Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Too much of a good thing? (Read 201 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Too much of a good thing?
09/11/13 at 06:49:41

So basically it hasn't really rained here in nearly 3 weeks. ( to be sure there has been a few spot showers). This means I have been riding the bike to work each weekday for going on three weeks, Its been GREAT!

I have put 10X the miles on the bike as I have on the truck.. which is a HUGE gas savings... and means less miles/wear on the truck.

But dang... my elbows and knees hurt when I get up in the morning. The streets..though improved some about a month ago.. still beat the heck out of me. I actually thought about driving the truck in this morn (but dismissed it).

Now of course locally, it is getting real bad for lack of rain. Crops are doing OK, but only because we had good soakers early on now the lack or rain has been good for getting out there and harvesting. But yards, ponds (catfish), pastures (cows) and grass fires are all becoming a concern.

Looks like I am good to ride every day this week.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Too much of a good thing?
Reply #1 - 09/11/13 at 07:16:34

Lakes/ponds down,, trees looking bad, Ill lose some..
Antsare desperate for water/cover,, heading into the house,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/11/13 at 08:44:32

Pine wrote on 09/11/13 at 06:49:41:
But dang... my elbows and knees hurt when I get up in the morning. The streets..though improved some about a month ago.. still beat the heck out of me. I actually thought about driving the truck in this morn (but dismissed it).   

Have you done a rear shock upgrade yet?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 09/11/13 at 10:30:58

Will the shock  upgrade  help JOG's ants get to the house better?? Cheesy

JOG, we had much more water this Summer and I've had more ants in the house than usual.  ApparANTly they are fussy critters. Embarrassed

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 09/11/13 at 10:39:53

I have been using the Ortho Home Defense stuff around the house edges and inside also. All the rain we were having last month was driving a lot of bugs inside, the home defense stuff helped tons.

I have been riding a lot lately also, the last couple weeks has been really nice, but the road construction on highway 98 has been increasing and with my back hurting it really sux even in the truck or car let alone riding the bikes. But the gas saving is helping out...we have been to two movies in the last two weeks! Haven't done that for awhile  Grin

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #5 - 09/13/13 at 11:10:31

I found a set of 412's on ebay used for $170 shipped. So shock upgrade on the way.

I took the day off from riding the bike... I missed it and am back on today. Though we have a 20% chance of afternoon showers.

I keep getting more and more invested in this bike.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/13/13 at 11:19:14

Ah,.. so this is where the rain, shocks, and pesticide post is...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 09/19/13 at 13:46:57

Pine wrote on 09/13/13 at 11:10:31:
I found a set of 412's on ebay used for $170 shipped. So shock upgrade on the way.

I took the day off from riding the bike... I missed it and am back on today. Though we have a 20% chance of afternoon showers.

I keep getting more and more invested in this bike.

quoting myself.. how sad is that....

Shocks came in ... I just installed them. Took less time than to chew a stick of gum.. er I am still chewing that stick actually.

The new ones were the 11.5" so the seat has come up a tich'. Just waiting to cool off before I check it out.

I used the bumper mount towing dolly to lock the front tire, then just used a floor jack to raise up the rear tire. When the old one came off, the tire swung down to be the PERFECT size the for the new shocks. They simply slid into place. Kinda scary easy... something has to go wrong somewhere???

I ordered the tool to adjust  the spring preload.. should be in in a few days. Then I can dial her in.

Before ( original shocks and tires)

After new shocks and tires:

Holding the front tire still:

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 09/19/13 at 16:43:04

Where did ya get that hitch? and does it work good on long distances?

Heh, also noticed in the middle pic. you have an engine guard, which one is that?

LOL, i'm getting closer to getting my own savage and looking at all sorts of stuff for it. Besides the wife kinda likes the idea with the hitch cause she could put a small one on her car.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 09/19/13 at 16:55:48

old_rider wrote on 09/19/13 at 16:43:04:
Where did ya get that hitch? and does it work good on long distances?

Heh, also noticed in the middle pic. you have an engine guard, which one is that?

LOL, i'm getting closer to getting my own savage and looking at all sorts of stuff for it. Besides the wife kinda likes the idea with the hitch cause she could put a small one on her car.

Thats something I found on the web, it works great fo what it is. I can load it alone, no ramps, stores in a tiny spot. I used it to tow the bike about 40 miles, worked fine. I dont think I would use for interstate as I did not remove the belt. But for the money its a good deal.

The engine guard is the stock Suzuki unit that I bought off here.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 09/19/13 at 20:36:15

And the rear tire is one of my spares. Don't think they make that model anymore, too bad, as they really gripped the road well. Have one left, need to install it on my bike, but I'd prefer a 130/90 to that 140/90, even with the taller shocks I run.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 09/19/13 at 20:42:01

That seat looks really comfortable.  Is that marine grade vinyl?

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 09/20/13 at 04:54:33

pg wrote on 09/19/13 at 20:42:01:
That seat looks really comfortable.  Is that marine grade vinyl?  

YES.. nice eye... I know the local guy that does boat seats/interiors. Thats all he does... and my bike.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 09/20/13 at 19:45:07

Just a lucky guess, or I might have read it somewhere.  When I get a couple of extra bucks I am interested in covering over my old saddle.  Is that guy in Jack's Town?  Ball park, how much am I looking at?  Thanks and best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #14 - 09/22/13 at 06:11:51

pg wrote on 09/20/13 at 19:45:07:
Just a lucky guess, or I might have read it somewhere.  When I get a couple of extra bucks I am interested in covering over my old saddle.  Is that guy in Jack's Town?  Ball park, how much am I looking at?  Thanks and best regards.

Yes, out at the 'Rez. Bob's something I forget, but I can gwt you the contact info. Not sure he will charge you what he charged me, but should be well under $200... I want to say $150. He's an old lush, but skilled as heck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:20:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Too much of a good thing?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.