now cutting sidewall (Read 384 times)
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Re: Attached Saddlebag supports, now cutting sidew
Reply #15 - 09/17/13 at 16:18:47

Even with the pictures, it's hard to see just how close the supports are to the tire, but...

... as can also be seen in the pictures, it would seem that the shop that sold me the tire and installed same apparently felt they had done me a favor and installed a tire that was taller and wider than the bike is supposed to have on it.

Given that, it would seem that the problem is that Suzuki expected more clearance from the original tires and didn't leave all that much room for wider/taller tires.

In my case, the wider (for those, like me before reading the information and learning along the way) comes from the "90" portion of the tire size.  The tire width is 90 percent of the height, which in this case would be the 150 portion of the tire size.

The original tire would have been a 140/80, so it would have been shorter and skinnier (only 80 percent of the 140).

I can order the smaller tire and get it installed, or... well, replace the shocks with the ones that I've ordered via eBay and see how that holds up.

At this point, I'd rather go with the shocks, though I may change my tune when I get the shocks and find them a total p-i-t-a to install Tongue (hopefully not, but I don't want to count my chickens...)

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #16 - 09/17/13 at 17:04:33

Oh, one other update here - I will certainly be ordering another tire soon too, to be installed when I put the bike in the shop for the winter (for storage, and repairs of my laundry list of repairs that I'll get done by the shop).

I'll order the tire online since that would save me a little on the cost for the part, and then pay to have it installed since that type of work is beyond my skillset (and probably that of my dad as well).

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #17 - 09/17/13 at 17:29:28

The tire on there is bigger than the stock.  If I remember correctly it was 140 / 80 / 15.  The one I put on was 140 / 90 / 15 and it was to big as well.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 09/17/13 at 18:53:15

You are close... 150mm WIDE, 90% of that in sidewall height (when installed on the correct width rim). Our rims are already maxed out safely with a 140 width tire. That narrow of a rim really and truly was designed to run a 130 wide tire. Running a 150/90 on a wheel that is safety spec'd for a 130 gives you a mounted/installed width between 155 and 170mm depending on the tire brand and model.

Notch your fender rails. Install the bag supports INSIDE the rail. Button head bolts from the inside. Trim the bag support bolt pillars to fit if needed, or shim tight with washers. Or fit the rear with a 130/90 tire and be done with it, the bike will have a slightly better lean angle and a bit faster turning ability. Negligible, but it is there.

140/80-15 stock tire makes the speedometer read 10% off. 140/90 usually fits fine, even with bag supports. I'd lay even money the supports were redesigned under an rpc (running production change) on the same part number.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #19 - 09/17/13 at 19:35:59

What's a rpc?

IP Logged
fsfishnchips
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/19/13 at 00:30:58

this works for now !

Install the bag supports INSIDE the rail.

The rear signal looking kinda funny, will live with it until its time for a new tire  Wink

inside_rail.JPG
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 09/19/13 at 05:35:57

pg wrote on 09/17/13 at 19:35:59:
What's a rpc?

Running Production Change. Like when the carb jetting is changed, or stiffer spring rates are added, additional frame bracing is factory installed, etc. Bikes will be going down the line, and when the older spec parts are used up, the next bikes get the new spec parts. Design changes that do not require any sort of public notice. On one of my trucks, the 2 big rpcs were switching from floor shift 3 speed to column shift 3 speed, and floor mounted parking brake to dash mounted parking brake handle, mid year. Which to me was a step backwards. If my example had been a 3 on the tree, I'd have pressed the crusher button myself.

On Savages, rpcs are generally lighting or carburetor related (jetting). Or the factory finding a batch of obsolete parts and inserting them mid-run. Or your Made in Japan parts being phased out and Chinese/Taiwanese parts being phased in. Notice the increase in petcock failures since the LS650 became the S40... RPC.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #22 - 09/19/13 at 05:46:19

fsfishnchips wrote on 09/19/13 at 00:30:58:
this works for now !

Install the bag supports INSIDE the rail.

The rear signal looking kinda funny, will live with it until its time for a new tire  Wink

For me this wouldn't work since it is the front part of the support that is rubbing the tire.  The back is well clear of the tire, even when I bounce the bike over the bumpy roads.

I have the shocks on order, hopefully arriving today or tomorrow.  I don't know that I'll have the time to install them this weekend, but I hope to be able to do so since I'd like to get the bike back on the road.

In the off-season I'll get the tire replaced with original size tire.  Probably get the forward controls mounted at the same time (assuming I can catch a set of them when Routy has them in stock Tongue )

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #23 - 09/20/13 at 18:40:36

Got the new shocks yesterday.  Shiny.  A small ding on one of them, but really not bad looking at all.  Glad that the pictures that the seller (on eBay) had taken were actually of these shocks and not just a generic picture that he had used.

Installed these "new" for me (but used, pulled from a VS800) shocks tonight.  Took a little effort and a bit of a balancing act to get the bike up on the jack, balanced somewhat on a cinderblock, etc., to the point that I could get the old shocks off and get the swingarm to drop a bit and open up the distance needed for the new shocks to be attached.  Got past that, got the shocks completely attached and bolted on nicely.

The Corbin seat had arrived in the last few days as well.  Since I was in wrench and socket usin' mode, I went for doing the install on the seat as well.  Got finished just before sunset, with just enough daylight out to be able to see a little of the road.

Took the bike for a ride to check out how tight the shocks are and whether I'd be likely to scuff up the sidewall any more.  Nope.

On the seat, wow, definitely a difference maker.  I have to say that I love. love. love.  LOVE the rear support, or should I say back support, that is provided.  The pocket for my rump to sit in on the Corbin feels great compared to the stock seat.  Woo hoo!

On the plus side, even though I'm working towards ordering the forward controls setup from Routy, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the riding position is on the new setup.  With the butt end of the bike raised from the replacement shocks, I had more leg space available to me than I had expected.  I could certainly see where the forward controls would be more comfortable, but what I have now is definitely far from uncomfortable.

Almost a happy ending.  If not for the sidewall damage that will have me replacing that tire sooner than I might otherwise have done, I'd be pretty happy.  As is, it'll still be cool.  I'll get a few more miles out of the tire, replace it before next riding season, and be ready to roll again for the spring time.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #24 - 09/20/13 at 21:38:04

If it isn't to much trouble can you take a pic of how it turned out?  Thanks.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 09/20/13 at 21:56:37

I'd guess like Pine's bike... but in a faded orangish-pinkish-yellowish tone...  Wink

1998s were good bikes, with really, and I mean really, low u.v. resistance bright orange paint. FYI, Kubota Type 2 (same thing as Alice Chalmers) orange is close enough, you can repaint the bike for about $12. Krylon Pumpkin Orange would run about the same but isn't as scratch resistant as tractor enamels.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #26 - 09/20/13 at 22:15:36

I'd like to see how the shocks look.  Thanks.

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #27 - 09/21/13 at 05:34:29

pg wrote on 09/20/13 at 21:38:04:
If it isn't to much trouble can you take a pic of how it turned out?  Thanks.

Pics should be coming a little later today. Smiley  It was too dark last night to get pictures.  Hopefully the pictures earlier in the thread will show the "before" height fairly well.

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #28 - 09/21/13 at 06:34:05

Here's pictures of how things turned out and how the bike now looks.

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #29 - 09/21/13 at 06:36:03

Plenty of clearance under the fender now, and really, more comfortable for my somewhat longer legs to reach the ground from the new seat level.  End result = happy rider.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:12:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Attached Saddlebag supports, now cutting sidewall

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.