Send Topic Print
Flames out the exhaust (Read 466 times)
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Flames out the exhaust
09/06/13 at 03:24:25

I've got a 86 savage with about 25k miles on it, a k&n cone filter, a sportster exhaust, still has the original carb set up, mix screw out 3.5 turns and I added  a tab to the timing chain tensioner.  Im at sea level.  The bike ran more or less fine for about a year but then it started running a little rough and I let it sit for a few months; but now I'm trying to get it back on the road.  It starts fine but when I accelerate it bangs and flames come out the tail pipe.  During idle and very gradual slight acceleration I also get some puffing coming out from the carb. I've put in fresh gas and cleaned the carb...a couple of times.  I've also checked the valve clearance, tighter than specs, but the problem persisted after I adjusted them.  I know it was running rich and wonder if it built up enough on the valves to now prevent them from closing properly when the engine speed increases.  I have a 2000 that I can swap the carb from, or maybe the whole engine but that carb sat for years...that's another post.  Thoughts?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Flames out the exhaust
Reply #1 - 09/06/13 at 04:27:44

The symptoms you are describing are the engine running lean just off idle.  It could be an intake air leak somewhere, or a dirty pilot jet or idle circuit, or you may need the white spacer mod to raise your slide needle.

How does the bike run when you open up the throttle a bunch and accelerate hard?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/06/13 at 20:33:53

I can't really get it to open up or accelerate hard.  To clarify when I said accelerate it is only engine acceleration no actuall moving.  These symptom are in the drive way.  I took a video of it with my iPad but it won't load to this thread.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 09/06/13 at 20:48:59

I'm with Dave.  It sounds like you're lean just off idle.  Any chance something's clogging the main jet? Vacuum operated slide moving up and and down freely?  Possibility of torn or punctured diaphram at the top?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/06/13 at 20:51:32

The bike ran more or less fine for about a year but then it started running a little rough and I let it sit for a few months;

The gas in the bowl evaporated, leaving crap. Drain the bowl into glass, see how it looks, maybe drain it again,,

May need to dropthe bowl, check the jets, clean up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/06/13 at 20:52:31

OHH yea,drain the tank,, put fresh gas in.. I was having some Rough Run issues,, I did that & Vroom!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/07/13 at 02:15:23

I have removed every removable component of the carb and cleaned them.  Anything that should have air and/or fuel flowing through it is cleaned.  I drained the fuel tank, it has fresh fuel.  The diaphragm is good and the slide slides.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 09/07/13 at 08:29:40

When you put the needle back in the slide, did you put the clip on top of or under the spring?  The clip should be on top of the spring.

When I got mine, it was under the spring and it had the same symptoms.  Would idle great soon as you cracked the throttle lots of popping sputtering and tremendous backfires.  Not saying that's what's happening with yours but it could be an easy thing to get wrong when reassembling.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/07/13 at 16:15:11

Mine is assembled in this order:
(From l to r in pic or top to bottom as they sit in the carb)
Needle jet plate, white spacer, e-clip, washer, spring and slide body.
That matches the assembly diagrams, they way both of my carbs came apart and what you described.

Any chance I'm running way too rich and when I accelerate excess fuel passes through the chamber and ignites in the header?
Given that I have the stock jets but mix was turned out 3.5 turns?
What would be a good number of turns for the mix screw and white washer thickness with a k&n cone filter, HD exhaust, at sea level if I use the stock jets for the time being?

image_104.jpg
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 09/07/13 at 18:16:12

That looks perfect. Just the way it should be.

A vacuum leak? If you don't have the stock petcock, is the vacuum tap plugged well?

IP Logged
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/07/13 at 18:53:06

I have the stock petcock.  This is also a California model so it has the vent tube on the underside of the tank near the speedo.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that vent tube should connect to the verticle tube on the right side of the carb under the carb vent tube.
If I swap to a non California carb that I have should I plug the tube on the tank?  The emissions stuff is removed.

image_105.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/07/13 at 19:19:07

while that is the connection to the carbon canister, I don't think you should hook it up the tank.

plug the carb, leave the vent on the tank open.

WWW   IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #12 - 09/08/13 at 20:08:00

I get ocassional tiny flames on SOME backfires, is that what you're describing?

IP Logged
Lunar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/10/13 at 00:33:56

You know how a lot of savages have that bang after you shut down.... not that.  This is much louder and sharper.  The flame varies, at night I can see it extend out the pipe a good foot.
Tonight I installed the newly cleaned carb with a white spacer modified to half original thickness and 2.5 turns on the mix screw from the 2000 savage I have and the problem continues.  However, I noticed that the throat of the carb is wet with fuel.  So I'm thinking the float is set to high and fuel is getting sucked in at much less throttle than it should.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 09/10/13 at 05:31:57

Lunar wrote on 09/10/13 at 00:33:56:
 However, I noticed that the throat of the carb is wet with fuel.  So I'm thinking the float is set to high and fuel is getting sucked in at much less throttle than it should.

Too much fuel causes black smoke and rich running...it does not make the engine backfire.  The backfire while running is caused by a lean mixture that results when you close the throttle.....and the fuel circuits are closed off while the engine has high vacuum and continues to pull in air....the mixture goes so lean that it will not ignite in the cylinder by the spark plug - but can be ignited by the hot exhaust system (or the exhaust flame from the next time the spark plut does ignite the fuel in the cylinder). When the throttle is closed the only fuel that flows is the idle circuit....and it cannot supply enough fuel to the cylinder when the engine is running above idle speed.

The source of the pop/bang when you shut the engine off is that the ignition is switched off....however the engine continues to turn and pump fuel and air throug the engine and into the hot exhaust system....where it can be ignited.

There is nothing wrong with checking your float level - but it will not do much to change the backfire unless the level is too low.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:51:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flames out the exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.