Shift points (Read 247 times)
Jen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island, NY/Central PA
Shift points
09/08/13 at 08:18:36

I recently got a copy of the manual for my '06 S40. The recommended shift points seem a bit strange-
1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph

It says to downshift from 5th to 4th at 19 mph. That seems so off.

Thoughts? Are you really in fifth at 31mph?!? And stay in 5th all the way from 30 mph to top speed?!?

Thanks guys Smiley

2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40, 2006 Sportster XL1200 L
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Shift points
Reply #1 - 09/08/13 at 08:30:17

Those shift points are designed for max fuel efficiency, so the manufacturer can gain points with the EPA. The manufacturer can average these figures over all vehicles they manufacture to submit to the EPA.
The bike will tell you when to shift up or down after you get used to it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 09/08/13 at 08:44:11

Jen, ever ridden on the back of one? Have you listened to the engine when the driver shifted? That's what you should learn to do, listen to the engine for shift points. Art is telling you true.... the book will tell you to shift sooner than the norm, and you won't be "breaking the bike" by shifting at higher rpms, just don't gun it till it screams then shift, THAT would be bad.

I have told many a rider its a bad habit to look at your rpm or speed when you shift, it takes your attention off your surroundings and your eyes off the road in front of you.

I almost never look down, only to make sure i'm not over the speed limit, most times i'm just keeping up with or slightly behind traffic.

If you are learning to ride, yes, you might have to look to learn the sound pattern and when to shift, but do it in light traffic if you can, or in a large parking lot (took my wife to walmart after 8pm and on weekends real early.

Hope this helps... Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Jen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/08/13 at 08:56:57

Thanks. I've been shifting based on listening to the bike and was concerned because my shift points don't match up to the manual. I get out of first pretty fast, maybe at 12-15 mph and am in second to around 25 mph, shift to third and stay there until 45 or 50 which is as fast as I've gone for like a few seconds. My max speed has really been 40 mph. I'm new!! Smiley

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 09/08/13 at 09:15:04

Sounds like you got the hang of it just fine. Smiley

You will find once you get into fourth that you can run it all the way to 70-ish till you might have to shift again, I've hardly ever used fifth gear here with the speed limits at 55mph.

I did however use fifth gear on the interstate when traveling to north Carolina and back. Fourth to fifth didn't make much of a difference, just enough to take the rpms down a little.

Keep practicin' ! and take an MSF course if you can, if not to learn better habits, it can bring down your insurance. In some states they give discounts for MSF and advanced MSF courses.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Jen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/08/13 at 09:56:28

I took the MSF class and got my license (to drive 12 mph in a parking lot).  We didnt learn how to shift or stop except for emergency stops.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/08/13 at 10:36:17

Hard to say you got a decent class,, Thats  pitiful

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/08/13 at 19:42:18

The class was great for what it was. The instructors were fantastic.  They really shouldhave a class that focuses on street riding.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 09/08/13 at 19:53:56

They do, just not through MSF.

Shift points? My bike has been without a speedometer for, hmm... a long time. 1st gear steady cruise is roughly 15, 2nd is roughly 25, 3rd is roughly 35-40, anything above that use 4th and stay at the surrounding/leading traffic speed. Have not gotten a ticket yet, excessive speed or mechanical violation. Tank got destroyed in 2005, replaced in early 2006.

5th is basically useless. Forget you have it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 09/10/13 at 21:59:59

I don't understand what's wrong with fifth gear. Fifty miles an hour and over I'm in fifth and find I still have lots of power. I can easily pass a car that's going 55 in fifth without even downshifting. When I crank the throttle, I can go from legal highway speed to 70 to 85 miles per hour like greased lightening and then ease off the throttle after I've passed. Of course, I usually don't have to accelerate this rapidly for basic passing, but the bike is certainly capable of such rapid acceleration in fifth gear. Just my experience. How do you guys tend to ride this great bike?

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 09/11/13 at 00:25:12

Isn't it incredible?...
Suzuki paid somebody with a calculator and probably some kind of degree,.. to come up with those numbers?...

1-15mph....
2- 20mph...
3- 30mph...
4- 40mph...
5- 50mph...

Suzuki?... you owe me triple what you paid the that other guy...
I don't have a degree,.. but I have been certified...
...clinically...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/11/13 at 04:25:35

Rembrandt wrote on 09/10/13 at 21:59:59:
I don't understand what's wrong with fifth gear. Fifty miles an hour and over I'm in fifth and find I still have lots of power. I can easily pass a car that's going 55 in fifth without even downshifting. When I crank the throttle, I can go from legal highway speed to 70 to 85 miles per hour like greased lightening and then ease off the throttle after I've passed. Of course, I usually don't have to accelerate this rapidly for basic passing, but the bike is certainly capable of such rapid acceleration in fifth gear. Just my experience. How do you guys tend to ride this great bike?

Well,, sometimes Ride it nice & easy, sometimes ride it like something mean & scary is chasing me, Sometimes use a clutch.. sometimes not. Pinning its ears back & running thru the gears was just a part of nearly every ride/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #12 - 09/11/13 at 20:03:20

Jen wrote on 09/08/13 at 08:56:57:
Thanks. I've been shifting based on listening to the bike and was concerned because my shift points don't match up to the manual. I get out of first pretty fast, maybe at 12-15 mph and am in second to around 25 mph, shift to third and stay there until 45 or 50 which is as fast as I've gone for like a few seconds. My max speed has really been 40 mph. I'm new!! Smiley

Jen you've got a better grip on this than many other riders. Just keep on like you are and you'll be fine!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #13 - 09/11/13 at 20:07:23

Rembrandt wrote on 09/10/13 at 21:59:59:

To paraphrase an old saying.....I ride it like I stole it! No, I don't wring it out to redline all the time but I twist it up and get up to cruising speed before most riders are getting out of 2nd gear. To me there are only two speeds.....stopped...and "GONE"

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/12/13 at 07:41:16

To me there are only two speeds.....stopped...and "GONE"

Well said Zar. I putt along when driving a car but, once on the bike, I have whatever the wrist equivalent is to a lead foot. I wonder if there is a name for that.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 06:29:04