Send Topic Print
You did Whuuut!?? (Read 266 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
You did Whuuut!??
09/05/13 at 10:19:15

We have some pretty different folks in this bunch O bike riders. People who have had to be a bit more than the average schmuck to get where they got. Then, there are the rest of us.. Im pretty happy with my work history, I always had desires to know how to weld, paint( I Really got over that one), run equipment, mechanic, do body work, home electrical, stuff like that. I never answered "The question" with I wanna be a Fireman!

LIke many, I started mowing yards as a pre-teen. My G/Pa was ditching a mower cuz he couldnt start it any more. He said I could have it if I could get it running,. Needed rings, but it ran. Graduated to a paper route, then sacker, first of 6 or 8 kids hired that day to get araise & first promoted to checker & then stocker. All boring stuff, but,, a kids gotta start Somewhere.

That said, IF I could have I would have been happy to spend my days in a machine shop or welding shop or hang with a mechanic when I was 12.
I think hanging with a mechanic is pretty safe & a good mechanic can make a Fine living,,

So,, what were your dreams & aspirations? Did you somehow get thrust into something you never dreamed of doing?
What was your favorite job?

Hey, Digger,, How did you get that job?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: You did Whuuut!??
Reply #1 - 09/05/13 at 10:36:54

In kindergarten when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up,...
I answered, "A spider"...
This created some concern...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 09/05/13 at 12:01:43

Funny, I got in a lot of trouble when they asked me in first or second grade and I replied... "A Hell's Angel"... I got bored with that really quickly.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/05/13 at 13:02:43

I wernt to school with a guy who wanted to make the FBI Top 10 most wanted,, Hewas a complete Loser,,no friends, teachers were always having to send him to the office,, total PITA.,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 09/05/13 at 13:24:13

I never did really have an answer for them when they asked that question.  I always knew I wanted to fix stuff.  Machinery was always a big fascination with me.  

I spent twenty years in the computer business as a repair tech, installer, and network engineer.  I have programmed PLC's for plastic injection molding machines. Did that for a couple years until the mismanaged company folded. Now, I'm in printing again.  Press operator and typesetter.  

I've always wrenched on my own stuff.  Consequently I've had a lot of junk cause I was the only one that could keep it going. Slowly teaching myself to weld.  It ain't pretty but it don't let go. I can do a tolerable rattle can job.  Wish I knew a lot more about painting motorcycles, cars and stuff like that.  I've had my fill of house painting over the years.

WD I bet you did cause quite a stir with that one.
Sero...A spider? These days they'd put you through all sorts of psychological testing for saying something like that.

Looks like everybody turned out good, though. Guess there's something to be said for growing up.  

There's a very diverse bunch on here.  You can almost always get help on just about anything.  That's great to have on a forum.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 09/05/13 at 17:17:07

My father owned an electical buisness, I worked there till I was sent to work in a scrap yard when things slowed down.i bought a truck and started hauling metal to  the scrap yard.At first I thought it was cool to  have a buisness, until people started refering to me as junk man.After  13 years ,I went to work in a fruit  stand, for 5 years,They closed down,and I got a job at a bicycle shop,assembling bikes.The boss there was not nice,so I got a job doing maintenance at a plumbing shop part time,where I currently work.Nothing like having a focused career.
What i wanted to do as a kid was teach karate,but I gave that up after realising I wasn't too tough.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 09/05/13 at 17:59:12

I enlisted in the Air Force right out of high school, and spent twenty years in electronics. When I retired I lucked into a job in biomedical electronics in a local hospital. After something over fifteen years there I got tired of carrying a pager, and tried over-the-road trucking. That didn't last long. I then was in my mid-fifties, and discovered that despite laws against age discrimination in hiring, it is alive and well. I got a job with a company making electronic reader boards, and when the parent company sold it I got "downsized." By then I was able to start drawing Social Security retirement, and along with my Air Force retirement I can manage. I also found a part time job driving school buses for the local school district. That provides the "mad money."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/05/13 at 22:23:24

I also found a part time job driving school buses for the local school district. That provides the "mad money."

If I drove a bus Id need a TON of "Mad Money",, cuz when I wasnt  mad ( angry), Id be  "Mad" crazy..

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/06/13 at 04:13:59

Hmm so many jobs in my life, funny this topic should come up I had a dream a few nights ago about most of the jobs I've done over the years.

-Paper Route
-Working at Grandma's local candy store
-Gofer at a record studio (got to hang out and play foosball with the Stray Cats!)
-Telemarketer (very sort stint...worse job ever!!)
-Warehouse grunt
-Sign shop worker
-Pizza maker
-Stock boy
-Ambulette driver, later followed by manager of said business
-Auto parts counterman/delivery driver
-Real Estate Title Examiner (was my main career for 20+ years but always had 2 or 3 jobs)
-Waiter
-Bartender
-R&D for textile machinery manufacturer
-Computer technician
-Handyman
-GC helper
-Mr. Mom for 4 years (the hardest job on the list)
-Cell phone/touch screen device technician

Oh and I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot!!!!!!!!   Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 09/06/13 at 06:19:56

Thankfully what I did when I was young .. had little effect on what I became.

When I was around twelve I would mow yards ... making $10 per yard, I could rake in $40 - $70 per weekend. This would be about 1976 or so.
My first paycheck came from nepotism, dad got me a job where he worked. I would wash "hoghair" filters, boil grease traps in acid, and cut and roll up fiberglass filters to spec for the installers to take on site. This got me enough money in one summer to buy my first car (I was 14) ... 1966 mustang. Which got stolen the night before I was to take possession. Leading to my second car that summer.. a 1968 Mustang.
Then on to McDonalds, Kogers which lasted me through junior college.

I taught computers at a local "tech college" while attending USM to get my BSBA in MIS.
I pulled about 1 year in the private sector at a hardware re-seller for AS/400, with Hospital software, before landing my first state job as a programmer. Been with the state ever since.

Now prior to 1975, I wanted to be doctor/psychiatrist... but in 1976 the high brought their first "micro-computer" into the school ( Tandy Model 1). That was it .. I was hooked. Been riding the computer thing ever since.

I was always a "good" kid. Mostly just too shy/scared to be anything else.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/06/13 at 08:36:18

R&D for textile machinery manufacturer..

I like that idea..
& fl;ying was a deep hidden desire,I Did fly some, never a copter, but before I was 13 Id flown in & handled the controls on several smallplanes.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 09/06/13 at 10:55:41

Interesting stuff.  Thanks JOG, I like reading this kind of stuff...  we are a diverse bunch, for sure.  Aint it funny how one crazy bike attracts such a range of folks?

I guess I was a fairly smart kid in school.  All my sisters and brother were too.  Thought when I started college that I'd go the computer programming route, but got a part-time job with the state in the hunting and fishing license office, turned out to be good at auditing and figuring out "what the heck happened" and decided that programming wasn't for me.  Finished my degree anyway, but stayed working in the accounting field.  Went through accounts payable, to bank reconciliations, receivables, payroll... then started working more with inventories and job costing and liked that.  Did some customer service work, started learning how to manage a service department (manager was gonna retire) but then Hubby and I decided to relocate.  Now I'm back to general accounting and payroll again.

Never made a living at it, but always wished I could have made money at upholstery work, sewing, or woodworking.  

Oh, when I was little, I wanted to be a gymnast!    Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #12 - 09/06/13 at 11:23:06

I guess the only thing I wanted to be(outside being like Roy Rodgers or Sky King...if yer under 50 ya might need to goggle those!) was a farmer. Grew up un a farm and was always with Pa or my uncle doing some sort of chores around the farm and pitching hay,picking tomatos,working in tobacco or building fence for neighbors. Did the FFA thing in high school but when I got out it hit me I'd never make a living at farming.

That was 1973. Factory jobs paid very well back then and I had my pick of several to work for. Then hit Jimmy Carters "Arab Oil Embargo". Factory jobs went to crap with huge layoffs.

Back to farmhand work for a year or so,then got on a powerline construction crew for one summer.

From that point on,my work varied. I've worked at....

*HVAC
*building maintenance
*retail farm supply
*custom crop spraying(strictly on the ground)
*supervised custodial and maintenance crews for  2500 student high school
*drove  a dedicated run hauling auto parts to plants
*was grounds director for a nature preserve
*drove a tri-axle dump truck
*pickup & delivery for a large mower shop

and now parts counter/sales person for the same mower shop/Kubota dealer. It's been a wild ride but coming up on 60 I realise I've been way too hard on this old body and I'm looking to the time I can slow down a bit. With the way things are going that'll be when I hit 80 I think Angry

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/06/13 at 16:46:49

babyhog wrote on 09/06/13 at 10:55:41:
Interesting stuff.  Thanks JOG, I like reading this kind of stuff...  we are a diverse bunch, for sure.  Aint it funny how one crazy bike attracts such a range of folks?

I guess I was a fairly smart kid in school.  All my sisters and brother were too.  Thought when I started college that I'd go the computer programming route, but got a part-time job with the state in the hunting and fishing license office, turned out to be good at auditing and figuring out "what the heck happened" and decided that programming wasn't for me.  Finished my degree anyway, but stayed working in the accounting field.  Went through accounts payable, to bank reconciliations, receivables, payroll... then started working more with inventories and job costing and liked that.  Did some customer service work, started learning how to manage a service department (manager was gonna retire) but then Hubby and I decided to relocate.  Now I'm back to general accounting and payroll again.

Never made a living at it, but always wished I could have made money at upholstery work, sewing, or woodworking.  

You can run equipment,, right?

Oh, when I was little, I wanted to be a gymnast!    Smiley

You can run equipment,, right?

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 09/06/13 at 18:02:53

I would like to be lawyer, but I cannot pass a bar. Tongue

…Seriously though, I wanted to be a lunar astronaut. Didn’t make it of course, but I did get to do a whole lot of flying.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:23:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › You did Whuuut!??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.