Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Google is "processor agnostic" (Read 47 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Google is "processor agnostic"
09/11/13 at 14:18:04

Now that is a heck of a thing to say, agnostic.    What it simply means is Google doesn't care if it is RISC or CISC or ARM or Intel -- Google runs on it all the same way.   Exactly the same, as a matter of fact.

Furthermore, as soon as Intel has made themselves a better, more energy efficient x86 processor in the Haswell laptop processor line to be even more specific -- Google has instantly put them into the new Chromebook for this Christmas.   Google uses Intel when it makes sense to do so.

It will be interesting to see if Bay Trail tablet/phone processor gets good enough to beat out Qualcomm and Samsung to get into next year's Google Nexus Tablets and phones.

Google likes whatever makes stuff run better and longer -- and they are certainly not a total fan-boy of any single processor type.

Also please note that the new Chromebooks look a whole lot like a standard Linux Distro now, with hard drives, desktops, locally kept programs and the entire range of normal laptop type stuff.  

Sure, relatively everything is kept on Google's servers still, but some programs are locally loaded on the machine as well and data is locally mirrored so that you can work off line or present off line if you need to.

Also, acceptance of Chrome in the business world is slowly increasing as the IT Dept learns how easy it is to keep up with Chrome devices (ie effortless).   Schools and Universities are learning the same thing, Chrome is cheap and easy to implement and easy to upkeep inside the chaos of the college environment.

MS will not do the same things that Chrome OS can do .... and as "Office" becomes more easily carried out using various non-office softwares then MS's home advantage is slowly becoming diluted.

Harsh statement time -- Google "Chrome OS" and Enhanced Chrome Browser on various other OS platforms covers more types of hardware and more operating systems than MS by a very large factor now.  

Since Google now supplies free "office" with every sort of system (file read write and all) one wonders why more schools and colleges are still paying large MS taxes & fees every semester for each crop of new students.

Since a professor can't tell if it was a Google shared doc effort saved as .docx file or an individually created .docx file from MS Office once it hits the email server on Turn It In.com -- what difference does it really make?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Google is "processor agnostic"
Reply #1 - 09/11/13 at 15:10:49

1ag·nos·tic noun \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\ : a person who does not have a definite belief about whether God exists or not

Which I would infer you to mean... Google doesn't know if CPU's exist.
I believe the term you're looking for is universal... as in...

A community that calls itself universalist may emphasize the universal principles of most religions and accept other religions in an inclusive manner, believing in a universal reconciliation between humanity and the divine.

as in... Google doesn't know which CPU to worship.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Google is "processor agnostic"
Reply #2 - 09/11/13 at 19:36:22

More like they (Google) don't really care which processor or OS you choose to use, Google Chrome & Chrome OS is still there operating in the same fashion as the other places you see Google Chrome & OS used.

One would be tempted to think Google would be "open source" fanatics, but indeed they are not really any sort of fanatic.   You would think they would push their OS, but they really don't try to push it at all.

Other than slowly making it better, that's all the push it ever gets.  

If you run the Extended Chrome Browser on ANY OS you get most of the benefits of the full Chrome OS now days (if you will sign up for drive space and the other services and agree to mirror your Chrome Browser on their servers you even get a large degree of protection against data loss as well).

Google seems to be slowly taking over computerdom by osmosis, slowly getting folks to willingly sign up to be supported by their server farms and cloud based number crunching.   Young people especially (got no bucks to spend, free is good) seem to fall into their camp very willingly .....

Kids use Google to share homework workloads (do it on Google and everybody can kick in work on the same document at the same time).   College kids use Google a lot too on group project work (it is required in many classes to CO-OPERATE instead of compete to get a good grade).

We older people don't understand this as we were raised to be self-sufficent and very competitive by nature.   To us a PC means "personal computer", it's mine, keep your mitts off my machine.  

Sharing creating your homework would be "cheating" to us .... but not to today's young folks -- cooperating makes sense to them.

Huh

I use an Android phone and I use Google servers all the time.   If I lose my wifi signal and lots of the things I normally do will flash me a message "unable to contact Google at this time" when I do things I think are being handled on the phone itself only to find that a server processor has been doing it all along.

Some of the issues with rolling out modern full Android phones to the rest of the world is the background services that Android requires to have done off the phone at their local server farms.

First, the full bore Android phone costs too much for the third world person to afford.  

Second, the cell phone service speed they can afford isn't fast enough to "google" without laggy gaps in some Android internal functions.  

Third, you need local server farms working in the native language to make it all work right -- and that backup service level simply isn't there in many places.

Mozilla's Firefox seems to have been built to address these functional third world issues ... and some of its popularity stems from the nasty pitfalls it simply avoids falling into.

Firefox OS may seem somewhat simplistic to us, but everything it has works 100% reliably all the time in Calcutta and in Buenos Ares and in Timbuktu.   And the phones are FAST and cheap to buy, with very affordable 3g type data plans to match up with the hardware.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:22:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Google is "processor agnostic"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.