Send Topic Print
Bobber? (Read 333 times)
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Bobber?
09/08/13 at 22:49:00

I was never a fan of the bobber look in the past. But seeing some pictures on this site and looking on YouTube, I'm kinda liking it a little bit. I'd like to venture out and try it but have no clue where to start.

Saw the "Blue Collar Bobber" site and the prices are hefty. But they seem to offer everything, including DVD for someone like me who needs step by step directions.

So how hard is it convert this bike? Keep in mind, I'm not very good with mechanical stuff.  Embarrassed

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bobber?
Reply #1 - 09/08/13 at 23:10:06

"Bobbing" is minimalist...  Getting rid of what ain't the heart of the beast...

Start by losing some things... (this part is free)...
Dump the chrome head covers,... dump the belt guard,... smaller (Harley shorty) muffler... dump chrome sissy's, pillion, windshield, saddlebags... chrome doo-dads...
Take all those stickers off yer' bike...
Then,.. the biggies,... (more work and cost)...  smaller rear fender...  smaller seat (ouch)...
... optional... lower the rear of the bike with shorter rear shocks.. (this is more fashion than weight saving)....
Remove the front fender... (you will get wet)...

My bobber is a scrambler... it have minimal weight, but I won't give up comfort... so I added taller shocks and cushioned the seat...

study the bobbers, and see what appeals... all stages are optional...
Just do what you find appealing...
Wink Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - 09/08/13 at 23:32:34

Serowbot wrote on 09/08/13 at 23:10:06:
"Bobbing" is minimalist...  Getting rid of what ain't the heart of the beast...

Start by losing some things... (this part is free)...
Dump the chrome head covers,... dump the belt guard,... smaller (Harley shorty) muffler... dump chrome sissy's, pillion, windshield, saddlebags... chrome doo-dads...
Take all those stickers off yer' bike...
Then,.. the biggies,... (more work and cost)...  smaller rear fender...  smaller seat (ouch)...
... optional... lower the rear of the bike with shorter rear shocks.. (this is more fashion than weight saving)....
Remove the front fender... (you will get wet)...

My bobber is a scrambler... it have minimal weight, but I won't give up comfort... so I added taller shocks and cushioned the seat...

study the bobbers, and see what appeals... all stages are optional...
Just do what you find appealing...
Wink Wink...

Thanks! Ill do the free ones first lol where are you finding the parts for your projects? I've only seen the bluecollarbobber.com

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #3 - 09/08/13 at 23:35:18

All I'm going for is smaller rear fender, smaller seat, license plate, and changing out the lights. Maybe later move onto the handle bar and mirrors..

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 09/09/13 at 00:11:54

I think the Suzuki stock 650 is one of the best looking bikes on the market. (except for that stupid looking sissy bar and pad) Before you bob it, remember your taking a cruiser and turning into a around town bike good for only  short day trips. Forget about taking it camping or rides that last more than a few hours. No more windshields or bags to store stuff in. No more taking the wife or girlfriend or buddy on a ride with you.  To each their own I guess. Maybe if you were to hang it on a wall as art then it would be OK but when you start removing belt guards and items like removing and shortening fenders that are designed for safety  and to keep you dry in case your caught in a rain  storm then that is foolish. The mechanic at the dealer I bought my bike at told me the chrome head covers are there for a reason. To keep rain from accumulating in the spark plug hole and stalling the bike at freeway speeds. Like I said tho, to each their own

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/09/13 at 00:30:32

stinger wrote on 09/09/13 at 00:11:54:
The mechanic at the dealer I bought my bike at told me the chrome head covers are there for a reason. To keep rain from accumulating in the spark plug hole and stalling the bike at freeway speeds. Like I said tho, to each their own

Was he wearing a clown hat when he said that?... Grin...

... or maybe it's a bucket to collect that rainwater...???... Grin...

It's a bit of shiny chrome, to make people buy a bike... Tongue...

Stinger... am I right? or am I right...  ... Huh...

...(PSST... if it's for shooing rain, why is it chrome, and why is it on both sides?)...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 09/09/13 at 03:19:19

I've got a stainless steel XS650 rear fender section I'm not going to use. Clearing out a bunch of extra parts, so... quick and cheap way to get an easy to mount rear fender. I've also got a cast aluminum light and plate bracket, old Brit stuff I don't need. You would need to order a Lucas tail light for it. PM me if you want them.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #7 - 09/09/13 at 08:46:05

stinger wrote on 09/09/13 at 00:11:54:
I think the Suzuki stock 650 is one of the best looking bikes on the market. (except for that stupid looking sissy bar and pad) Before you bob it, remember your taking a cruiser and turning into a around town bike good for only  short day trips. Forget about taking it camping or rides that last more than a few hours. No more windshields or bags to store stuff in. No more taking the wife or girlfriend or buddy on a ride with you.  To each their own I guess. Maybe if you were to hang it on a wall as art then it would be OK but when you start removing belt guards and items like removing and shortening fenders that are designed for safety  and to keep you dry in case your caught in a rain  storm then that is foolish. The mechanic at the dealer I bought my bike at told me the chrome head covers are there for a reason. To keep rain from accumulating in the spark plug hole and stalling the bike at freeway speeds. Like I said tho, to each their own

Thanks for your insight! Good to get a different prospective on things.  I will not be doing any long riding, it's just to and from work - 25 mins.  We have our cars to do family things.. the savage is just for me  Grin but I'll def think about it!

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #8 - 09/09/13 at 08:48:00

WD wrote on 09/09/13 at 03:19:19:
I've got a stainless steel XS650 rear fender section I'm not going to use. Clearing out a bunch of extra parts, so... quick and cheap way to get an easy to mount rear fender. I've also got a cast aluminum light and plate bracket, old Brit stuff I don't need. You would need to order a Lucas tail light for it. PM me if you want them.

PM SENT

IP Logged
busterboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, Ga.
Reply #9 - 09/09/13 at 12:19:21

I used the BCB kit and was very pleased with the quality of the products and the DVD.

2012-07-26_08_41_06.jpg
  IP Logged
busterboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, Ga.
Reply #10 - 09/09/13 at 12:20:43

The bars are not BCB, they are from Paughco and the mirrors are Arlen Ness

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #11 - 09/09/13 at 13:13:57

busterboy wrote on 09/09/13 at 12:19:21:
I used the BCB kit and was very pleased with the quality of the products and the DVD.

Looks purdy nice.. how hard was the job?

IP Logged
busterboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, Ga.
Reply #12 - 09/09/13 at 13:29:02

Wasnt bad at all, I did most of it over one weekend.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/09/13 at 14:58:05

I'm 3/4 of the way through bobbing my savage having never played with bikes before and I'm a computer geek.

Being in NZ I couldn't afford the full BCB kit. I bought some stuff off them; the drag bars, a plain seat (no brackets) and mirrors.

They make it really easy for you and if you were to get their whole kit and follow their instructions then it would be walk in the park. It's designed for you to be able to do it with minimal spanner knowledge.

That said, there are certainly areas where they have done things a certain  way to make it easy, but that is not necessarily the best way. For me that is the way the seat mounts; I think it's too high and the way they do the rear fender makes it easy to install but limits your tyre to a 140/80 size.

I mounted my seat straight onto the frame (the rear has shocks I don't think you need a sprung seat) and I made my own rear fender & mounts.
Bought mini turn-signals off ebay for cheap. Lots of matte black paint Cheesy

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 09/09/13 at 15:54:27

ylwf3vr wrote on 09/09/13 at 08:48:00:
WD wrote on 09/09/13 at 03:19:19:

PM SENT

Never arrived.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:23:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bobber?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.