Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Got bored with TV last night (Read 184 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Got bored with TV last night
09/12/13 at 11:17:38

so my second fav diversion is "TED Talks" ... mostly brainiacs talking about the latest idea or such.  I ended up watching this video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/chrystia_freeland_the_rise_of_the_new_global_super_r...

Its all about how the 1% now owns a larger piece of the pie ( 20%)... as I listened I felt that her overall picture was not correct... or not complete.
So her complaint was that if you drew a circle and said that's all the wealth in the USA and that 1% own 20%.. which is up from 1% owning 10% .. and that they are growing the fastest.. paying the least taxes.... blah blah blah... it just sounds awful.. and yeah I am jealous... unless your in the 1%.. then you probably are too... BUT.. then I got to thinking.. lets look at ONE example and really look at what happened..

So draw you a circle.. and mark off 20%. Now from within that circle pretend or draw... little arrows going from outside that 20% ( but within the circle) to in the 20%.. that's whats she's talking about. The circle is static and as the 20% grows the.. the 80% shrinks. HOW HORRIBLE!!!!
But is that what happened?? This fellow that created Facebook... he is in the 1% easy. But did YOU pay for Facebook? how much money has HIS wealth cost you?

So try this draw a circle... then draw another circle BUT make it 20% bigger... Now give that 20% to the 1%... now draw all the arrows from those that LOST money due to the "shrinking" 80%.. IF you did it right.. ZERO arrows. The 1% CREATED a bigger pie... they did not take from the pie that was. Do I really want laws to STOP/impeded the growth of the pie.. because the growth is not equitable? NO! As long as the pie grew, and I did not loose... then I do not want laws that stop growth.

Now to be sure... not all of the 1% consist of those that "grew the pie", I would say for sure that Mitt Romney.. and his business... redistributed the  wealth of corps they acquired and then sunk. This was repeated many times over by many "wall street sharks" of the 80's. Further, banks, and Wall Street itself, seems to "inflate" the pie and claim the "growth" for themselves. They then sell that "growth" until it goes poof... as it never was based on anything anyway.  

In the end, its all over my head and beyond my control. Would it be nice if the Middle class existed? Sure? Does it look like a return of the "bad ole days" when we really did have have and have nots.. kinda does. But the worst part is not just the decline of buying power... its the all out loss of moral fiber, the dog eat dog, get in there and kill for what you "need" attitude. Wheres that deserted island when you need it?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Got bored with TV last night
Reply #1 - 09/12/13 at 11:52:21

It's not over your head at all Pine. You are spot on.

Total available wealth is not a fixed amount. If it were, all we would have is what the first settlers brought with them. Wealth grows and expands. It's like eating a piece of pie and when you turn, around the remaining pie is larger than it was before. The Facebook guy did not take 10 billion dollars out of the pie, he expanded the pie by a 100 billion.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/12/13 at 12:01:02

Now to be sure... not all of the 1% consist of those that "grew the pie", I would say for sure that Mitt Romney.. and his business... redistributed the  wealth of corps they acquired and then sunk. This was repeated many times over by many "wall street sharks" of the 80's. Further, banks, and Wall Street itself, seems to "inflate" the pie and claim the "growth" for themselves. They then sell that "growth" until it goes poof... as it never was based on anything anyway.  

You're so close to "getting it", don't go backwards. Romney's  firm HAS to create wealth, or it fails! Investment bankers grow the pie, take their cut and move on. They don't do anything different than you or I do when we buy a motorcycle from someone who needs the money, fix it up, and sell it for a profit. Don't fall into the class warfare trap. As was pointed out over and over, Romney bought out Staples before it went out of business, turned it around and sold it. Today, thousands have jobs, Romney made money and the pie is bigger than it would have been if Romney had left it alone. Staples was a "junky motorcycle" that someone who knew what they were doing was going to have to risk their money to see if they could get it running and sell it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/13/13 at 09:24:30

It's nice and simple to think of this 20% as a balloon, that expands in all directions,... but it isn't...
It's more a pile,.. and those with the bulldozer shovel it in the direction that puts you further away from it, and them closer to it...

Not only have the rich gotten richer... the poor and middle class have gotten poorer...
If minimum wage were at 1960's rates,... it would be over $16hr....
... and when Romney bought dying businesses, and filed/declared them bankrupt,... it took away the retirements and benefits from 1,000's of long time employees, and flushed them... he also got government bailout money to bring them back...(That was your money)...(that is your debt)...

Instead of a balloon intersecting the pie,... draw a shotgun blast firing 20% of everything away from the pie...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/13/13 at 10:59:26

I worked with a guy whose wife had 18 or 19 years with theTexas unemployment office. They renamed it. Her pension  went away,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/13/13 at 11:13:34

That's some great sleight of hand.

--Steve

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/13/13 at 11:21:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/13/13 at 10:59:26:
I worked with a guy whose wife had 18 or 19 years with theTexas unemployment office. They renamed it. Her pension  went away,.,

Let's rename the congress and the senate... no more pension for them either.

WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/13/13 at 13:05:46

It's nice and simple to think of this 20% as a balloon, that expands in all directions,... but it isn't...
It's more a pile,.. and those with the bulldozer shovel it in the direction that puts you further away from it, and them closer to it...

"Bitter, party of one, your table's ready; Bitter, party of one, your table's ready"

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 09/13/13 at 15:42:29

WebsterMark wrote on 09/13/13 at 13:05:46:
"Bitter, party of one, your table's ready; Bitter, party of one, your table's ready"

..and when they take away your pension,.. You'll still be kissin' their ass?... Huh..

You're one of those,.. "everything's okay until it happens to you"... types...

It's not bitter to be angry when your life's work is taken away...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/13/13 at 18:34:31

Micro vs macro. The pie IS bigger, that's not an arguable point. Capitalism has worked "macro-wise" extremely we'll. there are always individual cases of misfortune. I would argue we have more cases like this because people have been taught to trust government rather than taking more responsibility for themselves and their families.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/14/13 at 17:08:36

verslagen1 wrote on 09/13/13 at 11:21:55:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/13/13 at 10:59:26:

Let's rename the congress and the senate... no more pension for them either.

I renamed them years ago.. Somehow I just dont see them goin along with chosen name for them.,,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/14/13 at 17:11:49

WebsterMark wrote on 09/13/13 at 18:34:31:
Micro vs macro. The pie IS bigger, that's not an arguable point. Capitalism has worked "macro-wise" extremely we'll. there are always individual cases of misfortune. I would argue we have more cases like this because people have been taught to trust government rather than taking more responsibility for themselves and their families.

Well,, couple that with Nafta, the engineered deindustrialization of america & the destruction of our schools engineered also with crony capitalism & criminal banksters, yea, the average schmuck is Takin a POUNDIN,,

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 09/16/13 at 08:35:15

I rather like how this thread turned out!!!

Another idea ...

So lets say that the bulk of the new 20% that the 1% control is mostly "pie growth" ie they are not taking from the 99%, but it is new wealth that is now not evenly spread. Now devalue ALL the wealth... it would be similar to shrinking the pie,, but the pie doesn't shrink.. it just takes more wealth to buy the same stuff. The devalued wealth is REAL, it is a form of taxation, and it goes to the federal government for re-distribution. This is where I think the middle class has really lost. Its not that we don't make more money, its that the money we make either we cant keep or it purchases less. But The rich didn't do it to us... the government did. But it looks like the rich did better because they simply have so much more.  

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 09/16/13 at 15:51:28

Don't forget inflation.  Gas is $3.50 a gallon for the cheap stuff and mild was $4.13 a gallon as well.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/16/13 at 17:01:57

I can buy a gallon of gas for a quarter& Get CHANGE Back!

You see,, our Currency is losing value.. MONEY is holding on,,

Using the latest metal prices and the specifications above, these are the numbers required to calculate melt value:

$21.78        =      silver price / ounce on Sep 16, 2013.
.90        =      silver %
$3.2026        =      copper price / pound on Sep 16, 2013.
.10        =      copper %
6.25        =      total weight in grams
.0321507466        =      ounce/gram conversion factor
.00220462262        =      pound/gram conversion factor (see note directly below)

The CME uses pounds to price copper and that means we need to multiply the metal price by .00220462262 to make the conversion to grams. The silver price is based in troy ounces and that means we need to multiply the metal price by .0321507466 to make the conversion to grams.

1. Calculate 90% silver value :

(21.78 × .0321507466 × 6.25 × .90)  =  $3.9388683428

$3.9388 is the rounded silver value for the 1932-1964 silver quarter on September 16, 2013. This is usually the value used by coin dealers when selling these coins at melt value. However, the total melt value is continued below.

2. Calculate 10% copper value :

(3.2026 × .00220462262 × 6.25 × .10)  =  $0.0044127

3. Add the two together :

$3.9388683428 + $0.0044127 = $3.9432810428

$3.9432810428 is the total melt value for the 1932-1964 silver quarter on September 16, 2013.

Silver Coin Calculator        ← Calculate coin worth using your own quantity and silver price values.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 05:27:30

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Got bored with TV last night

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.