Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Pulley Cover (Sprocket Cover) bolts (Read 125 times)
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Engine Pulley Cover (Sprocket Cover) bolts
09/15/13 at 19:46:38

I'll be starting a new thread shortly for the other bolts that I'm gonna (not) be having fun with, but for now, lets start with the Engine Pulley Cover (or Sprocket Cover) bolts.

1998 Suzuki LS650P

Thanks to losing one of the seat bolts while working on the bike, and having the lost bolt fall down into the belt area of the bike (apparently caught in the belt, moved around somewhat while rocking the bike gently, but not loosened enough to fall to the ground until I had taken the bike out for a ride Sad ) my dad, my nephew, and I spent some time taking off the engine pulley cover (or sprocket cover as it may be called by some).

All of the bolts for same had some washers on the back side (pulley side), and the bottom bolt for same seemed to have a rubber cover ( bushing? ) around same.  I'd like to make sure that it was put back together as it should have been, and if necessary, well, I'd like to replace the rubber piece that was on the bottom bolt as that rubber piece was worn pretty badly from age.

Any recommendations on finding the part I need for that?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Engine Pulley Cover (Sprocket Cover) bolts
Reply #1 - 09/16/13 at 05:32:07

If don't have a Clymers manual.....get one.

If you need to see how the parts go together....or what part you need to order......use an online parts diagram.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Su...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/16/13 at 07:16:20

Thanks to losing one of the seat bolts while working on the bike, and having the lost bolt fall down into the belt area of the bike (apparently caught in the belt, moved around somewhat while rocking the bike gently, but not loosened enough to fall to the ground until I had taken the bike out for a ride Sad )

So, you dropped a bolt. It wasnt on the floor, & it had to fall past the belt, & you wobbled the bike, but didnt use your fingers & Check on top of the belt? Didnt put it in neutral & Gently roll it to see if "something" bound up? YOu otta check that belt closely.. Id expect a Bolt Length Hole in \it.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 09/16/13 at 07:44:00

Like the military does, the plane don't fly till ALL the hardware is found and ALL the tools are accounted for, never know what loose stuff can get into and damage causing for tons of time and money to fix.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 09/16/13 at 08:51:37

Bike Bandit, Suzuki dealer or the forum classifieds. Once I save up for a weld on hardtail and a chain conversion, mine will be available, but that will be awhile.

Tuck your jeans into your boots, leave the cover off for now. I'll pull some measurements off mine and see if I can find a work around for your bike.

You DO wear proper motorcycle boots w/o laces, right?  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #5 - 09/16/13 at 10:27:40

Dave wrote on 09/16/13 at 05:32:07:
If don't have a Clymers manual.....get one.

If you need to see how the parts go together....or what part you need to order......use an online parts diagram.

http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Su...

I have been looking for the online parts diagram, the problem becomes figuring out what the part is supposed to be called, or what group it is supposed to be with, etc.

Once I know what area to look for, yup, happy to go find it.

As it turns out, I have a service manual that is pretty darned thorough, and yet, well, it doesn't necessarily point directly at pieces like Engine Pulley Cover and tell you what it is called.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 09/16/13 at 10:55:59

http://www.bikebandit.com/1998-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147778#sch234701

26, 27, 28, 29 if the pieces are chewed up, order 3 of number 29, that is the funny little steel and rubber washer.

Should get you close anyway.

They are not cheap...  Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #7 - 09/16/13 at 11:19:06

Thanks WD.  I found the parts list from the reference that Dave posted and made a shopping list from same.  I'll probably go with ordering from Motosports.com as I have a discount code to use there compliments of earlier orders.  Every little bit of savings helps.

Actually, looking over the bolts that my nephew and I had removed, they all probably could use replacing any way since the spacers were missing from at least 2 of the bolts.

IP Logged
ghryx
YaBB Newbies

argh.

Reply #8 - 11/06/20 at 14:07:12

Hi all,
So, I'm -this- close to being done with my cafe build, down to some final re-assembly of parts that have been off the bike for about a year.

To wit - the sprocket cover has three bolts and three bushings, all of different lengths that I -had- taped into each hole so I wouldn't loose them, but the above-mentioned tape lost it's sticky over time and when I picked the cover up everything fell out.  

So, I can't figure out which bolt goes in which hole with which bushing.  I also apparently am missing some outer cushions which I'm pretty sure weren't there when I took it off.

I've found the OEM diagram, but it doesn't show me which bolt for which hole, just lists 'em.  (see here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/1999/savage-ls650p/crankc... ). Parts 21, 22, 23  and 26, 27, 28.

I also checked the Clymer, and it doesn't say either.  Anyone know what the magic combination is?  Are the bushings -supposed- to protrude beyond the inside of the cover bolt holes?  I are confused.  Tongue

IP Logged
ghryx
YaBB Newbies

argh.

Reply #9 - 11/06/20 at 14:09:22

Oh jeezlouise.

Ignore previous post, I didn't see the bottom half of the OEM diagram.  Duh.
Carry  on. Nothing to see here...  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:13:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Pulley Cover (Sprocket Cover) bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.