Send Topic Print
battery won't fit (Read 106 times)
Radbrad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

battery won't fit
09/08/13 at 14:07:30

Last week, I replaced my battery with a sealed lead acid battery (high cap mot batt)  The new battery is too high (hits the battery bracket on the top).  I sent for a different brand battery (Adventure battery) with a slightly lower hight, still the battery is too high.  I might go with the lithium battery which is a lot smaller.  Has anybody had this battery fit problem?  I'm trying to stay away with the vented battery.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: battery won't fit
Reply #1 - 09/08/13 at 14:14:11

Radbrad wrote on 09/08/13 at 14:07:30:
Last week, I replaced my battery with a sealed lead acid battery (high cap mot batt)  The new battery is too high (hits the battery bracket on the top).  I sent for a different brand battery (Adventure battery) with a slightly lower hight, still the battery is too high.  I might go with the lithium battery which is a lot smaller.  Has anybody had this battery fit problem?  I'm trying to stay away with the vented battery.

I really like the lithium batteries.  They are way smaller and lighter, and hold their charge for-frickin-ever.

The brand I like is EarthX because they have onboard circuitry to keep the cells balanced.  Without that circuitry, (as with shorai or ballistic) you are supposed to use one of their proprietary battery chargers periodically to keep the cells balanced.  With EarthX you can use any ol' charger built for lead-acid batteries.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 09/08/13 at 14:33:53

If there is a BatteriesPlus store near you, their XTA14AHL-BS battery will fit. It's an AGM battery with no external vent. About seventy bucks. Free replacement if it fails within 12 months. Mine is about six months old right now. No issues so far.

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #3 - 09/08/13 at 15:28:55

The replacement battery misfit problem is well known.  One solution is to "enlarge" the stock box with a few scientifically placed hammer blows:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338085856/0

IP Logged
Radbrad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/08/13 at 20:02:21

thanks for the replies and the link, it looks like others had problems with the battery replacement fit.  I'm wasting money on return postage and I won't get full refund because I scratched the top of one of the batteries.  And the vendor said guarantee fit.  BS Angry

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #5 - 09/09/13 at 06:08:46

timely thread....battery has to be charged every time i want to ride.  3rd owner so no clue if it was replaced before ('05).  probably was....but would prefer a sealed battery or maybe a smaller one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/09/13 at 07:07:46

Take any questionable battery to an auto parts store to be tested,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 09/09/13 at 08:33:05

This height issue has been noted before.   Some have "jacked up" the battery box to accomodate the new height, the bent sheet metal "brace" portion across the top cover being the main item that has to move a small amount.

I can state that at least one person was impatent and simply jacked it up with a crow bar resting on a block of wood.  Not very technically proficent, that, but the battery went in and since the battery never moves until they are dead that was good enough for him.

So, it has been noted before that sealed batteries bought through the internet are often a smidge too tall and "something" must be done to get them into the battery box.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Radbrad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/09/13 at 20:18:10

Thanks for the inputs; I did not thoroughly check this owner’s website about battery fit issues when I ordered the sealed battery.  I was working with Impact Battery about this issue; they will refund me for the 2 batteries that I bought from them (except 85 percent credit on one battery that I scratched up).  I ended up ordering a lithium ion battery from them and they gave me a huge discount on it.  They will also note on their site that there is issues with the sealed battery fit on the LS650.  They were very helpful and expedient.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 06:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › battery won't fit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.