Light bar (Read 167 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Light bar
09/05/13 at 13:00:33

Found this on E-bay, anyone ever consider something like this or have one? Wife seen something similar on a bigger bike and asked if I could find one for hers.

Looks semi-easy to install, cept i'll probably have to run those white lights on the parking circuit so they stay on, or maybe the headlight circuit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Motorcycle-Passing-Light-Bar-Turn-Signals-For-S...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Re: Light bar
Reply #1 - 09/05/13 at 13:14:44

at that price I would really be concerned with the over all quality

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/05/13 at 13:16:17

We don't have much extra electrical capacity to run additional lighting.  Some have even been able to run the battery down with the stock light if they make frequent engine stops and starts while running errands.

Does your wife want additional lighting to see better.....or to be seen?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 09/05/13 at 13:52:51

She likes the idea of being seen.... I was thinking of a wind generator for some led's, got the idea running rampant in my head and trying to figure how to get in on paper and parts to get for a mechanical trial run.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/05/13 at 14:09:08

I will get it wired up this weekend.....but I have added a LED white/yellow flashing light under my headlight.  It will be wired to the Passing switch and used when I am not sure that I have been seen.

IMG_0978.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 09/05/13 at 14:15:29

I don't like the design.

Those turn signals look really puny and too close to the running lights.

Personally, I want the biggest, brightest turn signal lights I can get.  I get scared looking at all the very small "stylish" aftermarket turn signal lights out there.

Also, I think turn signals should be mounted somewhere away from the headlamp and other running lights.  Those turn signals are right close to the driving lights.  I would be afraid that the turn signals would not be seen in the glare of the running lights.

I'm all for a cool look, but in some things, I value safety over cool.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 09/05/13 at 14:21:33

bobert_FSO wrote on 09/05/13 at 14:15:29:
I don't like the design.

Those turn signals look really puny and too close to the running lights.

Personally, I want the biggest, brightest turn signal lights I can get.  I get scared looking at all the very small "stylish" aftermarket turn signal lights out there.

Also, I think turn signals should be mounted somewhere away from the headlamp and other running lights.  Those turn signals are right close to the driving lights.  I would be afraid that the turn signals would not be seen in the glare of the running lights.

I'm all for a cool look, but in some things, I value safety over cool.

Good call, never thought about the closeness and not seeing them. I just wired a set of "blinker in mirror" lights for a gal I used to work with. I kept the stock harness and added some push-pull type electrical connectors. The mirrors were a tad big at the base, but she was happy with the over-all outcome. Maybe I'll look around for some mirrors that don't look too bad on a savage with led blinkers in them.

On that note, where is the 650's flasher relay and how many prongs does it have?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/05/13 at 16:10:14

2 prong, under the tank, right side.

I'd be concerned with the bracket, it's just sheet metal and probably won't last long.
and yes those turns are smaller than stock.
Hardly has some big turn signals. 'bot got'em.

and yes, watch the amperage. might support another 50watts or so, but not if you're doing short trips.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 09/05/13 at 23:50:49

Cheap (=low price) does not necessarily mean cheap (=low quality).

I still have the Zenith TTL reflex camera I bought as an Officer cadet way back in 1980, it was "Made in the USSR" and has a cloth shutter.

It's entirely mechanical, the only "electronics" being the exposure meter.

It still works, but it's pointless to use film cameras these days - unless you want high resolution B/W prints  Wink

The indicators are OK provided you use a good quality 21W bulb; as for the running lights, they are NOT H1/H3/H7 lights, more like more 21W filament bulbs.

Just replace them with 21W LEDs and you're happy.

Just don't expect the LEDs to light up the road at night...

PS: Running lights with 21W bulbs?  Lips Sealed OK, low quality, I guess even the reflecting mirrors wouldn't take the heat of a halogen 50W bulb...
Use "reversing/indicator" LEDs.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
NorCalRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF, California
Reply #9 - 09/07/13 at 19:05:14

I have installed a red LED strip around the sissybar and wired it to the tail light. Those LEDs are bright. The wife says it makes it look like it belongs in Vegas but I want to be visible. May be I should put a switch or a photo sensor so it comes on only at night.

I have also put the yellow LED strips on the side of mirrors and hooked them to the turn signals. Work well.

I am in search of front firing, bright LEDs but have not found them. I want to put them around the headlight as a cheap halo. So far the best LEDs I have found are at Super Bright LEDS (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flexible-strips-and-bars/).

I will take some photos tomorrow and upload them.

1999, Black, Raptor petcock, K&N air filter, otherwise stock. 5,800 miles.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 09/07/13 at 19:20:21

NorCalRider wrote on 09/07/13 at 19:05:14:
I have installed a red LED strip around the sissybar and wired it to the tail light. Those LEDs are bright. The wife says it makes it look like it belongs in Vegas but I want to be visible. May be I should put a switch or a photo sensor so it comes on only at night.

I have also put the yellow LED strips on the side of mirrors and hooked them to the turn signals. Work well.

I am in search of front firing, bright LEDs but have not found them. I want to put them around the headlight as a cheap halo. So far the best LEDs I have found are at Super Bright LEDS (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flexible-strips-and-bars/).

So the led's are good? and don't draw too much power? Did you have to add a electronic flash resistor? or just patch them in? are they the peel and stick 4 strip waterproof ones on ebay?
'

IP Logged
NorCalRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF, California
Reply #11 - 09/10/13 at 12:22:27

old_rider wrote on 09/07/13 at 19:20:21:
NorCalRider wrote on 09/07/13 at 19:05:14:

So the led's are good? and don't draw too much power? Did you have to add a electronic flash resistor? or just patch them in? are they the peel and stick 4 strip waterproof ones on ebay?
'

No resistors needed. Just patched them in parallel to the existing lights. They have 3M adhesive backing on them which has stood up to the elements. I did use a rubber band for a day to the one on the mirror because of the curvature but the strip has not come off in almost seven months.

I will upload the photos shortly so you can see.

IP Logged
OldSport

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/10/13 at 12:47:59

A couple of years ago I went to Walmart and bought a set of 55 watt halogen driving lights for $25 and mounted them on the GS500F I had at the time.  They used too much power at 110 watts so I went to Lowes and purchased two 300 lumen LEDs with the same two pin mount.  They use 12.5 watts and I didn't have any more problems.  My other bike has a set of MotoLights that had two 35 watt halogen bulbs.  When one blew I replaced them with the same led's from Lowes and they work fine.  

GS500F

IP Logged
NorCalRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF, California
Reply #13 - 09/11/13 at 11:06:34

Here are the pictures of the LED strips installed on the bike. http://www.bikepics.com/members/zenerdiode/leds/

Let me know if you have any questions.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 09/11/13 at 13:00:14

The wife has a bag on there now so I am going to have to figure out how to attach a light strip to the sides of the bag.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:29:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Light bar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.