Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Attached Saddlebag supports, now cutting sidewall (Read 384 times)
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Attached Saddlebag supports, now cutting sidewall
09/16/13 at 17:09:35

Argh, my dad and I got the saddlebag supports (which were the proper part number for my model year, 99950-70145) attached yesterday.  At the time, it seemed probable as I looked at it, that I'd be in danger of having the support on the belt side of the bike scrape the tire.  Well, as feared/predicted, that is what is happening.  I've cut the sidewall on my tire enough to leave a build-up of rubber where the tire was being cut Sad

I tried pulling the fender out as best I could just by tugging on it myself (grabbing the front part of the saddlebag support, bending/tugging gently outward and upward), but when I was riding home from work this afternoon, I could still hear the tire being scraped when I hit bumps that basically have my 240+ pounds bouncing up and down.

Suggestions on how to pull that fender out more so that the support has more clearance?

Also would love suggestions on how to raise the rear a bit more to get more clearance under the fender in general.  I've read through the manual a bit and seen the notes on being able to adjust the shocks, but am unclear on whether trying to adjust for a stiffer ride would result in any improvement.  (And to be honest, since the bike is an older one, 1998, I'm not sure that the stock shocks could even be adjusted now)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Attached Saddlebag supports, now cutting sidew
Reply #1 - 09/16/13 at 21:16:09

Get a set of stock take off rear shocks from a VS 800 Intruder. NOT an S50. Will raise the back a good 3 inches or so. And pull your bolt that are rubbing, replace them with dome/panhead cap screws, preferably ones keyed for allen wrenches. No more rubbing, and you could likely step up to a 150 tire with a touch of room to spare. Even set on midrange, the Intruder shocks on mine are a phenomenal imporovement. Surprisingly enough, putting my Savage's stock rear shocks on the 800 Intruder improved it as well... go figure.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/17/13 at 00:18:26

Them bolts can rub... especially if you have a 140/90 on the back....
Reverse the bolts to stick out instead of in... or use round heads...
Heck... you know the drill...
If it rubs... work it so it don't...
... but, never give in... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #3 - 09/17/13 at 04:55:39

WD wrote on 09/16/13 at 21:16:09:
Get a set of stock take off rear shocks from a VS 800 Intruder. NOT an S50. Will raise the back a good 3 inches or so. And pull your bolt that are rubbing, replace them with dome/panhead cap screws, preferably ones keyed for allen wrenches. No more rubbing, and you could likely step up to a 150 tire with a touch of room to spare. Even set on midrange, the Intruder shocks on mine are a phenomenal imporovement. Surprisingly enough, putting my Savage's stock rear shocks on the 800 Intruder improved it as well... go figure.

Just to be clear, it's not the bolt that is rubbing, it's the saddlebag support that is rubbing.  I'm clear of the bolt, but the saddlebag support is just too close to the tire as things sit.

Raising the rear should help though, and that is well worth considering, though I'm not sure I'd need 3 inches.  I'd settle for 1 at this point.  (I should probably go for 3 though, since my heavy butt weighs down on things more than it should Wink Tongue )

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 09/17/13 at 05:21:24

That's odd, usually it is the bolt that rubs.

I;m usually around 235#, my full fender would bottom out on speed bumps with the stock rear shocks, has room to spare with Intruder shocks set on mid range.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/17/13 at 07:22:43

Can you afford to lose any of the meat  of the support? Can you grind it to clear the tire?
Bend it away?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #6 - 09/17/13 at 07:53:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/13 at 07:22:43:
Can you afford to lose any of the meat  of the support? Can you grind it to clear the tire?
Bend it away?

I've been trying to bend it away, but I think in the end it's the fender that needs to bend.

I did think about grinding some of the support away, and that is a possibility.  There just isn't much clearance on the belt side of my rear tire (not a ton on the other side either, but more than is on the belt side).

I think I'm gonna try grabbing the fender with some vice grips on either side of the support/bolt, and try prying things out some from there.

Meanwhile, the idea of replacing the shocks is appealing as well.  I'm more frustrated and a bit p.o.'d at this point that I've been cutting down fairly new tires.  (I just got the bike street worthy back in July, the tire has only about 1k miles on it, but it's been nicked up nastily on the sidewall now Sad )

IP Logged
fsfishnchips
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/17/13 at 11:19:38

what size of tire you currently have?

I upgraded mine to 140/90 and now its also rubbing against the belt-side support (not bolt)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378453259

Is there any support options that "does not" go inside the fender ??

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/17/13 at 12:08:09

terfpan1980:

The support and help you get would be more accurate if you could post some pictures so we can tell what is going on.  There are some issues that we can fix in the dark, with our eyes closed, while eating crackers and trying to whistle....but an unusual interference issue with a bolt on accessory is not one of those.

Just sayin........

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #9 - 09/17/13 at 13:46:21

Dave wrote on 09/17/13 at 12:08:09:
terfpan1980:

The support and help you get would be more accurate if you could post some pictures so we can tell what is going on.  There are some issues that we can fix in the dark, with our eyes closed, while eating crackers and trying to whistle....but an unusual interference issue with a bolt on accessory is not one of those.

Just sayin........

I'll try to get pics of this tonight.  By the time I had seen the tire damage yesterday, I was more concerned with getting the bike home safely.  By the time I was home it was too dark to do anything (other than a text description of the problem here).

I could have gotten a pic this morning, but I was still p.o.'d at having the problem and be forced to drive the beast (my minivan) into work today when I should have otherwise had good riding weather to enjoy Sad

I did take WD's advice and have purchased a pair of shocks from the VS 800 Intruder.  If that will buy me a few more inches of clearance above the tire, then I'll be better off in the long run.  I should have those in hand by the weekend, so other than losing a few good days of riding weather and the cost of the shocks, it's not that bad, but I know I'll wind up having to replace that tire much sooner than I had hoped.

Good thought and suggestion/question above about the size of the tire.  I'm not certain what the shop that did all of the work on the bike had installed for me.  (It seems that fsfishnchips had exactly the issue that I had here)

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 09/17/13 at 14:39:14

I have the same problem.  How much were the shocks and are they difficult to find?  Thanks, best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #11 - 09/17/13 at 14:43:19

pg wrote on 09/17/13 at 14:39:14:
I have the same problem.  How much were the shocks and are they difficult to find?  Thanks, best regards.

Do an eBay search for the VS800 or Suzuki VS 800 shock and you should come up with multiple hits and multiple price ranges, depending on the age of the shocks and the amount of wear/cosmetic damage, etc.

I got a set that was priced around $70.  I could have spent more easily enough, but the set that I was looking at seemed to be in reasonable shape and I didn't necessarily want to jump into paying for performance shocks (though I must admit to being interested in the recent thread here that talked about same and the more comfortable results that using them provided to the person that had bought and installed them)

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #12 - 09/17/13 at 14:46:22

Seeing more than a couple of people with the same problem here, it has me thinking that this is definitely something that should be recorded for posterity sake.  Again, I'll try to get pictures tonight and post them for all to be able to see.  No promises on how good the pictures come out, but hopefully I'll get something very useful to point out the issues with.

In the end, I want to slap around the engineers at Suzuki for this one.  I installed parts they supplied and would have expected that they'd have designed these pieces to have plenty of clearance.  Having things as close as they do and not leaving some room there in case the bike hits a bump seems pretty stupid to me.  Undecided

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 09/17/13 at 15:16:58

Please do, I'm interested to see who it works out.  I spent $150 on a new tire and $100 to have it put on.  Same problem, and I don't feel comfortable riding on it knowing when I hit a bump it is going to rub.  The guys at J&P Cycle told me it wasn't rubbing.  I told them I can see the gauge in the tire.  I wouldn't recommend doing business with them.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #14 - 09/17/13 at 16:12:56

Here's the pictures (assuming all of them will show up here)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:17:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Attached Saddlebag supports, now cutting sidewall

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.