what does sparky look like?

WWW   IP Logged
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Flames out the exhaust
Reply #16 - 09/11/13 at 00:58:23

First:  I have no excuse for not having pulled the spark plug earlier and provided its condition as part of my initial post.
Second: I don't think I'm running lean. I have soot on my rear brake lever arm behind the exhaust pipe and a very sooty spark plug.
Third:  The backfire (after fire) sound was provided as a data point for the sound.  The banging/flames I'm getting is NOT during deceleration or shut down.  I get it when trying to give it more throttle than a little more than idle.
Finally: Yes my cylinder head cover is leaking, thus the oil on the spark plug, and down the front of the engine.
« Last Edit: 09/11/13 at 03:18:39 by Lunar »  

image_109.jpg
  IP Logged
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/18/13 at 02:08:35

I understand that I should be running lean with the stock carb and that some have commented that the bang during acceleration sounds like I'm running lean.  What I don't understand is how I am getting this much soot and fuel pooling at the mouth of the carb and be lean.  I took out the white spacer on the 86 carb and reinstalled it and while it runs better than the 2000 carb with half thickness white spacer the banging is still there.  And I still have the question of why did it run ok for a year with its present configuration (save for the spacer)?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #18 - 09/18/13 at 15:12:46

Guys,  why should there be fuel pooling at the mouth of the carb? That sounds like high fuel level / float needle not sealing completely.  

I haven't had any carb issues on my bike so I haven't paid that much attention to it.  But, on previous bikes, whenever I saw something like this I looked for a float or float valve problem.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/22/18 at 10:02:38

Did you ever find a resolution for this issue, because I am having the exact same problem - 10 inch flames shooting out the exhaust on acceleration.

Same troubleshooting: Adjusted the Valves, tried different jets, checked for exhaust leaks. Diaphragm is not punctured or torn.

Performance is terrible. The bike does not exceed 40 MPH. On hard acceleration I get flames out of the tailpipe.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 03/22/18 at 10:53:33

You may want to check the main jet, there is a washer installed between it and the needle jet , if it's missing it allows the needle jet to move down away from the jet needle and would cause you to start running  very rich when you first come of idle. it would explain the soot on the plug, and the gas flowing out the carb(reversion) ,and flames out the exhaust ( fuel ratio to high that there isn't enough air to burn all the excess fuel until it is ignited by the hot pipe ) as you should not be running rich with a full spacer and stock jets at sea level ,you should be running dangerously lean, even more so with a Dyna ,and your air cleaner.

« Last Edit: 03/22/18 at 17:06:14 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
troyrr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/23/18 at 09:36:51

Hey Batman, I'm not the guy living at sealevel. I just found this thread yesterday and wanted to know if there was a resolution.

So, if I understand you correctly, this is strictly a carburetor problem?

I'm using the half spacer on the needle. Main Jet has the washer. The only thing I don't have is a washer under the clip on the needle.  At this point I don't remember what jets I have because I have swapped them out several times.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 03/23/18 at 12:18:53

Troyrr,  My answer above was addressing Lunar's problem.(he is at sea level and he is running stock jets ). I would order/find/ replace, the washer that is missing on the needle for starters ( not having the washer in place will effect your needle position). Then jet your carb to your, elevation /air cleaner / exhaust, which details you have not stated . Do I think your problem is the same as Lunar's ? the answer is no , there both fuel related, but flames shooting out the exhaust can be from running to rich Lunar's problem ,or to lean ,your problem .The missing washer allows the clip and therefore the needle to move down inside the spring, dropping your needle rather than holding it up against the spacer, the side moves up sending more air ,but the needle isn't moving away from the main jet ,your fuel mix is so lean it doesn't fire and gets pushed in to the exhaust where the hot pipe makes it explode , sending flames out your muffler, and that's also why changing jets  (no matter what size)has had no effect.

« Last Edit: 03/23/18 at 15:43:06 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 16:54:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flames out the exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.