babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
What's the solution?
09/10/13 at 06:55:57

I'm not big into politics and I usually don't comment much in this arena, but all this talk about Syria has made me do some extra thinking.  
Even with the relatively small amount of folks that post on this board, we see very diverse opinions.  Some to more extremes than others.  Take this group as a small sampling, and how is a nation so divided supposed to work toward anything?  I don't see any "common" goals anymore to even work toward.  To me, it seems the only thing we could do is everyone move closer to meeting in the middle.  Logical?  Yea... but we have so many who are so far out, that I don't see their views ever changing, or even giving any consideration to compromise.  
So the majority decides, right?.  That's why we vote, right?  But then we have a ruler who says "well, I disagree with the majority, so I'm gonna do it my way anyway".....      

Where do we go from here?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: What's the solution?
Reply #1 - 09/10/13 at 08:36:06

I think you are correct in your analysis... In fact your just a day behind in your post... Look at this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378588325

Now, Star has STRONGLY butted heads with other here, yet.. we are all in pretty much in agreement within this thread.

Sadly, the thread points to a very BIG problem - media and the powers that be ( no matter what side of the fence) have a vested interest in keeping the public
1: divided
2: pre-occupied

Remember news (if ever there was an honest source) is now long gone. Replaced completely by the need to attain and keep ratings. Drama makes ratings. I know for a fact... ( at least in my state) that government keeps a tight lid on news reporting. Its very slick... and very sickening.

Powerful entities like banking, unions, oil- have all long ago bought influence in both parties enough to no longer fear for any laws to ever touch them.

As to what can be done. I think it is a process.. it is small now, and very weak.. but it does exist and it scares the living hell out of the two parties. Knowledge... and communication. That is growing now. Unfortunately... it may be that "we" (john q public) are still way behind curve. For even as we learn what is being done, and evolve ways to get around it... the powers are not sitting idle by, instead they are making sure that we can't "do" anything about it. Outlawing pubic meetings, protests, and the like. And of course... making anyone that even discusses such issues a "terrorist" which can now be made to "disappear".

Welcome to larger scary place. Come in and look around,,, read the differing points... ponder them..

then ask yourself... what will I tell my child/grandchild that I did while this was occurring.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/10/13 at 09:11:52

Crack a beer and watch the fireworks.
"We the people" have been removed from democracy.

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing.
Those who count the votes decide everything."

--Steve

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/10/13 at 10:05:00

I think it's the extremism of political talk... for TV/Radio ratings...
Every issue is blown up to be the end of everything...
There is no realistic discussion any more...

Pics of Stalin are a good example...  
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #4 - 09/10/13 at 10:46:35

And yet here we are moving in the direction of Stalin. Remember the old addage about history and being doomed to repeat it? This is why gridlock in governement can be a good thing, it prevents radicals from either side from hijacking the country, usually. More gridlock could have saved us from the looming Obaamcare debacle that is now upon us.

I do think that one part of the equation is that Americans have been trained to be more narcissistic, in that they are focused more on the self than on community or family. Since everyone is an individual, it is very difficult to build concensus among such a populace, that is why empy promises work soo well. Speak to the greed and they will vote for you.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/10/13 at 11:01:36

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/10/13 at 11:02:25

“History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.” ― Mark Twain

--Steve

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 09/10/13 at 18:55:21

Pine, I guess it was that thread that got me to thinking. I even posted in it. Maybe I shouldn't have started another thread though. But I don't really blame the media.  I don't really know what I blame.

skip this thread and reply on the one linked above.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #8 - 09/11/13 at 10:24:40

Go ahead and blame the media. You're headed down the right path

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/11/13 at 17:00:00

Serowbot wrote on 09/10/13 at 10:05:00:
I think it's the extremism of political talk... for TV/Radio ratings...
Every issue is blown up to be the end of everything...
There is no realistic discussion any more...

Pics of Stalin are a good example...  
Huh...

+1

it's all for the drama, drama = ratings, rational discussions are just too boring

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/11/13 at 17:19:12

Just putting a face to the quote. Doesn't devalue the meaning.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 04:05:11

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › What's the solution?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.