Send Topic Print
Welder question (Read 81 times)
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Welder question
09/11/13 at 19:49:35

Hey everyone! I'm interested in buying a welder and after doing some research I figured I'd ask the opinion of the handy men on here. I'm leaning more towards a mig welder with a gas hook up. I'm not sure what else. I'm always making small brackets with my little 90amp flux core harbor fright welder but I'm tired of messing up good sheet metal. I'm looking for a good welder around $400 that will stick 3/8s steel together reliably. Any suggestions?  Plus I'd like to weld up some solid struts for the savage and drop it a few inchs.

image_108.jpg

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Welder question
Reply #1 - 09/11/13 at 20:16:44

IMO, MIgs are for lighter stuff.. Wanna weld 3/8ths, get a stick welder..
YMMV

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 09/12/13 at 05:09:02

MIGs are easier to use, faster, and more precise for smaller stuff like brackets and sheet metal,.. plus you never have to chip away slag.  

You CAN weld really thick stuff with a MIG,.. you just have to make more than one pass.  Have the butt joint hollowed a bit with a V cross section, and fill in the V with multiple passes.

If you are mainly going to do heavy duty-stuff like bridges and cranes and bulldozers, then a huge stick welder is good.  I have a 295 amp stick welder that works well for large welds.  The neighborhood lights flicker when I use that thing for heavy stuff.  I kept trying to find ways to weld small stuff with it,... I even bought one of those vibrating stitch welder doohickies,.. but I was never skillful enough top make it work reliably.

http://ts3.explicit.bing.net/th?id=H.5005068238783618&pid=15.1

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4589727745837519&pid=15.1

Apparently the stitch welder attachment was not all that good, because you can't find them for sale anywhere now.  Eastwood and Harbor Freight used to sell them, but not anymore.

Anyway,.. for home use, I'd get a Lincoln or Hobart or Miller, etc., MIG set up of about 180 amps.  You'll need a 220v source for it, but those units can do really small stuff like sheet metal and little brackets,.. and can be cranked up to do fairly heavy stuff.... and no slag.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #3 - 09/12/13 at 05:24:36

Thanks, I just can't afford the heavy price of a miller or linclon. I think they're asking about 1500 for that model

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/12/13 at 05:49:07

Lucaisrussell wrote on 09/12/13 at 05:24:36:
Thanks, I just can't afford the heavy price of a miller or linclon. I think they're asking about 1500 for that model

If you shop around you might be able to find a good used Miller or Lincoln.  I had a friend that passed away and I bought his Miller 250 for $ 600, and sold my Millermatic 35 for $ 225.  It was lightly used and worked great.......there just isn't a huge market for a 25 year old welder even though it was like new.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 09/12/13 at 05:51:59

Don't forget to take duty cycle into account. If you will be welding a lot of thicker pieces, then you will want a welder with a higher duty cycle. Duty cycle is figured on how much you can weld in 10 minutes. Example: 20% duty cycle - you can weld for two minutes and must let the welder cool for 8 minutes, 60% duty cycle - weld for 6 minutes and let welder cool for 4 minutes.

I have a small Hobart (Miller) 120V mig welder that I use. It is designed for 1/4 material but can weld thicker material just fine with proper prep work.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 09/12/13 at 08:19:40

Hobart that can run flux or solid/gas, 115 volt? Hit up Tractor Supply, they carry them sometimes.

I've got a late 1990s Campbell Hausfeld 115 flux core that needs a bit of minor tinkering and it will be back in service. Can't remember if the Hobart we have is a flux only or an either way... It's never been used. I robbed the gloves and chipping hammer out of the box and put the machine back in storage as a back up unit.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:31:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Welder question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.