low cost raptor (Read 201 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
low cost raptor
09/05/13 at 08:43:42

Is this thing any good?  I'll bet all the raptors (Yamaha or not) are not made in Japan, but some are probably better than others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-Petrol-Petcock-Switch-Pump-Yamaha-Raptor-660...

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Re: low cost raptor
Reply #1 - 09/05/13 at 08:45:44

This is the one I bought and everyone said I should not have gotten the plastic one. Others will chime in soon enough with links i'm sure. I have not ran this on mine yet. If you still want to go with this kind, though, you can have mine for shipping.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 09/05/13 at 08:49:36

nickthe_human wrote on 09/05/13 at 08:45:44:
This is the one I bought and everyone said I should not have gotten the plastic one. Others will chime in soon enough with links i'm sure. I have not ran this on mine yet. If you still want to go with this kind, though, you can have mine for shipping.

This one is not plastic.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/05/13 at 09:06:47

Some folks have problems with the Chinese knock-offs having the wrong outlet size...
It will still work,.. but requires some creative tubing...

By switching to a Raptor, you're already saving about $50 over the stock one...
I wouldn't risk the Chinese one to save another $15 or so...
With the real Raptor, you're sure it works,.. no hassle, and replacement parts are readily available...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 09/05/13 at 09:12:51

Serowbot wrote on 09/05/13 at 09:06:47:
Some folks have problems with the Chinese knock-offs having the wrong outlet size...
It will still work,.. but requires some creative tubing...

By switching to a Raptor, you're already saving about $50 over the stock one...
I wouldn't risk the Chinese one to save another $15 or so...
With the real Raptor, you're sure it works,.. no hassle, and replacement parts are readily available...

Are we sure this one is a back-alley knock off?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/05/13 at 09:22:37

Noop.... not sure of nuttin' unless it comes in a bag that says Yamaha and has a Yamaha part number...

That's the problem...
PS.. don't trust the pictures either.... (I bought a battery once, and it arrived with tin cable lugs that vibrated off in 10 miles... the picture showed proper lead lugs)(I did get a refund)...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 09/05/13 at 09:29:24

I'm not recommending this thing, particularly.  I'm just wondering if it might be made in the same factory as the one you'd buy at a Yamaha dealer.   If so, it is probably a worthwhile deal.

I looked at the raptor installed on my RYCA.  It looks similar to the  photos on the ebay page, but not exactly the same mold marks, stamped numbers, etc.  That may or may not mean anything.

This thing may work just fine.  

I'd probably just spend another $10 or so and get the Yamaha part.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/05/13 at 09:51:37

Right... it would almost certainly work...  but,.. I wouldn't guarantee that it would have the correct outlet size,.. or that it wouldn't weep, or have good gasket sealing... ... or function as smoothly...
Chinese castings are of varying quality depending on the manufacturer ... you can never be sure...

If the Yamaha Raptor is made in China,... they have a good source...

...but,.. if you just wanted as cheap as possible,.. I think it would work... even possibly as good as a Yamaha...
I just won't risk it where control of fuel is concerned..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/05/13 at 09:56:55

The easiest way to identify the REAL Yamaha Raptor petcock vs. the knock offs....is the spigot.  The real raptor has a brass spigot that is made of thin tubing and the end has been flared.

The knock offs have a spigot that is machined and has a slight smaller OD, as well as a small ID as the the material is slightly thicker.

When I bought my Yamaha Raptor from Ron Ayers is was $ 18.46....and the shipping was $ 8.00 - total was $ 26.46.

Copy with machined brass spigot.

Original with flared tubing spigot.

The Chinese copies have a bit smaller fuel spigot.  This can be corrected by installing the next size smaller hose and forcing it over the larger carb inlet.....or removing the spring clamp and installing a screw clamp at the petcock to force the tubing tight around the smaller spigot.  There may be a reduced flow......maybe it won't be too little.

The copy petcock may be durable and work fine.....I thought buying the one that had the correct size fuel spigot was the better choice and worth the extra cost.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/05/13 at 10:30:46

I walked into a Local Business & layed less than $30.00 down & walked out w/ an Oficial Yamaha Raptor petcock. No question in my heart is it would work, no waiting, no credit card over the internet AND I suport a local merchant. IIRC, it cost me about 26 bux..
Why all the drama? Go BUY one,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 09/05/13 at 11:38:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/05/13 at 10:30:46:
I walked into a Local Business & layed less than $30.00 down & walked out w/ an Oficial Yamaha Raptor petcock. No question in my heart is it would work, no waiting, no credit card over the internet AND I suport a local merchant. IIRC, it cost me about 26 bux..

What drama?

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #11 - 09/05/13 at 12:56:19

I have the cheap knock off and I've only had 2 issues so far the brass outlet fell out, easy enough to put back in and tap into place again. One of the front plate screw striped the threading out of the cast part another easy enough fix with the next size up self tapping screw.

And I've not had any flow issues ridden about 9000 miles on it without and flow issues.

I haven't tried the seal kits for the raptor on it but they look the same so it may even take yamaha seal kits.

still should have gotten oem

IP Logged
Roberto1444
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #12 - 09/06/13 at 14:14:31

US $60+ ??? Steal!

US $17.72 + $6.95 shipping @ http://www.boats.net/
Their is the authentic Yamaha part, I bought one from them.

Nice, nice, very nice. So many different people in the same device. (Kurt Vonnegut)
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/06/13 at 16:26:49

I ordered the OEM Yamaha Raptor from CheapCycleParts.com. Don't recall the cost. The correct part is actually for a 2003 Yamaha ATV (may be a range of years, don't know). The service was excellent and the part arrived within 4 days. A week later the stock unit pooped out! Easy change, draining the fuel tank was the most difficult part. Go with the real Raptor, pay the money. PN SLP-24500-01-00 Raptor 660 YFM 660R.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/06/13 at 16:52:09

Gyrobob wrote on 09/05/13 at 11:38:46:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/05/13 at 10:30:46:

Is this thing any good?  I'll bet all the raptors (Yamaha or not) are not made in Japan, but some are probably better than others.

The worry a\bout which one is good,, why sweat it? Why not support a local merchant?
What drama?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:23:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › low cost raptor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.