photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Re: You did Whuuut!??
Reply #15 - 09/06/13 at 18:50:50

I knew I wanted to be a photographer when I picked up my first issue of Playboy at the tender age of.....don't remember but I did drop my skateboard when I opened the centerfold.

Musician, drywall finisher, framer, cab driver, truck driver delivering pizza supplies  around the 5 boroughs of NYC.

Stayed in Drywall for 15 years, made good money doing it.

Stayed in photography for 15 years, left the business last year. Should change my handle at some point.

Been working at at gun range since last year, mostly selling guns but do have my Instructor/range officer certs and do work the range on occasion. By far the most fun job I've ever had, and the most happy I can remember being at any job.

FSO
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #16 - 09/07/13 at 01:42:24

My first job, still at school, was sh!t kicker at a glazing company. Learned to make screens, cut glass, glaze windows and what it's like to earn a living. After school, trained as a heavy diesel mechanic in an open cut mine. Then went to work in an outback garage working on everything from chainsaws to motorcycles to cars, 4wd, trucks and earthmoving stuff, panelbeating, painting and rescue and recovery trips into the simpson desert. I must have mended thousands of punctures there. Moved to the city, had a couple years as stock control/ delivery at a 4WD workshop then a couple more years as a lab technician in an experimental fish farm (after some training in my spare time). Last 10 years, I've been working with intellectually disabled people. It's great and I get paid to do stuff I love doing anyway and helping others achieve their goals. I also do occasional tandem paraglider piloting in the spare time. Now, am studying to be a librarian.
cheers
simon

IP Logged
NorCalRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF, California
Reply #17 - 09/07/13 at 18:46:21

When I was in elementary school I wanted to be a fighter pilot but then got diagnosed with near-sightedness and wore coke-bottle glasses (and got made fun of). And there went that dream.

After that it was just boring studies all throughout. Went to college and got a degree in electrical engineering but caught the computer bug and never practiced EE. Instead started with computer repair, then moved on to networking and then into computer forensics. These days I work for a high tech company in their computer security department. And have a lot of fun keeping the bad guys out.

I always wanted to learn to operate and fix machines and weld but never got around. May be now that I am older...

1999, Black, Raptor petcock, K&N air filter, otherwise stock. 5,800 miles.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/07/13 at 23:56:19

Go get a welder & some sticks &  junk metal,,Have fun.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 09/08/13 at 16:50:36

You can run equipment,, right?

Me?  Nah... Well maybe a little but nothing major.  Never seen a piece of equipment my hubby couldn't run though.  He's learned me a little....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/09/13 at 03:39:42

I thot I saw you on a trencher.. Ive never been on anything I couldnt run. I REally want a shot at a crane,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #21 - 09/09/13 at 04:51:55

Interesting topic!

My first job, which I started at age 12 and continued for a few years, was delivering newspapers … from then on I managed to had some sort of income with a variety of summer jobs until I finished college …

Helper on an Ice Cream delivery truck, Laborer with a Moving Company, Cashier in a Convenience Store, Labor/Maintenance with Power Utility, Landscape Foreman, Assistant with Survey Crew …  

From a small boy I had been fascinated with Aircraft and the Space Program and so thought that I might end up as an Aeronautical Engineer and excelled in Physics in High School … turned out that that program wasn’t offered locally, so ended up taking Architectural and Engineering Technology in College and have been employed as a Engineering Technologist for the past 32 years … have tired of it though, as most who have worked at the same profession for over a quarter century. In 2008 I decided to become a Certified Instructor with a local Motorcycle Training Program and have been doing that every summer since and find it very, very rewarding!

If I had my druthers?? Well I LOVE history (particularly 20th Century & WW2) and have always thought that I’d have made a good High School History teacher!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #22 - 09/09/13 at 05:22:09

Went to town and got a workers permit when I was 12. By the way I started paying SS then. I worked for a feed and seed mill and did local maintenance work at a church. When I graduated I was hired by RJR Tobacco Co. to work on machinery there. I feel guilty about making all those cigarettes but it supported my family in style. I have 2 of the best mannered, hard working,easy going kids in the world and I'm not saying it because they're mine. Maybe my purpose in life was to bring them into this world. I'd rather had a job helping people out instead of poisoning them but I only had a high school education and sometimes you have to play the cards you're dealt.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #23 - 09/09/13 at 10:30:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/13 at 03:39:42:
I thot I saw you on a trencher.. Ive never been on anything I couldnt run. I REally want a shot at a crane,

Ha!  I maybe posted a pic when we were digging the ditch for our underground electric at our camp.  Hubby still points out the "hole" I dug at the top of the driveway!  I still say it was his instructions that caused me to dig too deep in the wrong place...   Wink

Perry mentions ice cream.... I'd never be able to work near ice cream.  I'd eat my whole pay check in ice cream!  Love the stuff....

And Midnight... from a smoker... don't feel bad.  I certainly don't hold you responsible for MY bad habit.  If you hadn't done your job, someone else woulda.  So if it supported your family, then I'm happy for you!    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 09/09/13 at 12:02:37

When I was a kid, I worked one summer making corn dogs and cotton candy at a carnival...

I ate that paycheck... Grin... (not really,.. I didn't tell the boss)... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ralph_86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Romans 10:9

Fayette Co., WV
Reply #25 - 09/09/13 at 12:39:30

I started at 15 as a bagger/stock boy at a local small grocery store.  I worked there through high school to buy and pay off my Chevelle.  I started college and began working 3/4 the year for a rafting company.  I worked as maintenance, a driver, builder, lawn cutter, security and anything else they would let me do to get as many hours as possible.  I would make enough to get laid off after gauley season(end of October) till the next march and be able to pay bills and afford to drive to college.  
I went to West Virginia Institute of Technology(now WVUIT) and got a degree Civil Engineering Technology.  I married in 2006, graduated college in 2007 and have been working as a Mining Engineer ever since.  I like the coal industry, but never knowing if you will have a job the next day sure does takes its toll on ya.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a Conservation Office(game warden) until I found out I could make more money working at the local gas station.  Undecided

1986 4spd Savage
Approx. 6,000 Miles
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:17:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › You did Whuuut!??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.