Send Topic Print
I'm lost (Read 199 times)
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
I'm lost
09/07/13 at 14:19:29

I'm kind of lost here in the tuning process and I'm hoping one of you studs could help me out. I put on the 38 mm mikuni with UFO, and a glass pack muffler. the carb is giving me some issues and I think the bike can run way better then how it is judging off of what others have said. I baught the carb off amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GZM6X8  and I'm currently running a 230 main jet with the piolet soldered shut. I've got very poor taking off power and high end. 4th gets me faster than 5th and I'm 100% sure I've got no intake leaks.  Oh, and I'm still running lean with the 230. The bike wasn't running previously to these mods so I can't compare off the old carb. I baught the mikuni bases off lancers forum and I'm pretty sure my amazon carb has all the correct components. Also my needle is on the 2nd ring from the top. Any help would be great thanks fellas

image_103.jpg

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: I'm lost
Reply #1 - 09/07/13 at 18:20:16

Going to non-stock carb... is a booger...
Maybe Lancer can help...

Why is the pilot soldered shut?...  That ain't gonna' work... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/07/13 at 19:14:30

Quote:
pilot soldered shut
that's the way lancer sets up the VM too.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #3 - 09/07/13 at 21:34:27

Sweet bobber! Love to help but i know nada about the VM carb. I'll be interested to hear how her performance is when u get it going.

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #4 - 09/08/13 at 07:25:19

I think the absence of a pilot jet is killing me so today I will free it up and see what happens. I also installed a dial a jet from thunder products to maybe make up for the absence of the pilot jet but just recently uninstalled it and I'm not seeing any major Proformance difference. Thanks for the compliment on my bike I call it the love muscle haha.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 09/09/13 at 06:58:31

I'm still tuning my VM38, but it was a pain in the ass getting the pilot circuit even semi-reliable.

230 sounds pretty big for a main, I'd start closer to a 190 for tuning, and don't neglect the needle. the needle was the key for turning my bike from completely nasty to smooth sailing. main jet is "only" good for WOT (not 100% true) so I'd worry about that last.

I'd try dropping the needle clip down one or two with your current soldered pilot jet and see what that does for you. I'm a fan of messing with the needle because it has the advantage of being free and instant (no buying jets and waiting for them to come in).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #6 - 09/09/13 at 09:28:26

Noted. I've been avoiding messing with the needle to much cause its such a pain getting to it with the UFO n my home made throttle cable.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/09/13 at 09:38:20

The slide cutaway, needle taper, needle jet choices for a 2 stroke vs. a 4 stroke engine are often very different.  Then you add a Flow Optimizer and a Dial a Jet.....and you are in uncharted territory.  Combine that with a 38mm which maybe just a tad big for a stock engine with stock piston, cam and header......and you have made it even harder.

Do you know what needle, needle jet, and slide you have in your carb?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262724030

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 09/09/13 at 09:59:56

Lucaisrussell wrote on 09/09/13 at 09:28:26:
Noted. I've been avoiding messing with the needle to much cause its such a pain getting to it with the UFO n my home made throttle cable.

It was a pain for me, too, until I found I could get to the needle without removing the throttle cable or spring. I unscrewed the top of the carb, pulled the slide out (with the spring and needle in it), then compressed the spring with the cable still threaded to it, and put it outside the slide. The needle was then exposed and easy enough to get to, without the hassle of messing with the spring and throttle cable.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:21:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm lost

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.