Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got bored with TV last night (Read 184 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Got bored with TV last night
Reply #15 - 09/17/13 at 05:49:49

pg wrote on 09/16/13 at 15:51:28:
Don't forget inflation.  Gas is $3.50 a gallon for the cheap stuff and mild was $4.13 a gallon as well.

The "devaluation of money " IS inflation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/17/13 at 19:22:35

WeHAVE No Money,, we have currency,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #17 - 09/17/13 at 20:17:31

Pine wrote on 09/17/13 at 05:49:49:
Don't forget inflation.  Gas is $3.50 a gallon for the cheap stuff and mild was $4.13 a gallon as well.

I was trying to strengthen your argument.  Please refer to the previous post: "devaluation of wealth."  I consider their to be a difference between wealth & money.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #18 - 09/17/13 at 20:36:42

There have been two well intentioned tax changes of major significance
The inheritance tax trigger point was moved way up "to protect our struggling farmers" who were "land rich but money poor"; and secondly, in the land of innovation and make it on your own pull yourself up by your bootstraps, earned income (reported on W-2 and 1099 etc) is taxed at higher rates than capital gains ( you risked your money but didn't work at whatever the company did to earn money).  The surprising uptake is that all the wealthy pass on a much greater percent of their wealth to their offspring with reduced taxes AND, those that have the money to risk  (that is don't spend all their money on clothes, food, shelter and transportation but have some or lots left over to invest) pay a lower percent on their gains after taking out the losses (you know, like workers take out their commuting and uniform expenses)ho ho ho.

That's also the great internal redistribution of wealth (yeah, why are the republicans complaining??) and the second redistribution of wealth  is from Europe and the US to the middle east oil countries which helps fund all those happy jihadist. It dwarfs the redistribution of wealth to Asia as Asia becomes a manufacturing/tech center.  That will, however, become the third great redistribution of wealth. It is a wonderful world.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #19 - 09/18/13 at 06:24:32

pg wrote on 09/17/13 at 20:17:31:
Pine wrote on 09/17/13 at 05:49:49:

I was trying to strengthen your argument.  Please refer to the previous post: "devaluation of wealth."  I consider their to be a difference between wealth & money.

Ahh missed that..  Cool

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/18/13 at 06:32:29

I read this today and remembered this thread......

Give Back? Yes, It's Time For The 99% To Give Back To The 1%

Harry Binswanger

It’s time to gore another collectivist sacred cow. This time it’s the popular idea that the successful are obliged to “give back to the community.” That oft-heard claim assumes that the wealth of high-earners is taken away from “the community.” And beneath that lies the perverted Marxist notion that wealth is accumulated by “exploiting” people, not by creating value–as if Henry Ford was not necessary for Fords to roll off the (non-existent) assembly lines and Steve Jobs was not necessary for iPhones and iPads to spring into existence.

Let’s begin by stripping away the collectivism. “The community” never gave anyone anything. The “community,” the “society,” the “nation” is just a number of interacting individuals, not a mystical entity floating in a cloud above them. And when some individual person–a parent, a teacher, a customer–”gives” something to someone else, it is not an act of charity, but a trade for value received in return.

It was from love–not charity–that your mother fed you, bought clothes for you, paid for your education, gave you presents on your birthday. It was for value received that your teachers worked day in and day out to instruct you. In commercial transactions, customers buy a product not to provide alms to the business, but because they want the product or service–want it for their own personal benefit and enjoyment. And most of the time they get it, which is why they choose to continue patronizing the same businesses.

All proper human interactions are win-win; that’s why the parties decide to engage in them. It’s not the Henry Fords and Steve Jobs who exploit people. It’s the Al Capones and Bernie Madoffs. Voluntary trade, without force or fraud, is the exchange of value for value, to mutual benefit. In trade, both parties gain.

Each particular individual in the community who contributed to a man’s rise to wealth was paid at the time–either materially or, as in the case of parents and friends, spiritually. There is no debt to discharge. There is nothing to give back, because there was nothing taken away.

Well, maybe there is–in the other direction. The shoe is on the other foot. It is “the community” that should give back to the wealth-creators. It turns out that the 99% get far more benefit from the 1% than vice-versa. Ayn Rand developed the idea of “the pyramid of ability,” which John Galt sets forth in Atlas Shrugged:

“When you live in a rational society, where men are free to trade, you receive an incalculable bonus: the material value of your work is determined not only by your effort, but by the effort of the best productive minds who exist in the world around you.

When you work in a modern factory, you are paid, not only for your labor, but for all the productive genius which has made that factory possible: for the work of the industrialist who built it, for the work of the investor who saved the money to risk on the untried and the new, for the work of the engineer who designed the machines of which you are pushing the levers, for the work of the inventor who created the product which you spend your time on making . . .

In proportion to the mental energy he spent, the man who creates a new invention receives but a small percentage of his value in terms of material payment, no matter what fortune he makes, no matter what millions he earns. But the man who works as a janitor in the factory producing that invention, receives an enormous payment in proportion to the mental effort that his job requires of him. And the same is true of all men between, on all levels of ambition and ability. The man at the top of the intellectual pyramid contributes the most to all those below him, but gets nothing except his material payment, receiving no intellectual bonus from others to add to the value of his time. The man at the bottom who, left to himself, would starve in his hopeless ineptitude, contributes nothing to those above him, but receives the bonus of all of their brains. Such is the nature of the ‘competition’ between the strong and the weak of the intellect. Such is the pattern of ‘exploitation’ for which you have darned the strong.

For their enormous contributions to our standard of living, the high-earners should be thanked and publicly honored. We are in their debt.

Here’s a modest proposal. Anyone who earns a million dollars or more should be exempt from all income taxes. Yes, it’s too little. And the real issue is not financial, but moral. So to augment the tax-exemption, in an annual public ceremony, the year’s top earner should be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Imagine the effect on our culture, particularly on the young, if the kind of fame and adulation bathing Lady Gaga attached to the more notable achievements of say, Warren Buffett. Or if the moral praise showered on Mother Teresa went to someone like Lloyd Blankfein, who, in guiding Goldman Sachs toward billions in profits, has done infinitely more for mankind. (Since profit is the market value of the product minus the market value of factors used, profit represents the value created.)

Instead, we live in a culture where Goldman Sachs is smeared as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity.” That’s for the sin of successful investing, channeling savings to their most productive uses, instead of wasting them on government boondoggles like Solyndra and bridges to nowhere.

There is indeed a vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity: the Internal Revenue Service. And, at a deeper level, it is the monstrous perversion of justice that makes the IRS possible: an envy-ridden moral code that darns success, profit, and earning money in voluntary exchange.

An end must be put to the inhuman practice of draining the productive to subsidize the unproductive. An end must be put to the primordial notion that one’s life belongs to the tribe, to “the community,” and that the superlative wealth-creators must do penance for the sin of creating value.

And Ayn Rand is just the lady who can do it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 09/18/13 at 06:44:33

nstead, we live in a culture where Goldman Sachs is smeared as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity.” That’s for the sin of successful investing, channeling savings to their most productive uses, instead of wasting them on government boondoggles like Solyndra and bridges to nowhere.

Goldman Sachs is rightly labeled  as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity.
Crony Capitalism,, legalized theft..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #22 - 09/18/13 at 07:12:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/13 at 06:44:33:
nstead, we live in a culture where Goldman Sachs is smeared as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity.” That’s for the sin of successful investing, channeling savings to their most productive uses, instead of wasting them on government boondoggles like Solyndra and bridges to nowhere.

Goldman Sachs is rightly labeled  as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity.
Crony Capitalism,, legalized theft..

Agreed... the idea that its not a sin to be wealthy .. I agree with!. But the example of Sachs as an innocent and fair trader??? silly.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #23 - 09/18/13 at 15:15:13

Henry Ford and Steve Jobs deserved everything they made. They created products that revolutionalised the world and made it better. Goldman Sachs lie, stole and cheated to get what they have, stealing money out of our pockets.Their upper management should be in prison. They have created or produced nothing useful. The last two idiot presidents should never have bailed them out along with several other firms. Our idiotic government bailed criminals out and handed us the bill. If someone invent's produces, manufactures something that will revolutionalise the world like solar and wind power that will work! I have no problem with them not paying taxes. They've made the world a better cleaner place. Wall St firms are crooks and bullsh!tters and should be left to drown in their own sh!t. Capitaliisation is more about stealing now than creating and producing and making the world a better place When a company like Apple or Ford makes the community a better place we give back by purchasing their product.

« Last Edit: 09/18/13 at 16:16:41 by Midnightrider »  

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 09/18/13 at 16:03:31

Well,, Webster,, seems like youre in the minority in your appreciation for Goldman Sux.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #25 - 09/18/13 at 16:23:46

Webster if you believe so strong in capitalism believe in someone like Henry Ford or Steve Jobs who made the world a better place. Banking firms take a great percentage more than they give, you should know that. I wish you good health from now on and forever but if you ever have to make a credit card payment late because of piled up medical bills you'll find out who you're really worshiping.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 09/19/13 at 05:33:37

A little clarification is in order:
I'm not some huge Ann Ryn fan. I do think her ideas have some merit. I just thought the article fit this thread. Took me 10 years to read that darn Atlas book! Started it several times but my God that woman takes 20 sentences to make a single point.....

I'm not a "fan" of Goldman, I just doubt they are some evil monster you make them out to be. I don't think "rich" cheat any more or less often than the average person does. Obviously their pocketbook is about a million (billion times) bigger than mine.

I just saw some article the silly Obama phone giveaway is loaded with fraud. Other than scale, what makes some dude ripping off Uncle Sam to get a free cell any different than some Goldman execut ripping off UncleSam?

I am fortunately not"blessed" with the class warfare gene that seems to run rampant on here.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/19/13 at 05:48:44

Webster if you believe so strong in capitalism believe in someone like Henry Ford or Steve Jobs who made the world a better place. Banking firms take a great percentage more than they give, you should know that. I wish you good health from now on and forever but if you ever have to make a credit card payment late because of piled up medical bills you'll find out who you're really worshiping.

If you think investment bankers didn't make the world a better place, you might want to rethink that. You think your heroes Jobs and Ford didn't need banks to "make the world a better place"?

Who made more; Jobs and Ford or the early investors?

And I'm more than a little offended over the worshipping comment. I don't worship money or people. I just know the lifestyle I have, and the rest of the world has for the most part, is due to US capitalism. Honestly man, get rid of your rich guy hatred. Let it go.
I'm glad you don't wish ill will on me (but you say that so often I'm beginning to doubt your sincerity) but If I end up in a bad financial spot, it's my fault, isn't it? Who else could I blame at this point?

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #28 - 10/01/13 at 02:38:44

Web things happen beyond your control and you could be wiped out overnight. You could blame it on the government if the Chinese copy your product and export it over here at a cheaper price. Its not your fault. I don't know if anyone works for you but it would do away their jobs also and its the goverments fault. We cant be chained to a post and put to work when we're 8 years old and there's no way we can compete because our patents are no good over there. We should never have started trading with the Chinese.They mistreat workers, women and children and its wrong. Ifwere're supposed to be the worlds keeper why are we importing their products when they're being made under terrible inhuman conditions..We are the largest wheat and corn producer in the world. Why cant we raise the price of our food we export to the middle east when they raise the price of oil. That's only fair and good business. Or better yet start minding our own dam business and screw the rest of the world. I wish you and everyone on this forum good health but I'll quit if it offends you. It's 5 in the morning and I'm hurting so bad I cant sleep. Havent been to bed and I hope something like that never happens to you but like I said before if you're offended I'll stop. Have a good day and God bless you some more.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 06:06:25

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Got bored with TV last night

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.