Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Social Security a handout? (Read 67 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Is Social Security a handout?
09/06/13 at 20:06:31

Pay attention to your next Social Security check or electronic deposit.Security income, whether you get a check or an electronic deposit....note what it is now called...see below.. Have you noticed, your Social Security check is now referred to as a "Federal Benefit Payment"? I'll be part of the one percent to forward this. I am forwarding it because it touches a nerve in me, and I hope it will in you. Please keep passing it on until everyone in our country has read it. The government is now referring to our Social Security checks as a “Federal Benefit Payment.”This isn’t a benefit – its earned income! Not only did we all contribute to Social Security but our employers did too.It totaled 15% of our income before taxes.If you averaged $30K per year over your working life, that's close to $180,000 invested in Social Security.If you calculate the future value of your monthly investment in social security ($375/month, including both you and your employer’s contributions) at a meager 1% interest rate compounded monthly, after 40 years of working you'd have more than $1.3+ million dollars saved! This is your personal investment.Upon retirement, if you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $39,318 per year, or $3,277 per month. That’s almost three times more than today’s average Social Security benefit of $1,230 per month, according to the Social Security Administration (Google it - it’s a fact).

And your retirement fund would last more than 33 years (until you're 98 if you retire at age 65)! I can only imagine how much better most average-income people could live in retirement if our government had just invested our money in low-risk interest-earning accounts.Instead, the folks in Washington pulled off a bigger Ponzi scheme than Bernie Madoff ever did.They took our money and used it elsewhere. They “forgot” that it was OUR money they were taking. They didn’t have a referendum to ask us if we wanted to lend the money to them. And they didn’t pay interest on the debt they assumed. And recently, they’ve told us that the money won’t support us for very much longer. But is it our fault they misused our investments? And now, to add insult to injury, they’re calling it a “benefit,” as if we never worked to earn every penny of it. Just because they “borrowed” the money, doesn't mean that our investments were a charity!
by anonymous

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: Is Social Security a handout?
Reply #1 - 09/07/13 at 15:05:31

100% correct Midnight. This term “benefit” is just one more tactic to get people to accept more cuts in SS and other social programs. Look at how they got people to believe that we don’t and don’t need healthcare.

Always plenty of money for wars financed with the “people’s” money. While they screw the people out of their money.

Isn't it stunning just how un-important our dreaded DEFICIT has become lately, when war is a possibility?

But don't worry, it will be of paramount importance again, once we get back to discussing healthcare, Social Security, Public Education, or anything that benefits those un-important "Little folks" who comprise most of the American People. Remember the GOP Convention with the National Debt Clock in the background? The MIC Welfare Queens only have a problem with debt when the money is used on American citizens who really need it.

We can always pay for another war which will only benefit the MIC. We have been lied into every war I can remember, and the MIC has made a fortune but we can't fix our roads and bridges? Nope, no money for frivolous things like that.

What is it? Like in 5 weeks we run out of money again and they get to start their games again on cut this, cut that. But darnn, we can afford a hot new intervention in another country. It's disgusting.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 09/07/13 at 15:50:05

Any chickenhawk from either party that supports sticking our nation's nose where it doesn't belong... should have theirs chopped off, preferably at the C4/C5 junction...

At the same time, anybody who doesn't support welfare to work, mandatory (temporary) sterilization while on the dole, mandatory drug testing while on welfare... ought to have their heads examined, preferably under a scanning electron microscope, one cell layer at a time.

Social programs were supposed to be a hand up, not a hand out. The monies spent to reward ignorance, sloth, greed and indifference could be put to much better uses. ANY able bodied adult under retirement age that isn't employed or actively seeking employment, needs to be tossed in chains and put to work on litter crews, culvert cleaning/repair crews, loaned out to farmers to chop weeds and glean the fields after mechanical harvest.

Notice I said ANY, sh!t comes in many shades...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #3 - 09/07/13 at 19:03:50

Mandatory (temporary) sterilization while on the dole?

Mandatory drug testing while on welfare?

Heads examined, preferably under a scanning electron microscope, one cell layer at a time.

ANY able bodied adult under retirement age that isn't employed or actively seeking employment, needs to be tossed in chains and put to work on litter crews.

Holy Crap! Talk about about someone who wants a more iron-fisted draconian government reduction of and restrictions on the rights and freedoms of American citizens!

Why do you wish the government to control our lives? Why do you hate our freedoms??

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/08/13 at 07:02:45

Dang WD,, Im aware of fraud, but DAAANG! What about those who arent commiting fraud? Are they guilty till  proven innocent?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 09/08/13 at 08:11:35

You're misreading/interpreting... instead of the current system of more babies for more benefits, people need to understand the concept of "can't feed them, don't breed them". Children who come into existence solely as the spawn of junkies, alcoholics and lazy bipedal trash seeking more "free money" are just another part of the ongoing (and accelerating) downward spiral of American society. Most end up in the same rut as the previous generation/s.

I've lot count of the number of small stores in poor neighborhoods that will let benefits recipients buy alcohol and tobacco with food stamps, and I can't count the amount of dealers in the poor sections of town on welfare check day, there are that many of them...

If "you" are so lazy or "too proud"that you feel that living on welfare is better than manning up and getting a job to support your family... Then half your day will be spent cleaning up the mess, improving infrastructure, or harvesting what would otherwise be wasted. The rest of the day, you will be schooled, trained at something meaningful, or interviewing for a real job.

The country can't afford to keep going down the path it is on. Financially, morally or socially.

Welfare has nothing to do with personal liberty. If you are following the guidelines given when you start drawing them, and use them the way they were intended, as a hand up to get back on your feet, you'll be fine. If you are one of the all too common welfare cheats, then getting caught needs to have severe consequences.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/08/13 at 08:22:38

If you are one of the all too common welfare cheats, then getting caught needs to have severe consequences.

Im down with that

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/09/13 at 06:19:09

I actually heard a very reasonable argument for welfare. Reasonable to me.

I had heard of, and support:
Tighter restrictions on WIC cards, excluding cigs and alcohol. Limit it to bread, milk, cheese, meat, 25 lb bag of rice, etc. Essentials.

Mandatory community service (picking up trash on the highway, etc.) to earn your welfare check.

New ideas introduced to me:
Government housing comparable to military barracks.

The best one... You're not allowed to vote. Politicians can't pander to the lowest common denominator so it prevents any conflicts of interest.

You want to change any of these conditions? Get a job.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/09/13 at 06:59:48

Yea, well,, Get a JOB sounds good,, BUT,, we now have a BUnch of people who Want jobs,, but cant find one,,Dont expect that to get better.
Be carefulk what you say, it may just hurt you or someone you  love

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/09/13 at 09:17:41

My girlfriend has been unemployed since January. I've declared this on this site before.
She has received 48 rejection letters/calls/emails.

I've been in Stop and Shop behind people with those obvious grey WIC cards and I see what they purchase.
Also discussed on this site previously the only things I purchase are lettuce and protein (either tuna, chicken, a roast for the crock pot) because we get all out veggies from her parent's garden. Her mother just got into canning. We've had home made spaghetti sauce over home grown spaghetti squash.

I see how these animals live too. I've been meaning to take pictures for here but I never slow down enough. Maybe I will.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 09/09/13 at 12:45:43

Well baaaack to the OP... nice post.

I'm not sure that changing the name means much (federal benefit). Its certainly a federal liability.

One things for sure... Washington certainly has its head up its collective a$$.

PS: I had not heard any of the ideas about what foods can/cant be bought.. though I would agree with limits. It could be done very easy now with everything having a UPC.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 06:36:02

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Is Social Security a handout?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.