babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Hearing protection?
09/09/13 at 16:12:59

Was watching a hunting show and saw these and thought "that would be nice to use riding the bike too"... So I looked at the website.  http://www.wildear.com/

Wow, so they are quite pricey!! And that's putting it mildly!  But what do you think of the idea?  And do you ride with any hearing protection?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Hearing protection?
Reply #1 - 09/09/13 at 16:58:10

They look like noise cancelling earplugs? Might be a good thing. When I'm leaving town on the bike, I always use industrial earplugs. Shorty lid is too noisy without, and being deaf is not cool.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/09/13 at 17:24:02

For $1,000 I'll follow behind you and yell at you... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 09/09/13 at 17:41:04

I have been using earplugs for over twenty years when I ride. And when I mow the grass or run a chainsaw, too. I also use either electronic earmuffs or earplugs when I shoot, depending on whether I am alone or need to hear range commands. You only get issued one set of ears. I wish I had started using hearing protection a lot sooner. I kind of pity the young kids with earbuds turned up so loud I can hear them over the idling engine of the school bus when they get on.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/09/13 at 18:29:47

I've always just worn the disposable foam earplugs. They keep the wind noise down to a comfortable level without keeping me from hearing horns, sirens etc. Spend a few bucks on a handful of them before getting anything more expensive. They might be all you need.

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #5 - 09/09/13 at 22:31:53

babyhog,

I work as a sound engineer, and in reference to those electronic ones you posted that started this thread, those plugs would be useful, to a point. while motorcycles can get to 100db or more depending on how you ride what you would be hearing after the dampening would be the upper whine( the annoying part ) of the motor. The compression curve takes out the lower register, but also most male and about a third of most female voice pitches. depending on the mode of course depends on how much you hear. Amusingly it would prevent hearing the backfire..... if you have one due to its auto compression. but that takes batteries. Stick to orange foamys they reduce sound levels more evenly but cut out the higher frequency severely, it makes talking sound funny but you still hear your bike better.

I use these http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html when im mixing concerts and such, i haven't ridden with plugs because i ride with a full helmet but i bet they would work very well.

Just a graph to show you the frequency level shift to compare it to the expensive ones. (also a place to get custom ear plugs for musicians with an even reduction)

http://www.hear-more.com/musician.htm

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/09/13 at 23:25:27

I have those musician earplugs... you definitely don't want to pull a helmet on yer' head with those...
...(they have a pokey tube sticking out that will not accept a helmet... yeeouch!)...

Most of the noise you get on a bike,.. is wind...
More specifically... it's the noise of wind bouncing off yer' chest, and blowing upward...

Wear a scarf, if the temperature allows... it will cut wind noise by half...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 09/10/13 at 02:53:27

I wear ear plugs when I ride, and mow, and shoot, and do many other things.  Like Charon said, I wish I had started much sooner.  But now damage has been done to my hearing and there is no getting it back.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:24:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hearing protection?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.