Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
96 Suzuki Savage Electrical Issue (Read 75 times)
insguydr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

96 Suzuki Savage Electrical Issue
09/05/13 at 07:03:54

Started about a month ago, when it seemed blinkers would not blink and indicator light was just solid.  Then once when I flippled blinker switch from L to R the bike completely shut down.  Blew fuse under seat.  Replaced fuse but wasn't sure where the short was so stopped using blinkers the past few weeks.  Then, all of a sudden the horn didn't work.  Few days later, headlight out.

All other components work, brakes, clutch in to start, ignition, plate light, etc.  Appears to me that because eveything has to do with Left Hand Combination Switch, this entire unit needs to be replaced.  To do this involves tank removal, harnesses, etc.  

Questions are, does this sound like correct diagnosis?  A way to make sure before proceeding down this path?  Anything else jump out to anyone that something else may be the problem?

Thank you in advance for your comments!  Dave.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 96 Suzuki Savage Electrical Issue
Reply #1 - 09/05/13 at 07:10:04

It is not unheard of that the wires in the left bar harness become broken or worn through.  You need to take the tank off and see what is going on with that left harness.  Look for broken or frayed wires.  If the problem is in the harness you can usually splice the wires and use tape or heat shrink tubing to repair the insulation.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
insguydr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/05/13 at 07:17:54

I started with the left handlebar bracket and everything seems to look fine right at switch....you're talking about the wires below tank and into seat area I assume?...makes sense this would be most likely culprit area....thanks Dave!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/05/13 at 07:51:37

The wiring harness makes a sharp bend near the place wher the forks attach to the frame (stearing head), and flexes everytime you turn the bars.  The harness divides and part of it goes into the headlight bucket, to the horn, and to the connector under the tank.  Most of the wire breaks occur where the wire bends or rubs on something.

IP Logged
insguydr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/05/13 at 08:20:35

you're awesome Dave....got the tank off and all wires look ok visably. Found the harness area you're talking about right above the fork/handlebar area....so do you have to strip off/cut off the outer plastic coating of the harness to view the wires?  Then repair that somehow without buying an entire new one? Thank you Dave!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/05/13 at 08:34:25

At this point.......what happens and what works when you turn the key on.....and wiggle that wiring harness?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/05/13 at 08:37:50

Just quick note here.  There is a big black connector on the left side, up under the tank, towards the front that services that wire bundle.
It would be a good idea to take it apart and reconnect. (If not already done).
Why?  Because moving the tank (taking it off or putting it on) has a nasty tendency to knock that connector loose.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
insguydr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/05/13 at 08:56:57

problem isolated to left hand side.  no horn, no headlight.  Blinker to left comes on but doesn't blink.  same with right.  switching back and forth from left to right is what blows one of the two 20amp fuse under seat that shuts down bike completely.  

Unhooked the harness from bike handlebar and pinched strait the two bends from turning the bike in harness, but had no affect.  

One thing that kind of catches my eye is the turn signal switch is very touchy.  Pusing to signal to left no issue, but when moving back to neutral, right comes on.....wonder if entire Combination Switch needs to be replaced?  Thank you !!!

IP Logged
insguydr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/05/13 at 09:01:48

still wondering if I should strip off harness to be able to physically view the wires from Left Hand Combination Switch to the engine start and stop switch 10 pin electrical connector??  Or just replace entire Combo Switch and harness wires....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:21:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 96 Suzuki Savage Electrical Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.