Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Fixed!)...New Contest -- GET RID OF THE ADD BAR (Read 164 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
(Fixed!)...New Contest -- GET RID OF THE ADD BAR
09/06/13 at 06:02:34

NEW CONTEST

People People People !!!!

We gonna have us a wee little in-list contest, but this time instead of finding places and parking out bike in front of it we are going to have us a bit of a TECHIE contest.

First person who can find out how to permanently lose the left hand add bar on this site in Firefox using Firefox add-ins or whatever (and successfully post a HOW TO on the subject here in this thread)  wins -- and you will certainly win our respect and thanks from everybody.

I have always said as a whole list we were a pretty durn smart mechanic.   We have lots of skilled people and some few professional computer people are on here as well.

Contest starts 9:00 AM Friday Sept 6th  so go to it !!!

« Last Edit: 09/06/13 at 11:45:35 by Serowbot »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: New Contest -- GET RID OF THE ADD BAR
Reply #1 - 09/06/13 at 06:17:27

Ad-Killer 0.87 add-on from Firefox Linux does not work.  The ad flashes up, then instantly disappears as it is killed, but leaves the blank frame screwing up the page still.

Apparently this tool is just intended to remove politically unacceptable ads from the eyes of the persons who cannot tolerate it.

Not what we are after at all ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/06/13 at 06:19:58

I got this 2" wide piece of masking tape......and I could install it vertically on the left edge of my screen.

Who is the source of this add being posted on our forum?  Can't we all send them an email and request they move it back over to the right side where it used to be?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 09/06/13 at 06:27:47

I usually use Chrome with Adblocker, and I have never seen it. But it does seem to explain why the site sometimes comes up right-justified and I have to scroll to read all the text if I don't have the site full-screen.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/06/13 at 06:32:32

I suspect that Mysterious is the only one who can correct the thing's ability to mess up your screen spacing by being so durn huge and on the left hand side of the page.

I think he forgot that some (most) of us have old limited monitors and there isn't ROOM on the displayed page for that huge arsed ad and the page itself both at the same time.   Right now he has it spaced so the page itself gets cut off ....

====================

The Adblock add-in works better, but it still leaves a huge empty side bar on the left of the page which still means you have to be sliding the slide bar over all the time as you hop around.   Less objectionable, mebbe, but the too big empty frame issue is still there causing the reading portion of the list to be cut off about half way.

The empty LH frame is a PART of SuzukiSavage.com and only Mysterious can apparently fix it.  

There used to be a big arsed SuzukiSavage logo on the right hand side that caused no issue since it autoframed off the page for most of us automatically.   If he put the ads on the right hand side, they would generate him some ad money and still not be objectionable to the little monitor guys like me.

REMEMBER THEM LITTLE BITTY OLD 19" MONITORS, the old super VGA class of monitors when you do this neat new stuff, Mysterious.  

Not all of us have huge hi-rez real estate to look at.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 09/06/13 at 06:48:41

Just for "fun" I temporarily disabled Adblocker for this site. Now I see the ad for "voodoo vintage" stuff for the Savage. I also got the ad, this time for Yamaha, across the top. I had noticed before, on other sites, that Adblocker kills the ad, but leaves the blank space where the ad was supposed to appear. I guess that's what it is doing now.

By the way, the ads provide revenue for the site. While I despise them I can see the reason why the site owner runs them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/06/13 at 06:51:44

Yeah, he can run them and generate a few bucks of ad revenue money, but on the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the page please.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 09/06/13 at 06:51:44

OF I'm seeing the same deal with Safari. Plus, I now have to click the "back" button twice to get to the previous page. And that is only with this site. Every other site works same as it used to. Go figure!

And as to the 19" mini screen........yep me too!

Sure hope somebody can find the fix for all our OS's

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/06/13 at 07:04:04

Hell, I'd change browsers in a heart beat if somebody can just fix this irritation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 09/06/13 at 07:27:27

Quit whining, I'm on a beat up old laptop most of the time. Whatever version of Firefox I'm running just centers the main box, no left right sliding required.

My computer is so beat, I'm on a corded external mouse, somebody punched the built in one.  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 09/06/13 at 07:31:37

Edit your hosts file. and put in 127.0.0.1 zobos.net

It will block the ad.  It won't fix the formatting. The space is being allocated for the ad whether or not the ad shows. The main window is now being started at 172 pixels from left edge.
The ad is javascript.  Could turn off scripting.  I have no idea what that will do to the rest of the site, though.  It will certainly make many sites unuseable without scripting.

I've never seen the ad at the top. I've got a huge hosts file with most known ad sites blocked so I never see them.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/06/13 at 07:54:21

yep, there's a way.  

cpanel, profile, options, set template to old yabb style.

merry xmas

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 09/06/13 at 08:12:35

YES, it works !!!

Might want to expand the instructions a little bit, and put in all the steps including the log in step, but the idea is sound and it works.  

The old Yabb interface just displays the main body and ignores the new add frames as they weren't supported by the old Yabb at all.

First Prize Winner is Verslagen1, techie person extraordinary !!!!

Now, you can write it up all pretty like and put it in Tech, Tech Index and in the "What every newbie needs to know" ......   this is good stuff !!!

And I like the old Christmas theme -- works fine for me !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/06/13 at 08:14:25

Im gonna need stepby step instructions,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 09/06/13 at 08:20:12

I didn't know it was an ad bar...
I just wondered why I had to keep scrolling right...

Plays hell with my 8.9" netbook.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:15:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › (Fixed!)...New Contest -- GET RID OF THE ADD BAR

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.