Send Topic Print
Anyone own a bug? (Read 223 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Anyone own a bug?
Reply #15 - 09/06/13 at 18:07:04

I remember VWs passing in the snow because they had the weight on the rear wheels. Since there were not any FWD then the comparison is slightly off by 50 years. I do know that old VeeDubs are expensive since they brought them back, but from what I've observed there are several reliability issues with the new ones.  Undecided  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #16 - 09/06/13 at 18:40:56

I've had a split window, oval window, a 57 (first year of big window) and a couple 60's ones chopped into Bajas (can get the engine out of those in 12 min Cheesy). Really cool fun but like the others say, lame heater. They do run in any weather, from sub zero to 40deg c +, and if they overheat they just stop for a while til they cool down. I think bugs are more of a lifestyle choice than a practical way of getting around but super fun.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/07/13 at 04:58:21

HAHAHa that commercial is the first thing that popped into my head once they brought up snow and the beetle for me too Paladin   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #18 - 09/08/13 at 20:45:05

I've owned 2. If you like to wrench they're OK. If you live in cold weather forget it unless you like wiping snow off the windshield going down the road. I'd like to have a new one, I've always loved the look. I'm building an RC racing model of a Porshe 914 now, it was almost the same car, just a different body. If you get one have backup transportation.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 09/08/13 at 23:59:48

My first car... a 63' VW convertible...
It was an antique when I got it...
I was fixin' it 1 out of every 3 rides...

I'd ride it off a cliff, or bash it into a post,... and doughnut myself silly,... but I spent a lot of time working on that thing...
Half of what I know mechanically came from that one car...

Good for teenager that wants to learn...

At my age ... I'd rather walk... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #20 - 09/10/13 at 10:22:58

Well, I went and bought a '74 super beetle. Runs like a champ. Heater works like a hot dang. It has a key feature that wasn't listed. I can see the road through the floor! I've already started gutting the interior as there is mold and mildew throughout. Purchased new pans since there isn't enough of the old ones left to weld to. (The battery didn't fall out on the way home because of a sheet of plywood.) It had a new motor put in in 2008 and I paid less for the car than a motor would cost me so I think I'm coming out alright on this one.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #21 - 09/10/13 at 16:28:19

The regular Beetles didn't have a heater blower motor. They depended on the engine cooling fan for air circulation inside the car, so the heater only really worked when the engine was wound up. The Super Beetle stole a leaf from the Corvair and installed an electric blower motor.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 09/11/13 at 04:18:02

Charon wrote on 09/10/13 at 16:28:19:
The regular Beetles didn't have a heater blower motor. They depended on the engine cooling fan for air circulation inside the car, so the heater only really worked when the engine was wound up. The Super Beetle stole a leaf from the Corvair and installed an electric blower motor.

& THAT was what made it Super?

Buddy O Mine loaned me his VW wagon in 73.. That thing ran awwrite,I had a blast in it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 09/12/13 at 08:14:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/11/13 at 04:18:02:
Charon wrote on 09/10/13 at 16:28:19:

& THAT was what made it Super?

Buddy O Mine loaned me his VW wagon in 73.. That thing ran awwrite,I had a blast in it,

Longer, wider and a much better suspension than regular Bugs. I'll have to drag mine out of the barn and get it back on the road. Plate on it expired in 2006, father in law towed it to the coast behind the motorhome after Katrina wrecked the house in Bay St Louis MS. He stayed in the rv and drove the Bug around. Been back in the barn getting dusty since then, The 1600 he had swapped in place of the 2300+ he got conned out of probably was a major influence in "park it and let it rot"...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 09/12/13 at 08:16:21

I always wanted a bug.
Until I drove a couple.
That cured that desire right away.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 09/12/13 at 08:21:52

I was in the Air Force, wife had surgery, was laid up in hospital,,Hermom,who really didnt care forme, came down to see about her. Mycar was messed up & a guy loaned me a dune buggy. Did I mention it was winter? I drove like a mad man, always did. That old woman sat there gritting her teeth, not saying a word,., I LOved it,
Open cockpit, no heateratall,, HA! She froze herfat A55 off..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #26 - 09/14/13 at 18:18:38

I was an owner of 2 VW  Bugs.
One of which was a convertible..
I loved them both.. Drove them
all over. We even took 2 trips to
Ca in the one. Unfortunately it
was not the convertible as we got
that one a couple years later.
No a/c and as others mentioned the
heater was almost non  existent.
I sold both as kids were small and the
thought of getting rear ended overtook me
and so got rid of both of them.
Have given thought of getting another one.
Great gas mileage and put chains on them in
the snow, you can go anywhere.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 09/14/13 at 19:03:53

I'm changing my answer to unfortunately, I have a bug in the barn. Looks like it will be staying there until I'm sick of looking at it, it is stuck in neutral with the parking brake completely frozen. Father in law must have put it up damp from the coast...  Angry

And the sunroof gear is stripped out, it won't open. And all 4 less than a thousand miles on them tires are flat.

The dirt dauber nest in the engine compartment was an unpleasant surprise as well.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:25:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone own a bug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.