Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dead Alternator.....I can fix it! (Read 71 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Dead Alternator.....I can fix it!
09/16/13 at 05:00:11

A friend of mine just bought a used motorcycle in North Carolina and got a ride down onthe back of a friends motorcycle to pick it up.  On the way home the alternator died......and there was no way to fix it on the road.

His clever solution was to buy a car battery and attach it to his luggage rack, buy some cheap jumper cables and wire the new battery to the electrical leads on the wiring harness, unplug the headlight......and ride home across 4 states!  His wife was waiting at home with his trailer hooked up, but he made it home fine.

I thought is was a clever solution and am posting it here....just in case you ever get into a situation like this it might help.

« Last Edit: 09/16/13 at 08:13:59 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Dead Alternator.....I can fix it!
Reply #1 - 09/16/13 at 08:06:43

Cool.  I like to hear about clever and creative fixes.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/16/13 at 10:21:27

Somebody just told me this the other day... but he was riding with a buddy cross country and his stator died...
So they  both disconnected their headlights,... and they just swapped batteries every 100 miles or so...
One charged while the other drained...

Another buddy tells the story of when he and his Pop were coming back from a fishing trip, towing a boat, and the car's fuel pump quit...
Pop took the gas can out of the boat and put it in the passenger seat, then ran a squeezeball type siphon pump tube to the carb,... and drove the rest of the way home squeezing that ball every couple of seconds to refill the floatbowl...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 09/16/13 at 20:14:20

A friend had an old 45 series landcruiser. The fuel pump died so he strapped a jerrycan to the bonnet, ran a siphon hose to the carb fuel inlet and let gravity do it's thing for 4 years (!)

When I was doing my LPG installation course, the lecturer told the class about some linesmen who were working out in the bush 100's of miles from anywhere. The fuel pump in their vehicle died so they ran a hose from a gas cylinder sitting on the front seat, into the inlet manifold and adjusted the mixture with the valve on the cylinder. Got them back.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 09/17/13 at 04:21:57

Some native kids made up an old jalopy. They didn't have a radiator for it, so they strapped a 40 gal barrel on the back and pumped the water through the engine onto the ground. They would get low on water and fill up the barrel with lake water, and off they'd go.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:24:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dead Alternator.....I can fix it!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.