Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Caliper Model Crossover (Read 122 times)
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Front Caliper Model Crossover
09/04/13 at 13:52:07

Out riding today and my front caliper decided to not operate anymore. Lots of terrible grinding and little stopping  Shocked

At any rate, looking to get a used caliper of eBay.

I cross referenced my caliper model number (59300-24B30-999) specified for my 1996 Savage and was given a range of years from 1996-2004.

However, though that does open me up to getting a used caliper with lesser miles from 2004, I was wondering if anyone knew if higher years also worked? I realize the case can be that a new model number is warranted over some pretty minute things that don't matter for fitment. Anyone have any experience in this swap matter?

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front Caliper Model Crossover
Reply #1 - 09/04/13 at 13:56:55

all years fit

WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #2 - 09/04/13 at 14:19:06

Are you sure that you need new calipers? You aren't just running on the metal of your brake pads? Metal on metal gives the same symptoms you've described... or so I've been told.  Tongue

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/04/13 at 14:24:29

Betcha just need some new brake pads .....

I can't remember anybody having to replace a caliper, they are easily rebuildable by folks like us ....  

IF they are bad that is -- sorta rare actually.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #4 - 09/04/13 at 15:32:39

I'll certainly look into the pads being an issue. There still seems to be pad though. Maybe just not enough. Maybe I'm just looking at them stupid. Not sure.

My main concern of a failure of some sort was primarily from when I pulled the brake handle; there was zero braking response.

My first thought to that situation was that maybe my master cylinder went bad. I recently rebuilt that at the beginning of the year, so I'd like to think it is still fine.

So the first time I pulled the handle and realized nothing was happening, the grinding was not present. Only after I pulled over and actuated the brake handle a few times and regained resistance did the grinding come about. I probably had to actuate the handle like 5 full times before I could feel the brake working again.

After I could feel the brake again, I got back on and started off slow. When I pulled the brake handle, the bike would brake, but the grinding noise was there. It didn't feel like normal braking either.

You know, this does sound Grin more like a pad problem. But my concern is why did my brake handle suddenly go to free swinging, and then come back to life after actuating? I seriously thought my brake line had been cut for a moment. Did a sudden pad failure require extra space to be made up between the disk and pads that only actuation could solve?

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #5 - 09/04/13 at 15:38:39

If there was air in the line, pumping the handle will take that space up. You may have lost the last of your brake pad and needed to pump up the brake. I'd definitely open that up and look before I ordered a new caliper.

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #6 - 09/04/13 at 17:46:22

Yeah, so on closer inspection, zero pad left. New brake pads ordered. Thanks for your advice guys! Haha! I think I just like thinking everything is the worst case scenario so I have an excuse to take something apart =P Need to stop making more work for myself  Roll Eyes

MPGs please
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/04/13 at 19:03:48

Clean & lube the pins the caliper slides on.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #8 - 09/04/13 at 20:06:32

Duly noted!  Smiley

MPGs please
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #9 - 09/08/13 at 10:37:48

Wanted to do a follow up on this crazy junk. Pulled the old pads off today and put on the new ones. Here is a picture of the two old ones. It looks like the pad just fell off all of a sudden. A lot of rust underneath there. I guess it detached itself from the metal backing plate. They were BikeMaster brand if anyone wants to know. Running an EBC set now.

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:28:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Caliper Model Crossover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.