Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone own a bug? (Read 223 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Anyone own a bug?
09/06/13 at 11:11:52

So I'm thinking of getting a old vw bug to drive through the rainy/snowy season. Anyone have experience with them? What should I be looking for? What should I look to avoid?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Anyone own a bug?
Reply #1 - 09/06/13 at 11:18:50

I think a little front wheel drive would be better... and you'd have a real heater...
A bug heater is no better than a lukewarm coffee...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #2 - 09/06/13 at 11:22:10

I've always heard about the bug heaters being pathetic. Then I thought...

"I ride a motorcycle at 70 with no windshield and only a couple degrees above freezing, in the rain."

And suddenly even a pathetic heater sounded like a slice of heaven.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/06/13 at 11:22:49

It'll be a very tiny slice...  Grin Grin Grin...

See if you can find an old Geo Metro... (they were made in Canada)...
40mpg,... front wheel drive,... and a good heater...
Best car I've ever owned... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 09/06/13 at 11:27:50

Serowbot wrote on 09/06/13 at 11:18:50:
I think a little front wheel drive would be better... and you'd have a real heater...
A bug heater is no better than a lukewarm coffee...

A buddy back in the 1970's had one I drove a lot. That "heater" was about like sitting on a block of ice. At least on the old Triumph I had your legs got some heat off the engine!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 09/06/13 at 11:32:34

Serowbot wrote on 09/06/13 at 11:22:49:
It'll be a very tiny slice...  Grin Grin Grin...

See if you can find an old Geo Metro... (they were made in Canada)...
40mpg,... front wheel drive,... and a good heater...
Best car I've ever owned... Wink...

"Best car I've ever owned"???? Shocked

Dang Sero  Huh ....I kinda feel a lettle sorry for ya bub! That'd be like saying Rosie O'Donnell was the best - - - - - you've ever had Embarrassed

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 09/06/13 at 11:34:53

Always wanted one, but never found "the" one for me.  Either too expensive or more work than I wanna do.  Mother-in-law's boyfriend has one (72 or 74 model, I think) that's in pretty good shape, but still needs some work, which he can no longer do, due to having a stroke.  I'm waiting for him to offer to sell it to us cheap.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 09/06/13 at 11:42:43

I've had 2 in my life-time, one when I was a senior in high school and one while I was stationed at Hurlburt Field AFB.
I remember driving my bug thru snow drifts that winter of high school, me and a couple of buds from the podunk town of Fish hook IL. I would have to get up speed and hit the drift (most were about 2ft.), bent my front fender a bit, but bug would jump up onto the drift and slide across it and drop off on the other side. LOL
The one I had while at hurlburt was a 6V converted to a 12V system, always had trouble with that one, but it was the 1600 engine, a blast to drive.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 09/06/13 at 13:13:59

I had a '74 Bus (Camper version) once ... "Herb Tarlek" plaid seats too!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 09/06/13 at 13:32:21

I had one in my late teens/early twenties.  My heat was great though.  Warmed up real quick and got nice and warm.  Just don't let it be raining.  It fogged up terribly because of taking in outside air for the heat.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 09/06/13 at 13:40:06

greenmonster wrote on 09/06/13 at 11:22:10:
I've always heard about the bug heaters being pathetic. Then I thought...

"I ride a motorcycle at 70 with no windshield and only a couple degrees above freezing, in the rain."

And suddenly even a pathetic heater sounded like a slice of heaven.

Sure, you can dress warm. But the defrosters on those things were even worse than the heaters. Being cold is one thing, not being able to see is another. I do know of a guy who stuck an aftermarket rear window defroster grid on his windshield though. It worked, but it looked a little weird. He never got a ticket that I know about, but in a lot of places pasting anything on the windshield that obstructs your view is a no no.

The whole car tended to dissolve pretty rapidly if it was driven anywhere they used much salt on the roads. The first thing to fall off was usually the heater boxes - sheet metal gizmos surrounding part of the exhaust system that supplied the warm air for the heater.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 09/06/13 at 13:59:34

Have a Cal Look 72 Super Beetle in the barn. Empi rims, Berg shifter, modified transaxle... I like the Supers because they use 4 corners struts off of 914 Porsches, a bit better ride than a beam front and swing axle rear. Planning to swap the engine and gear box out for early Porsche 911 stuff. Car had a 2350cc racing engine, now has a 1600 in it for street use.

Pathetic engine, and the sunroof is stuck closed. I REALLY want to make it a front engine, Supra LSD IRS sleeper... or swap in a turbo Celica All Trac engine/trans/related.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #12 - 09/06/13 at 14:58:13

I love VW Bugs. My first car was a 1970 Beetle with a stock 1600cc dual port engine, but it had a bent valve and I didn't know it untill my number three spark plug literally melted and shot out of the head.

Then I had a 1974 Super Beetle. It also had the 1600 CC dual port engine but by the time I got done with it it had a displacement closer to 2000cc. It was the fasted four cylinder in three cities.

They are very easy to work on and maintain. I really miss my 74. I had named it Bug Attack.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/06/13 at 16:49:42

Never owned one,, kinda want one, but the shiufter is like a broom stick in a barrel,, Id rather have some little front wheel drive thing if its for bad driving conditions,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 09/06/13 at 18:00:28

Sis had a '57 Ghia in '66, bought a new Beetle circa `68.  I had a '61 in Athens in '67 that I sold in Georgia in '69.  Now have a '66 in the garage that we have been neglecting.

Regarding driving in the snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcckOTVqao

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:30:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone own a bug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.