Battery died? (Read 79 times)
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Battery died?
09/09/13 at 10:07:52

Hi to all!
Last three days I was having a hard time to fire up my bike. I would shake it let and right, front and back, switch fuel petcock from ON to Res (and back), pull the choke back and forth... And danced too... And cursed, of course... Smiley
And it will on. After that it works and fire without problems.

Somehow I got an impression that switching petcock to reserve helps because last week the engine would turn off while riding. Several times in few days. And somehow I had a feeling the bike is so "weak"? But when switch to reserve everything is ok. At least never shuts off. (Yes, I had more than half tank of gas Smiley )

Last night we had Bike night and when decided to go home after 4-5 hours spending with friends, I had AGAIN hard time to turn my bike on. And 3 guys around me immediately said the battery is bad?!? When I put the key into bike and turn light comes on, signals are there and when ignite I'll hear it's "trying". I hear it's trying. But they said it's there is not enough power?!?

Does it make a sense? How to (quick) test the battery?

My bike is 2006 S40 and I bought it 4 months ago. No idea how old is the battery. I was riding the bike almost every day (already a little bit over 3,000 miles). Means the battery was charged every day while riding.

I would appreciate for anything...

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Battery died?
Reply #1 - 09/09/13 at 14:19:09

It sounds like you might have two separate problems. One: a faulty petcock. Two: a weak battery.

First try this. Fill up your gas tank all the way. Turn the lever on the petcock to the PRIME position. Try to start the bike. If it starts, go for a ride and see if it runs ok. If it does run ok then read this:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

There is no way to properly test a battery without a load tester so if you can take it somewhere that has one - motorcycle shop, auto repair shop, even a lot of auto parts places - do that.

If you can't do that at least take the battery out of the battery box and check the water level, then charge it with a suitable charger - one that can be set for a charge rate of no more than about 2 AMPS.

If the battery in your bike is the original it's 7 years old and probably just about at the end of it's useful life. It's not uncommon for a battery in a Savage to have just enough juice in it to operate the starter for a little while ,but not enough to fire the spark plug.I replaced the battery in my bike(also a 2006) about six months ago for exactly that reason.

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #2 - 09/09/13 at 18:30:57

Bummer! Right after I bought wet cell WPS battery at the local bike store I found this post http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298579303  Angry
I just started with charging for next 10 hrs.  :'(

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/10/13 at 09:21:59

Afan wrote on 09/09/13 at 18:30:57:
Bummer! Right after I bought wet cell WPS battery at the local bike store I found this post http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298579303  Angry
I just started with charging for next 10 hrs.  :'(

If you hae to charge your battery each time you want to go riding....your battery is probably toast....or your charging system is not working properly and is not charging your battery as you ride.

Put the new battery in the bike......chances are you need it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #4 - 09/10/13 at 13:45:12

Dave wrote on 09/10/13 at 09:21:59:
If you hae to charge your battery each time you want to go riding....your battery is probably toast....or your charging system is not working properly and is not charging your battery as you ride.

Put the new battery in the bike......chances are you need it.

I bought new one yesterday. Already poured acid in it and charged. I'm gonna install it on my bike today after work.

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #5 - 09/10/13 at 19:16:31

Any good (video) tutorial how to replace the battery?
I believe it's simple task, not complicated. But I would like to see steps before I start.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/10/13 at 19:50:51

I don't know where to find a video - maybe someone else can provide a link to one - but keep this in mind...

When you disconnect the old battery take the NEGATIVE cable off the battery terminal first, then take off the POSITIVE cable.

When you hook up the new battery put the POSITIVE cable on first, NEGATIVE cable on last.

That way , if you accidentaly touch the frame with the screwdriver - you wont cause a spark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 18:41:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery died?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.